Thai Condo

I'm buying a condo in Bangkok, but plan to stay there only 4-6 months a year. Are there companies that can take care of the place during my absence (dusting/cleaning, paying the utility bills, etc.)? Are costs reasonable? Thanks for your input.

I'm buying a condo in Bangkok, but plan to stay there only 4-6 months a year.  Are there companies that can take care of the place during my absence (dusting/cleaning, paying the utility bills, etc.)?  Are costs reasonable?  Thanks for your input.

I have my telephone and electric bills automatically paid from a Thai bank account, works great.

Monthly condo fees can be paid in advance whenever you're in the country, usually no big deal if you're late as long as you catch up. I just pay the a full year at a time.

I would not want anyone coming into my place during absences, no matter how long. I'd prefer a little extra cleaning upon return. The manager of the building you move into might be able to arrange something, or the real estate agent you bought through.

No problem leaving a condo empty - but take normal precautions.

Make sure you have good locks - at least one dead lock.

Swithc off the electricity, water and shut all windows. No need to clean the place.

If you leave draws and cupboards open there is much lest chance of mould on clothing on return.

Leave the key with someone trusted - ie someone who will not rent the condo out for a few months your away! This is only in case someone has to get in, ie you left some papers in the condo and now need them.

As said bills can be paid direct from the bank, but it takes a couple of months to be sure the system is set up. Otherwise you can pre-pay on all bills. Just go in with a wad of money and they happily accept it.

Some people leave money with the condo to pay bills - if you trust them that can also work.

From my experience you must pay the bills, I returned back to Thailand one time to find the water meter had been removed because the bill was not paid :o , now I have the bills set up on direct debit, I have found this to be a good system.

To set up electric and water on direct debit, you must first go to the electric and water company and get the correct form to fill in, then take it too your bank, they stamp it, take a copy and then you must return it to the electric-water company. A bit of a pain to set up but saves a lot of time there after. :D

From my experience you must pay the bills, I returned back to Thailand one time to find the water meter had been removed because the bill was not paid  :o , now I have the bills set up on direct debit, I have found this to be a good system.

To set up electric and water on direct debit, you must first go to the electric and water company and get the correct form to fill in, then take it too your bank, they stamp it, take a copy and then you must return it to the electric-water company. A bit of a pain to set up but saves a lot of time there after.  :D

I think it largely depends on whether you pay directly to the water company or via the condo management. I pay for my water to the condo management, and there is no problems with paying late. Actually having had my condo for 15 months now, I have yet to pay anything for water. On my last trip I tried paying what I owed, but they wanted me to wait until I got my next bill.

When I set up my direct debit agreement for electricity with the bank, all I did was fill out a form in the bank (Krung Thai). They arranged the rest with the electricity company.

Sophon

The banks have most of the forms needed for direct debit but the electric company warned me it could take 3-4 months if activated by the bank - I was too lazy to go back to electric company and activated via bank - and it only took 1 month anyway.

True also wanted me to come back - again I guess for quicker activation, but the bank also offered to activate it...

It can be done at the bank only as long as you or they have the form needed.

Cheers!