Tuktuk Driivers Scam Tourists

farangchef

And of course I left out Chiang Mai buses out of the equation too, those are also cheap. (Comparable to BKK aircon buses I think). Pretty useless, but cheap. ;)

• Do you know a CM bus route?
  • How frequent are they?
  • Do you know the bust stops on that route, or is it anywhere a person puts their hand out or rings the bell.

I ask because I've never used them.

If I'm not driving, then Songtheaws or Tuk Tuks are so convenient.

Edited by uptheos

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And of course I left out Chiang Mai buses out of the equation too, those are also cheap. (Comparable to BKK aircon buses I think). Pretty useless, but cheap. ;)

• How frequent are they?
  • Do you know the bust stops on that route, or is it anywhere a person puts their hand out or rings the bell.

I don't use them, and it also seems I see fewer and fewer of them. The routes don't really make sense either. If there was a Loy Kroh -> Sankamphaeng route that ran until 1am then that would make a big difference.

• How frequent are they?

I don't use them, and it also seems I see fewer and fewer of them. The routes don't really make sense either. If there was a Loy Kroh -> Sankamphaeng route that ran until 1am then that would make a big difference.

Yes, I wondered if they had disappeared altogether.

I saw a Number 6 about 6 months ago with one girl on it sleeping - I think she was the same girl I had seen every other time I saw a Number 6. sleepy.gif

It is not only tourists they are trying to rip off.Last night my wife and I wanted to go to Gecho near Pandip centre.Our local team of Tuk Tuk drivers quoted us 150bt for a normal 60/80bt ride.I asked why so much.Many car,take long time.Ok How about 100bt? No 150bt they said.Ok my wife will drive her motorbike.There were no red taxies at the time.I am not tight or mean but they know us well and are too lazy to work.Most people on this forum are ex-pats and know the score.I will avoid these blatent rip off merchants and use red taxies when I dont want to drive.

I had the same with the taxis from CM airport (not the AOT taxis). For a long time it was 180 Baht to my Moo Bahn located just past the turn from Mahidol Rd., onto the Superhighway. Suddenly a new office manager and it jumped to 350Baht and any attempt to explain that a few days earlier and many times before it was 180Baht was met with severe rudeness and numerous times in Thai 'mai chua' (I don't believe you").

AOT taxis now have all my business (4 or 5 times a month) at 200Baht (still overpriced compared to Bkk and compared to many Asian cities) no games, counter staff and drivers always polite.

Edited by scorecard

That's high. The sad thing is also something else: prices like that drive more and more people to buy cars. Especally with current government promotions for new cars, I think we're not too far away from wondering why Chiang Mai got all congested. I think it's still fine now, but by actively promoting car ownership and also allowing taxis to price themselves out of the reasonable-people market, it really can only go one way.

Could it be because there's only one taxi co-op, and only current and former Red Bus drivers can become taxi drivers? (Not sure; pls. confirm)?

If meter taxis could be opened to the free market then a company could jump in offering fair meter pricing and knock the rest dead, or force them to get with the times.

I was talking to a Taxi driver the other night. he told me his Taxi company was owned by Police people and he pays them 700B a day for the car. He got the job because he had a 'public' driving licence that was also valid for 10 wheel trucks. He was also expected to be able to communicate in English with the customers.

He starts at 7am picking up tourists from hotels for rides out to Mae Rim and Doi Suthep. Sleeping in the car while his fares are doing their touristy stuff.

He seems able to make a reasonable living at present after the 700B a day is paid off and fuel costs. The company tells him he can work 24 hrs a day if he moves to a property that has a secure compound to keep the car safe from being stolen. Now the car is locked up at the Taxi office compound overnight.

If he was using the meter for pickups no way would he be able to pay the 700B rental and fuel

Purely on a baht per Km basis, traveling in Bangkok (in most modes of transport excepting tuk-tuks or motorcycle taxis) is much better value-for-money and without any negotiation hassle.

There are also the more comfortable air-conditioned buses that usually cost 14 to 16 THB, which are still less than Chiang Mai's songthaews for any distance.

No point in talking about mileage, you need to scale it down... ie, how much to get across Bkk vs how much to get across CM. We also have air-con buses, albeit limited, which go across any of their routes or 15 baht. Rarely had a hassle getting across town in songthaew/tuk-tuk - they're mostly decent enough chaps - though I would prefer to see less of them belching smoke on the roads in favour of your underground: stations at all gates, train/bus stations, Night Bazaar/LK, Nim, Zoo/Uni. Also be good to see that cable car up to Doi Seetoot (able to carry bikes) and the tunnel to MHS... perhaps Takki Shinegra will get them sorted when he rolls back into town. :whistling:

Edited by jackr

Could it be because there's only one taxi co-op, and only current and former Red Bus drivers can become taxi drivers? (Not sure; pls. confirm)?

If meter taxis could be opened to the free market then a company could jump in offering fair meter pricing and knock the rest dead, or force them to get with the times.

I was talking to a Taxi driver the other night. he told me his Taxi company was owned by Police people and he pays them 700B a day for the car. He got the job because he had a 'public' driving licence that was also valid for 10 wheel trucks. He was also expected to be able to communicate in English with the customers.

He starts at 7am picking up tourists from hotels for rides out to Mae Rim and Doi Suthep. Sleeping in the car while his fares are doing their touristy stuff.

He seems able to make a reasonable living at present after the 700B a day is paid off and fuel costs. The company tells him he can work 24 hrs a day if he moves to a property that has a secure compound to keep the car safe from being stolen. Now the car is locked up at the Taxi office compound overnight.

If he was using the meter for pickups no way would he be able to pay the 700B rental and fuel

I would think a BKK taxi makes (much 2-3x?) more than 700 baht/day pretty easily. Fuel is cheap as they're LPG, no?

Right now of course in CM he couldn't make it because taxis and tuktuks are so unreasonable that most people have motorbikes or cars or use the red buses or just walk. Maybe if they hadn't developed the market the way they did, this wouldn't be a problem - and they'd actually make more money. But of course, they wouldn't be able to just sit around most of the day.

But, given things are the way they are, I guess they'll just continue ...

I think someone should setup a Private Hire Taxi Company with radios fitted and a meter set at government taxi far rates,We should be able to pick up a phone and call a taxi from home or a restaurant etc like the rest of the world,Its 2011 ??? get rid of tuk tuks and make taxi drivers do a driving test on shortest way from A-B and ware a licensed government taxi badge with a ID number on it.+ A Taxi plate with number to the rear bumper.It would save life's if expat or tourist could call a cab.What a good business to setup and Falang/Thai Run.[/b][/size] test

This is not Phuket.

The price of a tuk tuk is negotiable. If you don't like the price you have been quoted, ask another driver, simple as that. You can also try negotiating.

One thing for sure is you will not get a ride for under 50 Baht. Thais don't complain, why do so many foreigners whine all over this forum over 10, 20, or 30 Baht? What is wrong with some of you people? This is not the Thailand it was 20 years ago. Have any of you whiners taken a look at what it costs to feed a family and send kids to school in Thailand these days? These people that operate tuk tuks and songtaews are barely getting by. I know a tuk tuk driver personally. He rents his tuk tuk. His rent is something like 15,000 per month. If he is one day late on the payment, thugs show up at his house warning him that he has 3 days to pay. On the 4th day his tuk tuk is confiscated if he has not paid. Come on whiners, get real.

This is not a scam.

Spot on. I have far more sympathy for the tuk tuk driver who has a tough life than a whinging foreigner who isn't being forced to do anything he doesn't want to do.

He could easily make much more if they were allowed to use the meters. Why would anyone choose to ride in a tuk-tuk if they could get a metered taxi with a/c to go a couple of k? Simple fact is that they are not allowed to offer this service as it would kill the tuk-tuk /red car market.

If over charging in TH law is ok then keep red cabs and tuk tuk ??? If a honest service was setup the old tuk tuk drivers/red cab Drivers could be trained and licensed and make more money than just sitting outside hotels etc.how many private houses are they in Chiang mai ??? many and the taxi driver in cm miss out on house calls.it could work on a plot system plot A Hang dong area -plot 2 sansai-plot plot 3 city center etc so when a taxi driver gets to his location he does not come back empty, he goes on the nearest plot driver waiting list,They would make much more money and not need over charge.this would be the busy taxi company in cm and a great service to the public and tourist.[/size]

He could easily make much more if they were allowed to use the meters. Why would anyone choose to ride in a tuk-tuk if they could get a metered taxi with a/c to go a couple of k? Simple fact is that they are not allowed to offer this service as it would kill the tuk-tuk /red car market.

This is not done for altruistic nor legal reasons. There is a lot of "power" behind the tuk-tuk's and red cars. This is the same reason that CM doesn't have a real local bus system. "THEY" will not allow it.

If over charging in TH law is ok then keep red cabs and tuk tuk ??? If a honest service was setup the old tuk tuk drivers/red cab Drivers could be trained and licensed and make more money than just sitting outside hotels etc.how many private houses are they in Chiang mai ??? many and the taxi driver in cm miss out on house calls.it could work on a plot system plot A Hang dong area -plot 2 sansai-plot plot 3 city center etc so when a taxi driver gets to his location he does not come back empty, he goes on the nearest plot driver waiting list,They would make much more money and not need over charge.this would be the busy taxi company in cm and a great service to the public and tourist.[/size]

Edited by CMSteve

Doesn't matter what country in the world, people will always whinge about Visa's, taxi drivers and other stuff.

Yes there are Tuk Tuk drivers that are scammers but there are many that are great sources of information and down right good people.

We are not happy unless we are bitching

If there is no meter or fixed fare on a Tuk Tuk and everything is negotiable, I'm not really sure how anything can be a scam or rip off?

In the night bazaar it's accepted that the item you buy for 100 baht will often start of at 300 baht - what's the difference?

I think the people who are obsessed about scamming Tuk Tuks, probably have no bargaining skills, which is definitely one of the prerequisite's to living here stress free..

That's cheaper than anything in Bangkok

In a non-air-conditioned Bangkok bus you can go from one end of the big city to the other end for just 6.5 to 8 THB (though, depending on the time of day, it may take some hours due to traffic!), which is less than the 20 THB usual fare of the Chiang Mai songthaews, which is not flat either as they may ask for more if they think your destination is far, in which case you may need to negotiate. In a Bangkok bus there is never any negotiation done at all by anyone - everyone just pays the standard rate and the fare collector never cheats.

True; but buses you cannot take from any random spot in town to any other random spot in town. You get the convenience of a taxi in this sense, without the price tag.

To go from from any random spot in town to any other random spot in town a Bangkok taxi cab can be taken instead, and they do not count per person and can fit 4 passengers, which can make a Chiang Mai Songthaew more expensive than a Bangkok taxi cab. In a Bangkok taxi cab with 4 passengers, an 80 THB fare (equivalent to 20 THB per passenger) would cover around 12 Km, based on the fare card that is shown inside the taxi cab:

TaxiMeterRate.jpg

I was charged the same price (80 THB) in Chiang Mai last year by a tuk-tuk that took a friend and I from Nawarat Bridge to Rattanakosin Hotel, which is a distance of around 1.5 Km.

Edited by hyperdimension

To go from from any random spot in town to any other random spot in town a Bangkok taxi cab can be taken instead, and they do not count per person and can fit 4 passengers, which can make a Chiang Mai Songthaew more expensive than a Bangkok taxi cab. In a Bangkok taxi cab with 4 passengers, an 80 THB fare (equivalent to 20 THB per passenger) would cover around 12 Km, based on the fare card that is shown inside the taxi cab:

Bangkok Taxi's are a bargain for such a big city.

How are they going to make more money by charging less.

What you are suggesting is no service to areas that are not right next door to popular areas.

If a honest service was setup the old tuk tuk drivers/red cab Drivers could be trained and licensed and make more money than just sitting outside hotels etc.how many private houses are they in Chiang mai ???

I REALLY want to be present at this training of old tuk tuk and songtheaw drivers. biggrin.gif

I live in Chiang Mai. I would suggest if any of these Bangkok taxi boosters was to call a Bangkok taxi they would find it very very expensive suggest they use a songtell.

they just think their Bangkok taxi will cost less.:sorry:not really :cheesy:

Mods this horse is dead.

I would bet that not a one of these whiners every walked into his boss's office and said I know you will pay me this much but I will take less. In most cases they went in and asked for more than they could really get.

And to top it off in many cases they wanted him to pay for their medical and help with retirement. Unions are a prime example of this kind of doing business. Not saying they are wrong just saying they are like some tuk tuk drivers.

As has been pointed out here often here are tuk tuk drivers who do not over charge and you do not have to barter with them.

In short they are whining about people doing the same thing they did.

• How frequent are they?

I've taken the one that goes between the flower/Warorot market and Lamphun a couple of times. I don't remember the price, but yes, it stops where you want it

to stop. Think it was going once an hour, perhaps between 08 and 17 or close to that. There is/was a timetable at the stop at Warorot.

It also stops for you if you want to get on it somewhere on it's route.

I live in Chiang Mai.

Do you think the "Project of Chiang Mai public transport improvement" should be scrapped, as public transport is already just fine in Chiang Mai and no further improvements to service and price need to be made?

As a matter4r of fact I do think it ought to be scrapped. If you are expecting to get a under priced ride in a tuk tuk because of them I would suggest you get a will and pass it on to your decedents aint going to happen in are life time.

What is needed is rapid transit ain't going to happen. Also would help if they widened all the roads allowing trafic to procede at a reasonable speed thereby allowing public transport more time to deliver there passengers and find another one. That out to take place in 50 or 60 years.

Can just see it all now they come out with a specific fare for a specific trip. should take ten years. Then they go about figuring out how to enforce it. In the mean time the cost of living has gone up and they have to refigure it.

Result laughable.

As I said this horse is dead.

People are not all that swift at times always looking over the fence at the greener grass then when they get there they look back over the fence at the greener grass.

Why don't people compare the price of a tuk tuk in Chiang Mai to the price of a taxi in down town L. A. Wait I forgot the grass is not greener there.