Good Guest House Or Hotel Close To

majicjockey

When you mention night life....I am assuming that you are asking about the bars and discos.

Firstly, Chiang Mai's downtown is not that big, and one can get a song-taew all over the area for 20 baht if it is too far to walk. There are so many hotels/guesthouses in the area which are great for some and not suitable for others, so please be specific in what you need for 1000 baht. You could go on Agoda dot com and look at hotels, and then go to Trip Advisor and read about what people write about their experiences there.

1000 baht gives you lots of options. I'm a big fan of this place, it's new, run by a local young family and retains a traveller vibe. Super location inside the old town, but close to markets and stuff. www.gordchiangmai.com But there are several more places in the old town, most of them well below 1000.

However, if the nightlife you're after is the kind that involves brining ladies of the night to your room then you should look elsewhere. There are a couple places in Loi Kroh soi 5 that would fit the bill, though these are also under 1000 baht. But they do have aircon, proper bath tub, TV, etc.

1000 baht is really a lot in Chiang Mai, more hotel territory than guesthouse level.

As an additional note, you'll be hard pressed to do a "day trip to Nan" from Chiang Mai.

Riding a sportbike at a speed many would consider imprudent, I've made it to Nan by early/mid afternoon, after departing CM mid morning (10ish).

Taxi- almost double the travel time. Leave 8ish, get there 4ish.

No way to go to Nan, and return the same day. Unless you're flying a Gulfstream into Nan airport, that is.

As for taxi services- Google is your friend :)