Doing A Runner In A Worst Case Scenario

ukrules

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go if / when the flooding hits the Sukhumvit / Asok area or basic supplies completely dry up which I imagine will happen in a worst case scenario and the entire city is flooded.

I'm considering going to some other country and maybe renting a place for a couple of weeks to a month on a weekly basis. Somewhere with good internet access, etc.

Beaches, etc are irrelevant, any major city with an airport and reasonable facilities will be fine.

I'm looking for somewhere with good supplies of water, european food and a half decent internet connection wherever I go to.

I guess it would have to be outside of Thailand so I'm thinking of other local countries.

I'm probably ruling out places in Thailand like Hua Hin, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, etc as from what I've heard they are overrun with other Bangkok residents who've already made a move due to their own situations which are much worse than my own and they are already flooded.

I read elsewhere that water supply issues are becoming a problem in Phuket which to me suggests the entire country will face these kind of problems even if they don't have them at the moment.

Does anyone know what internet connections are like in Vientiane.

having never been anywhere else besides Thailand in SEA other than Indonesia and Vietnam I'd say try HCMC which is lovely this time of year...with all that a westerner desires (got to sort out the visa before traveling, tourist visa good for a month) plus good connections to Thailand when the flood withdraws...I prefer Hanoi meself but the climate is quite a bit cooler and requires warm clothes in winter as there's not much sun...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

A strange feeling in lower SUK its like the eye of a storm waiting for the wall to hit. A good location would be Cambodia its inexpensive (way cheaper than BKK) and friendly natives,

My complex in lower SUK has a family mart , 3 restaurants and 2 girly bars in the condo , Im staying :)

A strange feeling in lower SUK its like the eye of a storm waiting for the wall to hit. A good location would be Cambodia its inexpensive (way cheaper than BKK) and friendly natives,

My complex in lower SUK has a family mart , 3 restaurants and 2 girly bars in the condo , Im staying :)

life at the trendy must be grand.

"....ruling out places in Thailand like Hua Hin, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, etc as from what I've heard they are overrun with other Bangkok residents who've already made a move....."

Don't believe everything you hear.

Indeed... lots of places. I'm in Pranburi, which is half hour south of Hua Hin.

post-18167-0-40180200-1320648629_thumb.j

If the water has to be up to my knees, I know where I would rather be!

Lots of space here in 1,2,3 bedroom villas with full kitchens. I don't want to get busted by the mods for posting a link / advertising, so send me a PM if you (or anyone else) is interested.

Nice in Vientiane at the moment, and internet is way faster than Bangkok.

Pure bullshxt, no hotel has fast internet in Lao, not even 5 stars, so you must live in slum at Bkk, and even :-)

The only fast internet is at True coffee in Vientiane, they must have a direct connection with Thailand !

Pure bullshxt, no hotel has fast internet in Lao, not even 5 stars, so you must live in slum at Bkk, and even :-)

The only fast internet is at True coffee in Vientiane, they must have a direct connection with Thailand !

Wind your neck in sunshine.

Have you been to every hotel in Vientiane?

Based on my experience of wifi spots in Vientiane and Bangkok ( I travel to Bkk once a month on business) Vientiane wins hands down.

:whistling:

My personal chice...others may disagree...is Penang.

Nice city, beaches and international restaurants near by (if you want that). A lot of Chinese and seriously good good Chinese food stalls.

Satay and peanut sauce, cold Tiger beer in bootles, and good fresh seafood

Internet is available...better than in much of Thailand I would say.

Rents are not bad also.

Also a lot of friendly Chinese/Malay women and Thai women who "emigrated" to Malaysia for the business opportunity involved...if you see what I mean.

Not so in-your-face as Thailand...but if you're want it, they know what you want, and why you're there.

I prefer Penang to just about any other city in Malaysia.

Nice city, beaches and international restaurants near by (if you want that). A lot of Chinese and seriously good good Chinese food stalls.

Rents are not bad also.

Also a lot of friendly Chinese/Malay women and Thai women who "emigrated" to Malaysia for the business opportunity involved...if you see what I mean.

Not so in-your-face as Thailand...but if you're want it, they know what you want, and why you're there.

How dare you ! You left out the fact that it has some of the best Indian food in SE Asia :rolleyes:

Personally, I think the supply problem is going to get Worse. Much Worse. the floods are now here for an extended time and slowly Creaping into the heart of Bangkok. Infastructure of supply is disrupted and places far away are experiencing many many shortages.

In rural areas, life will go on rlying on the usual local supplies, but in a Big City like Bangkok, it will be increasingly difficult.

Sinokville or Phnom Pehn Cambodia, Clark Angeles Philippines, Penang. All fiarly affordable and western friendly.

Should not have a problem with food supplies and have plenty of western foods.

Edit to include opinion of severity of supply shortages.

Edited by KimoMax

Rents are not bad also.

How dare you ! You left out the fact that it has some of the best Indian food in SE Asia :rolleyes:

yeah...I'd say for a tourist experience with good food Georgetown in Penang is a good destination...fantastic old colonial architecture, musta been like Singapore was like after the war, excellent for wandering around on foot...but I was there about 8 years ago for a visa and might be different now...booze ain't cheap if you choose the public life and there are plenty of ladies around...lotsa indian sidewalk restaurants with the tandoor oven right on the street, best indian food I've ever had...also the range of food places in the big shopping center in the center of town is mind boggling...it spirals up into the sky...

others have said in other threads that Georgetown is a nice place to hang for awhile...cheap accommodation and etc...

Rents are not bad also.

yeah...I'd say for a tourist experience with good food Georgetown in Penang is a good destination...

I second Penang, but Vietnam also has great food of all different varieties and Hanoi won't be very cold until December. Saigon stays comfortable during cool season and has everything that the OP wants, but I prefer Hanoi if given the choice.

Based on my experience of wifi spots in Vientiane and Bangkok ( I travel to Bkk once a month on business) Vientiane wins hands down.

Tried all the best hotels there and confirm that one must be stupid to believe that Wifi is better than in Thailand.

Once or twice a month also.

Rents are not bad also.

yeah...I'd say for a tourist experience with good food Georgetown in Penang is a good destination...fantastic old colonial architecture, musta been like Singapore was like after the war, excellent for wandering around on foot...but I was there about 8 years ago for a visa and might be different now...booze ain't cheap if you choose the public life and there are plenty of ladies around...lotsa indian sidewalk restaurants with the tandoor oven right on the street, best indian food I've ever had...also the range of food places in the big shopping center in the center of town is mind boggling...it spirals up into the sky...

others have said in other threads that Georgetown is a nice place to hang for awhile...cheap accommodation and etc...

So right about the colonial architecture, there used to be so much more of it. Fortunately its listing as a UNESCO world heritage site in 2008 has rescued part of it from the developers. Penang museum is a gem, fascinating reminder of its history. As you said, there are ladies around, however that is more "nudge nudge, wink wink" stuff than the "For Hire" signs that a lot of people here need.

Over and above all that for me though its attraction is its proximity to Langkawi, which is actually where I would head for. The type of island paradise that Thailand decided was better to overdevelop. A duty free paradise where you realise how expensive the booze is in LOS let alone back home ! No girlie bars though, major drawback for those who would otherwise flock there.

Still, as another poster on the thread said "Penang is a dump" no doubt Langkawi would be similarly categorised.

Edited by roamer

Tried all the best hotels there and confirm that one must be stupid to believe that Wifi is better than in Thailand.

Once or twice a month also.

http://www.laos-pdr.com/?p=572:whistling: