Uk Visas; Tb Screening.

From Thursday 1 December 2005, all applicants in Thailand wishing to come to the United Kingdom for a period longer than six months will need to obtain a certificate confirming that they are free from infectious tuberculosis (TB) before submitting their visa application.

Full details can be found here.

Hopefuly, this means that the "medical lottery" on first arrival will end.

Under the present rules, anyone entering the UK for a period in excess of 6 months is liable to be sent by immigration to the medical centre for TB screening. Whether someone is sent appears to be at the whim of the individual IO. Also, anecdotal evidence suggests that this is far more likely to happen at Heathrow than at regional airports. Hence my use of the word "lottery."

Hopefully, as long term (more than 6 months) visa applicants are now required to be screened before applying, this screening at port of first entry will end. But I've not yet been able to find anything to confirm this.

:o

Hi Guy's, struggling on the logic of this one. I should imagine TB can be spread before 6 months so either every one is tested or don't bother.  :D 

Janner

The only logic the Government has is to save money. If you have TB and intend to make the UK your place of residence the treatment will be on the NHS. They don't want these people in, to save money. They can get in when treated. If you are in UK for less than 6 months they can class you as a non resident and you have to pay for treatment privately. Only 0.05% of people checked at airports have TB.

It about time they made things clear!

The embassy didn't mention anything to my wife regarding the X-ray required upon arrival in Heathrow. Which she was forced to have even though she has had the TB jab and has the scar on her arm.

Thanks to this we nearly missed our train (last one) only with a £80 taxi journey to Watford Junction did we manage to catch it. :o

The staff in the medical booth couldn't give a toss either they were completely dismissive when I'm asking them how long it would take and were more interested in talking amongst themselves. Giving me a 'how dare you interrupt us' stare when I quizzed them 'how long it would be as we have a train to catch'.

I know what you mean!

The first we knew about this requirement was on arrival at Heathrow. The IO sent us to a very crowded medical centre, where we had to wait for over 2 hours before seeing the doctor.

When we did eventually get to see her, she took one look at the vaccination scars on my wife and daughter's arms, asked if we had a permament address and then sent us on our way saying "Why are those idiots wasting my time sending people like you here!" :o

That's what is says, so I've no reason to doubt it.

However, I would suggest that getting this certificate is a good thing to do, as it will hopefully mean that you wont risk being sent to the medical centre when arriving in the UK.

However, I would suggest that getting this certificate is a good thing to do, as it will hopefully mean that you wont risk being sent to the medical centre when arriving in the UK.

I agree that it would be best to get a certificate whenever you apply. It is annoying to see that Thailand is again subject to the first stage implementation of the changed policy. There are countries, such as Vietnam and PI that have far higher rates of tb than Thailand. Yet as far as Immigration Reports go they are not on the first stage implementation strategy.

Whilst I am not saying tb certificates for everyone would not be a bad idea, this is just scratching the surface of the worldwide problem which primarily is affecting major immigration and tourism areas, such as London.

The new policy will however save in excess of 2 million quid a year and from my experience has likely been recommended by the Audit Office.

Except getting this certificate seems to be even more hassle then being sent to the medical center (if you get pulled for it) in the UK. Trip down to Sathorn to "register", then up to Bamrungrad/Phaya Thai to get checked out, then back to Sathorn to get your certificate (for 2000 baht).

Which is in summary a real f***in' nightmare, probably an all-day job. If the Thais came up with something like this we'd give them a real slating! Why can't you simply go to a private hospital accredited by them and get it all done there? Wonder if the Embassy will be making any "commissions" from this convoluted process?

Hi all,

Having read the item on the website (following the link on GU22's posting) I phoned the embassy in BKK to check it out as my g/f interview date is 14 December.

They confirmed that this policy applies only to new applications that are made on or after 1 December 2005.

Having read the other comments in this, I doubt that having the TB test done in BKK will make much difference when she arrives at Heathrow.

• 3 months later...

I smell sumthin fishy lol

my wife has just had her tb test proir to application the I O M said they are not sure if she has tb so off she went to the hosptial got sputem tests and was declared negative,she took the certificate back to the IOM and they said they dont accept it from the hosp and she will have to go to their own recommended tb centre, she went and had 3 more days of sputem tests which shockingly showed she doesnt have tb...... so this all adds up to money more money and then a little bit more money i was told if she got re-tested by the iom and they declred she did have tb then she couldnt re apply for her visa for at least six months thats why she decided to go the hospital first hope this helps you peeps tryin for a visa