Tuktuk Driivers Scam Tourists

farangchef

I can't see any slander in the post you highlight. Is it because they used the term American? Is that now offensive? Hehe.

The quote you highlight seems to be FROM an American, comparing the price to back home.....

You are all pissed off because the tuk tuk driver wanted 50 baht for a short trip? To take you exactly where you wanted to go without any other passengers? Come on....it's less than $2 American....

Just knew it wouldn't be long before a TV poster decided to slander someone's nationality. Can't change the stripes on a Zebra.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are all pissed off because the tuk tuk driver wanted 50 baht for a short trip? To take you exactly where you wanted to go without any other passengers? Come on....it's less than $2 American....

Just knew it wouldn't be long before a TV poster decided to slander someone's nationality. Can't change the stripes on a Zebra.

It needs some oral. biggrin.gif

The Taxi-Meter is I think an insider joke in Chiang Mai. None of them have meters, or will go for a metered rate. If you ask "but... it says "Taxi-Meter"... they'll laugh. One of them even explained to me there's no way he'd make enough money if he actually had a meter.

I think it's quite funny too: To not offer the one feature that receives the most attention in your advertising. TIT :D :D

Maybe they would have more customers to drive around if they actually used a meter.

I don't use them because they are normally a lot more expencive than a tuk tuk, but I would if they were cheaper. Ahhh air con.

I think for the most part, I eat a variety of cuisines, including those from the west. We don't moan about that because we are used to it, having no doubt done the same in our home countries. It doesnt have to be expensive either.

What I do like to moan about is people whinging because not everyone has to survive on 20 baht meals, and the people that try and twist that to being someone not being worthy of living here. You will find many Thai people eating international cuisine, albeit perhaps a Thai with a bit more money than another Thai. That must really put your head in a spin!

That reminds me about being at an Italian restaurant a month ago, at the Arcobaleno. The food was fine, but I was quite surprised to see that of the six

tables in use at the time (mine included), three of the tables consisted of what at least looked like Thai-only groups/couples.

Could it be because there's only one taxi co-op, and only current and former Red Bus drivers can become taxi drivers? (Not sure; pls. confirm)?

If meter taxis could be opened to the free market then a company could jump in offering fair meter pricing and knock the rest dead, or force them to get with the times.

Often go there and am in the same situation.

I think for the most part, I eat a variety of cuisines, including those from the west. We don't moan about that because we are used to it, having no doubt done the same in our home countries. It doesnt have to be expensive either.

What I do like to moan about is people whinging because not everyone has to survive on 20 baht meals, and the people that try and twist that to being someone not being worthy of living here. You will find many Thai people eating international cuisine, albeit perhaps a Thai with a bit more money than another Thai. That must really put your head in a spin!

That reminds me about being at an Italian restaurant a month ago, at the Arcobaleno. The food was fine, but I was quite surprised to see that of the six

tables in use at the time (mine included), three of the tables consisted of what at least looked like Thai-only groups/couples.

Actually I am an American, as is he, so it was just a comparison we both can understand. Why would someone slander their own nationality?

Wait a minute, are you slandering me, or zebras?

I donot know which is worse, post about sin sod, double pricing, or if it cost more than 5baht it is a scam----BORING. I had to pay 12baht yesterday for lemon ice tea and it cost me 12 baht must have been a scam because 10 years ago it cost 5 baht. But I do know a scam and it is starbucks some where around 100baht for a lemon ice tea.

Starbucks have the worst service of any coffee house in cm over priced you order stand around waiting to pay 30 or 40 baht more than a nice little place that gives you a big smile when you

walk in a free glass of water why anyone ever goes to Starbucks that lives here ill never know iv seen a lot of want to be high so thais that sit outside the one in the night market just to be seen lol

If meter taxis could be opened to the free market then a company could jump in offering fair meter pricing and knock the rest dead, or force them to get with the times.

I'm not convinced meter taxis will ever work or survive in Chiang Mai. The farang population that uses transport is minute compared to the Thai's and with a meter cab needing to have a starting price of at least 35 baht+ for a short hop, I don't think the Thai's would go for it. Also, I think a large percentage of tourists quite like the novelty of hopping on and off songtheaws for just a few baht as do lots of ex pats. I really don't think there would be enough demand that would allow the meter cabs to drive around empty looking for fares, given the way fuel prices have gone. It's a nice idea., but I think it's a non starter......now if Chiang Mai was like Bangkok, Tokyo or New York, maybe.

I'm not convinced meter taxis will ever work or survive in Chiang Mai. The farang population that uses transport is minute compared to the Thai's and with a meter cab needing to have a starting price of at least 35 baht+ for a short hop, I don't think the Thai's would go for it. Also, I think a large percentage of tourists quite like the novelty of hopping on and off songtheaws for just a few baht as do lots of ex pats. I really don't think there would be enough demand that would allow the meter cabs to drive around empty looking for fares, given the way fuel prices have gone. It's a nice idea., but I think it's a non starter......now if Chiang Mai was like Bangkok, Tokyo or New York, maybe.

Thais go for it in Bangkok, and percentage wise the farang population is completely insignificant there. To the point where farangs really don't matter to the overall business success. You may be right on cruising around town, but at least they could be at more spots around town, and calling as cab by phone (for a small added fee) is also an option.

Thais go for it in Bangkok, and percentage wise the farang population is completely insignificant there. To the point where farangs really don't matter to the overall business success. You may be right on cruising around town, but at least they could be at more spots around town, and calling as cab by phone (for a small added fee) is also an option.

I think the Thai's in Bangkok are a different proposition from what the Thai's in Chiang Mai are used to.

Sure, there are some Thai's that will go for it, but I think it will be a very small minority. As for calling, I don't think the people waiting with 20 baht in hand, would want extra money lobbed on top of the 35 baht + price before the cab even moves.

I may be wrong.

<br />
<br />This is not Phuket.<br /><br />The price of a tuk tuk is negotiable. If you don't like the price you have been quoted, ask another driver, simple as that. You can also try negotiating.<br /><br />One thing for sure is you will not get a ride for under 50 Baht. Thais don't complain, why do so many foreigners whine all over this forum over 10, 20, or 30 Baht? What is wrong with some of you people? This is not the Thailand it was 20 years ago. Have any of you whiners taken a look at what it costs to feed a family and send kids to school in Thailand these days? These people that operate tuk tuks and songtaews are barely getting by. I know a tuk tuk driver personally. He rents his tuk tuk. His rent is something like 15,000 per month. If he is one day late on the payment, thugs show up at his house warning him that he has 3 days to pay. On the 4th day his tuk tuk is confiscated if he has not paid. Come on whiners, get real.<br /><br />This is not a scam.<br />
<br /><br />The price of renting a tuk tuk has gone up hugely then. Three years ago a mate of mine was paying 185bt a day to rent a tuktuk. Add onto that the 100bt he had to pay for gas and he had to make 285bt before he began to see a profit. He did rent a song thaew for a while and that cost 12,000bt a month but he had to put down a 15,000bt deposit. Tuktuks don't require a deposit to rent.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Three years ago the expat club had a tuk tuk driver that was about the price he quoted including insurance.

That was the price he quoted the expat club? If so he was onto a reasonable thing. As I said the cost to rent was 185bt a day although that doesn't include any insurance. If I see my mate I'll ask him what it is now.

Here's some praise for public transport in Chiang Mai; not really worth starting a new topic over, but this morning I had to get to Thapae Gate from well South of Airport Plaza (near Tesco) to Thapae Gate; 30 seconds after walking out the door a Red Bus stops, I state the destination, he nods and 20 baht later I'm there. (Was already planning on grabbing a Yellow one and walking the final bit, but there's no arguing with this kind of value.)

That's cheaper than anything in Bangkok (or Pattaya, for a similar trip outside the main loop) and I got reminded of the benefits of Red Bus songthaews: the morning breeze, taking in sights & sounds and the social factor of meeting random people on the bus to chat with.

I love this town.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think the Songtheaw idea is great and the Tuk Tuk's aren't bad either.

Tuk Tuks don't scam or prey, they're trying to make a living. Sure they'll try to get the best price that they can, but I can't think of too many times during all my years here, where we haven't agreed a price and he's driven away. I always stop one that's working. Last week I wanted to get from the Shell station past Central Huey Kaew to Padad. He quoted 150 Baht and went for 80 Baht. If he wouldn't have gone for 80 no problem, another would. The thing about Tuk Tuks is that for most, some money is better than none, what they feel they lose on a hard bargainer, they will make up on a soft punter....they rarely turn down money.

My family use one tuk-tuk man when we need extra transport and we've recommended him to many others who have been more than happy.

And he speaks pretty good English.

He's not available at certain times of the day because he has many permanent jobs to pick up kids from school and take them home etc., mostly because he's very safety conscious (for a Thai).

PM me if you want his name and number.

It is not only tourists they are trying to rip off.Last night my wife and I wanted to go to Gecho near Pandip centre.Our local team of Tuk Tuk drivers quoted us 150bt for a normal 60/80bt ride.I asked why so much.Many car,take long time.Ok How about 100bt? No 150bt they said.Ok my wife will drive her motorbike.There were no red taxies at the time.I am not tight or mean but they know us well and are too lazy to work.Most people on this forum are ex-pats and know the score.I will avoid these blatent rip off merchants and use red taxies when I dont want to drive.

That's cheaper than anything in Bangkok

In a non-air-conditioned Bangkok bus you can go from one end of the big city to the other end for just 6.5 to 8 THB (though, depending on the time of day, it may take some hours due to traffic!), which is less than the 20 THB usual fare of the Chiang Mai songthaews, which is not flat either as they may ask for more if they think your destination is far, in which case you may need to negotiate. In a Bangkok bus there is never any negotiation done at all by anyone - everyone just pays the standard rate and the fare collector never cheats.

Edited by hyperdimension

In a non-air-conditioned Bangkok bus you can go from one end of the big city to the other end for just 6.5 to 8 THB (though, depending on the time of day, it may take some hours due to traffic!), which is less than the 20 THB usual fare of the Chiang Mai songthaews, which is not flat either as they may ask for more if they think your destination is far, in which case you may need to negotiate. In a Bangkok bus there is never any negotiation done at all by anyone - everyone just pays the standard rate and the fare collector never cheats.

And who is going to travel around the big mango in a non-air-conditioned bus for hours? Even the Thais I know there that don't have the best paying jobs ride in taxis if they don't have their own car.

And who is going to travel around the big mango in a non-air-conditioned bus for hours? Even the Thais I know there that don't have the best paying jobs ride in taxis if they don't have their own car.

There actually are a whole lot of people who ride the non-aircon buss daily from one end of BKK to the other. I met a girl who spends 2 hours in the morning and up to 4 hours at night getting home this way. She is not alone either.

There actually are a whole lot of people who ride the non-aircon buss daily from one end of BKK to the other. I met a girl who spends 2 hours in the morning and up to 4 hours at night getting home this way. She is not alone either.

I'm sure there are people that live like that. But I was commenting in reference to the poster who was suggesting TV members unhappy with paying 20 Baht for a ride could ride BKK buses for less.

Why are tuktuks here (or anywhere in thailand) more expensive than metered taxis in bangkok?

I mean what is the reason for a much lower quality service which is presumably cheaper to provide (except fuel?) to be more expensive?

The gas (fuel) is also much cheaper than ordinary fuel.

I'm sure there are people that live like that. But I was commenting in reference to the poster who was suggesting TV members unhappy with paying 20 Baht for a ride could ride BKK buses for less.

My comment was focused mostly on value-for-money, in response to WinnieTheKhwai's statement "That's cheaper than anything in Bangkok".

Purely on a baht per Km basis, traveling in Bangkok (in most modes of transport excepting tuk-tuks or motorcycle taxis) is much better value-for-money and without any negotiation hassle.

There are also the more comfortable air-conditioned buses that usually cost 14 to 16 THB, which are still less than Chiang Mai's songthaews for any distance.

Bangkok traffic can be a problem though as I mentioned already, but the BTS and MRT can be a good alternative if traveling in peak times.

Edited by hyperdimension

True; but buses you cannot take from any random spot in town to any other random spot in town. You get the convenience of a taxi in this sense, without the price tag. (The downside is of course that the route the driver takes depends on others in the vehicle, like with a share taxi). Usually though this is manageable by picking one that doesn't have too many people in it.

And of course I left out Chiang Mai buses out of the equation too, those are also cheap. (Comparable to BKK aircon buses I think). Pretty useless, but cheap. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai