Pastrami And Corned Beef In Pattaya...Wowww

Pongpat

Ate there last night with a friend and I can report that the pastrami was indeed terrific! I am an ex-New Yorker and I know my pastrami. This was quite authentic, delicious and plentiful. I didn't think the price extravagant for the quality and quantity.

That said, however, the place is a dive. No air con, no atmosphere (not a single decoration on the walls, brooms and mops laying about, smoke drifting into the restaurant from the smokers on the patio, no napkins (they gave us a roll of paper towels!). Unlike the meat, the potato salad was mediocre and miniscule, served in a plastic container. They said the bread was homemade and it was rather tasty, but it was too soft and could not not hold up to the meat, making for a very messy dining experience. When I mentioned this to one of the owners, his reply was something to the effect that it's what you get with a juicy sandwich. My friend asked for lettuce for his sandwich; none was available.

The service was fine and the owners quite friendly, but until they make for a more pleasant dining experience, I won't be going back. However, the pastrami was so good, I will order a sandwich to be delivered to my home where I will supply my own bread, proper napkins and decent, plentiful potato salad.

Please don't think I'm a snob, but I feel that if I'm going to pay 300 baht for a sandwich, I should enjoy the ambiance. Just a bit.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I am aware the place is still not finished, the only reason it is open is because people were turning up at the door and asking for Pizzas / sandwiches. What's more important are the great reviews the food is getting. Give them a couple of weeks and I'm sure it will have air con and decorations.

BTW....Not sure which sandwich your friend got, but I would have gotten thrown out of my local deli for asking for lettuce on ANY of their hot sandwiches LOL....remember the Soup Nazi from Friends???

Ate there last night with a friend and I can report that the pastrami was indeed terrific! I am an ex-New Yorker and I know my pastrami. This was quite authentic, delicious and plentiful. I didn't think the price extravagant for the quality and quantity.

That said, however, the place is a dive. No air con, no atmosphere (not a single decoration on the walls, brooms and mops laying about, smoke drifting into the restaurant from the smokers on the patio, no napkins (they gave us a roll of paper towels!). Unlike the meat, the potato salad was mediocre and miniscule, served in a plastic container. They said the bread was homemade and it was rather tasty, but it was too soft and could not not hold up to the meat, making for a very messy dining experience. When I mentioned this to one of the owners, his reply was something to the effect that it's what you get with a juicy sandwich. My friend asked for lettuce for his sandwich; none was available.

The service was fine and the owners quite friendly, but until they make for a more pleasant dining experience, I won't be going back. However, the pastrami was so good, I will order a sandwich to be delivered to my home where I will supply my own bread, proper napkins and decent, plentiful potato salad.

Please don't think I'm a snob, but I feel that if I'm going to pay 300 baht for a sandwich, I should enjoy the ambiance. Just a bit.

What do known about eating Pastrami? How can you have a friend asking for lettuce on a Pastrami sandwich.

What is this world coming too.

My friend asked for lettuce for his sandwich; none was available.

That is not done. My suggestion to the owners, don't EVER offer lettuce on deli sandwiches.

I agree there is a small issue with the bread. It is good fresh bread for what it is but it is not authentic deli style bread.

It doesn't ruin the experience, but you would have to knock of a few "authenticity" points for it.

Edited by Jingthing

One post has been removed from view. Please abide by our forum rules, specifically:

1) To respect fellow members.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

:jap:

Hey, if your pastrami sandwich tastes better (to you) with lettuce added... then, go ahead and add as much lettuce as you need. Doesn't bother (or matter to) me one bit. I don't eat lettuce or tomato on pastrami sandwiches (or use ketchup with steak!) but I defend the right of the individual to enjoy (and order!) whatever suits him. Go for it, Matey.

B)

PS- Strange food combos that some people actually love:

1. Mashed potatoes and noodles with gravy.
  2. Gravy and biscuits with grape jelly.
  3. Peanut butter and mayo sandwiches.
  4. Chocolate cake with pinto beans.
  5. Hollowed-out pickles filled with ranch dressing and cheese.
  6. Garlic bread topped with peanut butter and spaghetti.
  7. Peanut butter and cucumber sandwiches.
  8. Eggs with Spam and white rice.
  9. Doritos dipped in cream cheese.
  10. Sugar and grits.
  11. Popcorn and mustard.
  12. Pancakes and ketchup.
  13. Frito's and caramel sauce.
  14. Peanut butter and Cool Ranch Doritos sandwiches.
  15. Peanut butter and ham sandwiches.
  16. Uncooked pasta dipped in peanut butter.
  17. Chocolate chip cookies with cottage cheese.
  18. Pickles and peanut butter.

post-72929-0-44249500-1320977448_thumb.j

BTW....Not sure which sandwich your friend got, but I would have gotten thrown out of my local deli for asking for lettuce on ANY of their hot sandwiches LOL....remember the Soup Nazi from Friends???

Seinfeld.

Thanks for that! I totally knew it was Seinfeld but messed up.....obviously :)

Hey, if your pastrami sandwich tastes better (to you) with lettuce added... then, go ahead and add as much lettuce as you need. Doesn't bother (or matter to) me one bit. I don't eat lettuce or tomato on pastrami sandwiches (or use ketchup with steak!) but I defend the right of the individual to enjoy (and order!) whatever suits him. Go for it, Matey.

B)

PS- Strange food combos that some people actually love:

1. Mashed potatoes and noodles with gravy.
  2. Gravy and biscuits with grape jelly.
  3. Peanut butter and mayo sandwiches.
  4. Chocolate cake with pinto beans.
  5. Hollowed-out pickles filled with ranch dressing and cheese.
  6. Garlic bread topped with peanut butter and spaghetti.
  7. Peanut butter and cucumber sandwiches.
  8. Eggs with Spam and white rice.
  9. Doritos dipped in cream cheese.
  10. Sugar and grits.
  11. Popcorn and mustard.
  12. Pancakes and ketchup.
  13. Frito's and caramel sauce.
  14. Peanut butter and Cool Ranch Doritos sandwiches.
  15. Peanut butter and ham sandwiches.
  16. Uncooked pasta dipped in peanut butter.
  17. Chocolate chip cookies with cottage cheese.
  18. Pickles and peanut butter.

Thanks for this nice reply to make him feel better.....but that pic is of a COLD pastrami sandwich. Hot Pastrami, Corned Beef or Roast Beef would wilt and ruin tomato and or lettuce. Just sayin

People should keep in mind the actual location of this place is homely at best. It's about the FOOD.

Concur.

JT, you pointed this place out to me the other week, belated thanks.

Forget the paint job, I had the reubens, this isnt simply sandwich, its a meal.

This is what a real sandwich should look like, for those complaining about the price, compare with what you can easily pay 150+ plus for elsewhere, and end up with a sorry excuse for a sandwich.

Will defo be back, nice find there JT thanks for the tip.

People should keep in mind the actual location of this place is homely at best. It's about the FOOD.

Concur.

JT, you pointed this place out to me the other week, belated thanks.

Forget the paint job, I had the reubens, this isnt simply sandwich, its a meal.

This is what a real sandwich should look like, for those complaining about the price, compare with what you can easily pay 150+ plus for elsewhere, and end up with a sorry excuse for a sandwich.

Will defo be back, nice find there JT thanks for the tip.

FYI.....I was just back in there tonight for another Reuben, and they have actually made the bar look like.....A BAR, and they are finishing some basic abstract paintings of NY and Chicago skylines on the outside eating area. I would say these guys are here to stay :)

Sandwiches are great... I had a pizza last night with double cheese and double pepperoni - Very good!!! The prices are a bit higher than elsewhere, but the quality and quantity make it worth while.

They are going to have a Thanksgiving dinner with turkey and all the trimmings. They will have a 15:00 sitting and a 17:00 sitting. Need to make reservations. My wife and I have already signed up and it should be good.

I did a google search on the name and the reviews were OK but lots of comments about it being overpriced, is it?

When you got that desire for a decent pastrami and corned beef on rye, you pay the price, especially in Thailand.

Now to find a decent lox w/cream cheese, capers and purple onion on a bagel. hmmmm. :D

Wait..your friend asked for lettuce on his pastrami?? I am a new yorker as well and that would be a first sir

Get it sorted JT.
I'll buy that too the very moment someone locally is selling it. Sorted?

Sorted.

Dont forget to keep us updated, "the very moment someone locally is selling it."

You are our eyes and ears, our Man In Havana, you tread the sois so we dont have to, kapish?

BTW , thanks for pointing out the place in Jomtien.

I tried a Reuben yesterday afternoon, quite agreeable, although IMO more potato salad would be nice. The very entertaining owners kept things moving right along. No I didn't ask for lettuce. Enter Casa Jomtien (Casa Chom Thian) in your GPS. It's on the left just past the first guard shack as you enter Muban Casa Chom Tian Road, between Soi 8 and Soi 9, Jomtien Beach Road.

where do they sell the raw materials locally to make this sandwich yourself.....

I have never had commerial pastrami or corned beef in Thailand that tasted anything like the real thing. You would have to brew, age and smoke the meat yourself to get anything decent. :ermm:

where do they sell the raw materials locally to make this sandwich yourself.....

I have never had commerial pastrami or corned beef in Thailand that tasted anything like the real thing. You would have to brew, age and smoke the meat yourself to get anything decent. :ermm:

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but, if a meat product is cured (smoked) it doesn't require to be aged and as such aging would have no impact, on that basis it should be entirely possible to make high quality commercial pastrami locally, no?

If I understand correctly, the beef is pretty much pickled in brine and the longer it is in the solution, the better the quality of the patrami. After a week or two spices are added and then after that it is smoked.

It is not really aging the meat, but it takes a fair amount of time and work to do it right and a good cut of beef is expensive. There was a place selling it for well above 1,000 baht per kilo that was fairly good, but I'm not sure if they are still in business.

Edited by Ulysses G.

If I understand correctly, the beef is pretty much pickled in brine and the longer it is in the solution, the better the quality of the patrami. After a week or two spices are added and then after that it is smoked.

It is not really aging the meat, but it takes a fair amount of time and work to do it right and a good cut of beef is expensive. There was a place selling it for well above 1,000 baht per kilo that was fairly good, but I'm not sure if they are still in business.

I am still waiting to try to pastrami sandwich at Del-izza. If it is anything like the corned beef, it will be great! Has anyone tried the pastrami sandwich there? I saw that Del-izza now has a sign on the street, so you can now drive down beach road and see the sign by the 7-11.