Massive Traffic Incident On The Darkside

Mobi

I have no idea what happened, and was hoping by now that someone might have posted the details already, but it seems not, so here goes.

At around 4 a.m. this morning the power went off in my home and didn’t come back until around 6 a.m.

At around 12 noon I drove out of my home at Lake Mabprachan to drive round the lake to Pattaya. Going south, just past the 7/11- Siam CC junction and right next to the turn off to Horseshoe Point, I encountered a major road block. There must have been at least 3 large ‘cherry pickers' there, plus TOT trucks, 3 cable TV pick-ups, and God knows what else. Talk about spaghetti junction - there was a huge mass of twisted, tangled wires and cables all over the ground and as far as I could discern at least one pylon had crashed down – maybe more.

The road was completely blocked, but there was no sign of any damaged /crashed vehicles, (well it was at least 6 hours since the incident) , except I did spot what appeared to be a tangled wheel in the middle of the road.

Returning from Pattaya at 3.30 this afternoon I had a bet with my lady whether it the road would be passable. She thought it would be, I thought not.

I won, the utility vehicles and cherry pickers were still there and the road is still blocked. There is still a mass of cables all over the road.

Does anyone have any idea what transpired to cause this mess. Presumably it must have involved at least one very large vehicle to have caused such collateral damage.

And, to all you guys who rarely have a good word to say about Thai workers, take note. Looking at the devastation, it is a miracle that my power, AND MY CABLE INTERNET, were restored to my home within 2 hours – in the middle of the night.

And when I returned this afternoon, I feared that maybe the power might have been disconnected again, given that dozens of utility workers were still swarming around, in the process of sorting it all out, but not a bit of it - power and internet are still on.

Honestly, if this had happened in the west, you would be lucky to get your power back within 24 hours - let alone 2.

My hats go off to you….

But <deleted> happened???

Anyone????

according to the lady at the builders supply shop, a car travelling at high speed hit the post at about 3-30 am

the post was badly damaged but stayed upright for a while then slowly collapsed across the road taking the cables with it on its own side and dragging down the cables on the other side

that was when the power failed around 4am

my wife was there at 7 am on the school run

after talking with the obviously upset woman owner of the shop, she managed to get around the impact site

at that time no one was in attendance, apparently the woman said were waiting until all agencies could attend at the same time now the sun was up

when she returned by the same route at 8am there was some action and a few trucks but again she managed to get around the mess

anyway i went out about 9-30am and went the other way around the lake

i came home an hour ago and saw all the trucks and was diverted through the school football field

what happened to the vehicle or its occupants, i do not know, my mare of a wife forgot to ask.........

Might have guessed it would have been a lady driver; who would believe that one little lady could cause all that mayhem!!!

No replies - its a rhetorical question.

Anyway, wherever the blame may lie, I hope she didn't lose her life.

I just took a walk down there and as I was in the area, the workers finally finished off and re-opened the road - it has been closed all day.

The only downside of restoring all the services is that power has now been restored to the week long Loy Krathong temple fair, and the peace and tranquillity of the Darkside Lake has once again been shattered by the deafening boom-boom-boom of a sound system bigger than that used by Queen....

Ah well, at least they shut down at 1 a.m. I have known worse.