Thai Floods Reduce Beer Supplies To A Drip

george

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am clearly in the presence of some serious and knowledgeable imbibers of beer, so may I respectfully ask the following: I usually drink bottles of Leo and Singha (at home and in Pattaya bars). I have seen the brands Tiger and Chang but my Thai wife is quite (if not very) adamant that I do not try those two. My question: is there any valid reason to avoid Tiger and Chang? This is a serious question for my learning curve. Thanks to all who reply.

Not for nothing, but I was just at the Tops in Central Airport Plaza, Chiang Mai, and I grabbed the last of the beer there... four big bottles of Red Horse. The only stuff remaining is non-alcoholic beer and those mixed drink things.

They did a great job of not making it appear too obvious, filling the shelves normally full of beer with Pringles potato chips. So when you first walk into the aisle, your eye is greeted with row after row of tall vertical goods where the beer is supposed to be and the brain says "Yes!" but it only lasts a second or two until you realize the swindle.

Edited by smiling mantis

I am clearly in the presence of some serious and knowledgeable imbibers of beer, so may I respectfully ask the following: I usually drink bottles of Leo and Singha (at home and in Pattaya bars). I have seen the brands Tiger and Chang but my Thai wife is quite (if not very) adamant that I do not try those two. My question: is there any valid reason to avoid Tiger and Chang? This is a serious question for my learning curve. Thanks to all who reply.

If you can drink Leo, you shouldn't have any problem with Tiger and Chang.

Maybe she doesn't like the companies that produce them.

My local shop here at On Nut is currently stocked, but she said shortages may be coming. I bought 4 boxes which involved 4 trips to the shop on a motorbike. I intend to buy 4 more. Call me greedy, but I gotta have my beer!

well then....hope electric keeps working and not let anyone with beerbellys know were you live.

Well.....as far as I observed for nearly 10 years, drinkers of more than 5 big chang per day have an average survival rate of 5-6 Years. Then their kidneys and liver refuses service, unless they die by motorbike crash before. Leo seems more liverfriendly. Heineken is no beer, just looks alike. No reason to avoid tiger thou.

Edited by BinDhumm

Thank you for the courtesy of your reply. My wife only (and rarely) drink San Miguel Light. I will give Tiger and Chang a try and see if there are any after effects.

Well.....as far as I observed for nearly 10 years, drinkers of more than 5 big chang per day have an average survival rate of 5-6 Years. Then their kidneys and liver refuses service, unless they die by motorbike crash before. Leo seems more liverfriendly. Heineken is no beer, just looks alike. No reason to avoid tiger thou.

Are you kidding? I have been drinking Chang daily for about 8 years now with no health problems whatsoever.

Thank you for the courtesy of your reply. My wife only (and rarely) drink San Miguel Light. I will give Tiger and Chang a try and see if there are any after effects.

Have a smell in your toilet bowl in the morning after a chang night. Im sure you will notice the diference. Very

ineresting chemistry!

Thank you.

Are you kidding? I have been drinking Chang daily for about 8 years now with no health problems whatsoever.

well........very good constitution then or lower drinking level. Congratulations!

Perhaps your wife owns shares?:D

:blink:

Have a smell in your toilet bowl in the morning after a chang night. Im sure you will notice the diference. Very

ineresting chemistry!

:blink: who does that??

They are both quite strong, so perhaps that is what she is referring to.

I am rather partial to tiger myself and will drink it on occasion, Chang however is another matter. Chang is known for its legendary hangovers (changovers) that can put you out of action for a day or two, I no longer touch the stuff.

I am rather partial to tiger myself and will drink it on occasion, Chang however is another matter. Chang is known for its legendary hangovers (changovers) that can put you out of action for a day or two, I no longer touch the stuff.

strongly agree. Self tested.

Perhaps your wife owns shares?:D

Oh if it were true sir. She is from Isaan and 'all' she owns is my heart and our (her) house here in Pattaya.

All they had in the local shop today is Chang Export -- cut down from 6.7% to 5.0% and all the flavour taken out.

The blandest thing I've tasted since I had the misfortune to try a Coors when I was in the US. Equally poodle's p*ss, both of themangry.gif

Edited by RickBradford

Strange you should mention 'hangovers'. Since my retirement here in 2007 (I do not appear to learn with age) I have returned home on a handful of evenings and the following day have had no recollection of the previous evening let alone how I arrived at home with my wife. However, having felt somewhat 'rough' the following day I have never had a 'UK' type hangover.

Strange you should mention 'hangovers'. Since my retirement here in 2007 (I do not appear to learn with age) I have returned home on a handful of evenings and the following day have had no recollection of the previous evening let alone how I arrived at home with my wife. However, having felt somewhat 'rough' the following day I have never had a 'UK' type hangover.

Well.....2007. Still a few Years to go. Hangovers are very different in LOS than in Europe anyway and UK Beer is worse than Thaibeer.

I'm sure about the vaidity of this, but I vaguely remember hearing that at least one of these 2 beers (Chang I think) being the Thai equivaent of "Stella Artois".

Stella Artois is sometimes referred to as "wife beater" - if true, this might just be the reason!!! Why don't you ask her????

By the way, I drink Leo myself as it is a bit sweeter than "Bia Singh" and less gassy, which appeals as the lesser of 2 evils to a hardened CAMRA buff!!:jap:.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

I'm sure about the vaidity of this, but I vaguely remember hearing that at least one of these 2 beers (Chang I think) being the Thai equivaent of "Stella Artois".

Stella Artois is sometimes referred to as "wife beater" - if true, this might just be the reason!!! Why don't you ask her????

By the way, I drink Leo myself as it is a bit sweeter than "Bia Singh" and less gassy, which appeals as the lesser of 2 evils to a hardened CAMRA buff!!:jap:.

Spot on sir - why don't I ask her? I will.. With due respect I never thought of that one. I was not indifferent to Stella in the UK. As far as any beer is concerned, as someone posted, it does not cause me to become violent - only an excess causes me to become abusive. I really should practice what I say!! Hopefully my learning curve will now improve. Thanks for all replies and God Bless those in Thailand who are suffering from recent/current events.