Problem With Honda Jazz Cooling System - Advice Needed

ThaiLife

My friend owns a Honda Jazz , and has a problem with the cooling system, basically it goes like this

1. Friend buys a bottle of SONAX radiator cleaner from Tesco Lotus

2. Removes an amount of water from the vehicles cooling system

3. Puts in the bottle of radiator cleaner into the cooling system

4. Runs the engine for the stated cleaning time.

5. Parks the car at home and plans to flush the cooling system out later , so then he goes out for the rest of the day

6. Wife sees the vehicle at home and decides to take a trip out for several hours

7. While driving the vehicle the wife notices the red temperature waring light comes on

8. Wife parks the vehicle and goes shopping

9. Wife drives back to home , and warning light does not come on

10. Wife complains to friend that the the red temperature waring light came on while she was using the vehicle

11 Friend then goes to finally flush out the cooling system and on removing the radiator cap, sees a large amount of what looks like Blue crystals formed in side the radiator .

12. Friend flushes the system out , but there are still some blue crystals in side the top of the radiator .

13. Friend takes the vehicle out for a test run , after a short while the red temperature waring light came on and eventually the engine management system shut every thing down and he's stuck at the road side .

14. Friend gets some one to tow him back home.

15. Once home the friend fully removes the vehicle radiator and can see that there are still some internal areas of blue crystals

16. Friend is now going to take the blocked radiator to a repair shop .

So it looks like because the radiator cleaner was not removed from the vehicle as quick as it stated on the bottle, and the vehicle was used for some time after , there was some sort of chemical reaction between the new radiator cleaner liquid and the old cooling liquid that was all ready in the cooling system, this then caused the blue crystals to form in the radiator . The other thing that is worrying my friend is the possibility of these blue crystals forming in other parts of the engines cooling system and water pump .

( friend does not know what chemical liquids were all ready in the cooling system as the vehicle was only recently bought second hand )

Any one have a constructive comment / advice about this problem . :jap:

Don't mess with cars. They work fine. All you do by adding chemicals is increase the operating cost of your vehicle. Or, as the case may be, your friend's vehicle. Engine oil additives, fuel system "cleaners", etc. are just snake oil. If your car needed it then the manufacturer would list it in the owner's manual! The only thing you should ever put in the radiator is water and coolant.

/rant

Most likely you can fill the radiator with water, run it for a while (10km on the highway), flush it out, and fill with water and coolant. At that point quit while you are behind. Sorry, while your friend is behind. Is this the same friend for whom you were holding that little bag of weed that mom busted you with in 11th grade?

In interest of full disclosure it should be noted that Monkeyface once used an electric drill to make a hole in the firewall of his new Honda in order to run auxiliary wiring. Monkeyface actually drilled into an air conditioning line in the process. Or, rather- his friend did.

How do you plan to flush the blue crystals from inside the engine block ?

As the radiator is already out, there are 2 hoses from the engine. Stick a garden hose into the upper hose and flush until the water emerging from the lower hose is clean. Then remove the thermostat and check it so it's not stuck.

this appears to be a classic case of "trying to fix something that isn't broken" :blink:

fer chrissakes, what is the jazz, a few years old? why in the world would it need a flushing

with special chemicals :ermm: anyway i guess that's irrelevant now. so it's overheating now

and what must be done to repair it. probably yank the radiator out and take it to a genuine

radiator repair shop and see if their chemical tank can clean-out the "play chemical crystals"

that have most likely blocked the tubes (as the other poster suggested) for starters :ermm:

or they can rod it our or whatever they do nowadays, short of buying a new radiator :(

Edited by cali4995

How do you plan to flush the blue crystals from inside the engine block ?

If you can work out what will disolve the crystals without damaging anything else on the engine or radiator..... Use it to flush the engine

Edited by handydog

Just reading through this Jazz cooling system problem. I was talking to a friend the other day who has a 2009 Honda Jazz automatic with a blown head gasket. the car has around 45,000kms on the clock and has been serviced at Honda. strange that such relatively new cars have problems like head gaskets ect ?

Just reading through this Jazz cooling system problem. I was talking to a friend the other day who has a 2009 Honda Jazz automatic with a blown head gasket. the car has around 45,000kms on the clock and has been serviced at Honda. strange that such relatively new cars have problems like head gaskets ect ?

i think it's more like the current trend. smaller engines usually running aluminum-alloy cylinder heads,

which warp more easily than the old cast-iron ones.

higher operating temps for efficiency, often "electric cooling fans" instead of belt-driven ones.

there's just much less tolerance for anything to go wrong, and the amount of time the engine can

withstand running out of the normal range without damage is much less. colant leaks out, holed

radiator, damaged cooling system hoses, temperature sensing units for fan faulty, stuck thermostat

any one of these conditions can rapidly lead to overheated and the warped head / blown gasket :o

oh yes i forgot, add to that list flushing engine with tesco's miracle radiator overhaul in a can :D

Edited by cali4995

i think it's more like the current trend. smaller engines usually running aluminum-alloy cylinder heads,

higher operating temps for efficiency, often "electric cooling fans" instead of belt-driven ones.

there's just much less tolerance for anything to go wrong, and the amount of time the engine can

withstand running out of the normal range without damage is much less. colant leaks out, holed

radiator, damaged cooling system hoses, temperature sensing units for fan faulty, stuck thermostat

any one of these conditions can rapidly lead to overheated and the warped head / blown gasket :o

oh yes i forgot, add to that list flushing engine with tesco's miracle radiator overhaul in a can :D

Iam happy to be corrected but it was my understanding with these new modern fandangled engines that the ECU shut the engine off when it detects an over heating issue, if this is true how does the engine over heat ?

Iam happy to be corrected but it was my understanding with these new modern fandangled engines that the ECU shut the engine off when it detects an over heating issue, if this is true how does the engine over heat ?

You Little Devil Spooney , you know the answer dont you.!!. We seem to have a similar sence of fun.biggrin.gif. It shuts down if you Fart sometimes.

I dont think sonax do a radiator flush product, they do a sealant for leaky radiators which i think by the blue crystals is what is was, these type of sealants solidify when coming into contact with air, so sealing the leak, they can be run indefinitly in a cooling system, so the mrs isnt at fault here, the op did say that the car had overheating problems before adding the stuff,

Spoonman wrote: "Iam happy to be corrected but it was my understanding with these new modern fandangled

engines that the ECU shut the engine off when it detects an over heating issue, if this is true how does the engine over heat ?"

i'm just going by the story. it sounds like they were doing a considerable amount of driving with the red

engine temp light going on and off. i guess in this case, you're right, the engine management system finally

did shut it down. but i would not want to bet money that this vehicle escaped from all this damage-free. as

Lickey says, i think we're missing some details in the story, like why was it overheating in the first place? :blink:

after the thermostat, the number one reaso for overheating is radiator blockage. the channels in the fins are so small that they can clog up and in the UK the old honda/rover models were notorious for it.

radweld or what ever was added will not clean the radiator out. best to simply replace it, an easy job.

If you live in BKK with heavy trafic, the other factor can be the thermostatically controlled electric cooling fans, if they dont come on, your engine will fry.

The ecu will be preset to cut out or go into a limp mode once the temp sensor reaches a certain temperature. ( temp sensors screw up too and are cheap). HOWEVER.. if the engine is now boiling and the engine cuts out, then there is 0 water flow thru it . an ECu isnt a replacement for your brain, you should check the temp gauge when driving.

PS. the channels in the car are a lot wider than the rad. dont worry about the engine and the crystals, get the rad replaced,

The ecu will be preset to cut out or go into a limp mode once the temp sensor reaches a certain temperature. ( temp sensors screw up too and are cheap). HOWEVER.. if the engine is now boiling and the engine cuts out, then there is 0 water flow thru it . an ECu isnt a replacement for your brain, you should check the temp gauge when driving.

A lot of these new modern cars do not have a temp gauge, girl at work her Vios (is the vios the shitbox that looks like a Jazz ?) doesn't have one, she recently had LPG installed and the fuc_kwits forgot to do up a water hose behind the engine and it was pumping the coolant out, took me fuc_kin ages to work out where the water was disappearing to. her's cut shut itself off just after the red warning light came on.

A lot of these new modern cars do not have a temp gauge, girl at work her Vios (is the vios the shitbox that looks like a Jazz ?) doesn't have one, she recently had LPG installed and the fuc_kwits forgot to do up a water hose behind the engine and it was pumping the coolant out, took me fuc_kin ages to work out where the water was disappearing to. her's cut shut itself off just after the red warning light came on.

Nar, the Toyota 'shitbox' that looks similar-ish to the Jazz is called a Yaris ;)

Off topic but, the mind boggles why you'd buy a Yaris and convert it to LPG rather than just buying a car that uses less fuel to begin with... :blink:

Edited by MoonRiverOasis