I Ordered A Delay In The Release Of Water From Dam: Agriculture Minister Theera

webfact

Yeah Thad Mr "Know all" said Abhi is responsible even though he's seen the "ministers confession" after 5 emails I got some what bored read all his <deleted> so challenged him to carry on the argument on TV,so far no cigar :lol: :lol:

I suppose Abhisit is responsible for the Greek and Italian problems as well - not to mention all the world problems and problems of the Universe!!!!:jap:.

Sorry...but no! That would be Thaksin!

You are just trying to get me to agree with you - be honest!!!

As much as I hate him and what he stands for I cannot lay the blame at his feet on this so we still haven't encountered where we agree to agree on something DocN :jap: :D. Keep trying though as I'm sure it CAN happen some day.

Let Percy Verance be your guide!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The desperation of the spinners on this one is palpable like rancid butter.

1 ) The man admitted he gave the orders.

Mea culpa crash and burn... Own Goal on the world stage.

2 ) But clearly he was trying to please someone in the new government who discreetly made their 'wishes' known to him; 'save the rice crop right now' being a main candidate.

Whom was he trying to please? Just the implication without a 'direct order' quoted, is very solid tar and feather own goal.

3 ) He acted trying to save his position and the gravy train implied for his keeping it. But now he must worry if his potential testimony is worth the cash to silence him, or will he become Shipping Moo II? The numbers of national losses are so stratospheric, that 'Death By Mis-adventure' surely is not ruled out at certain tables of power...to ensure their survival.

4 ) The levels of water left when the Dems departed were manageable, and nothing approaching the Gargantuan Cluster FROC it has turned into. What was a manageable loss of a crop has become a national disaster of proportions never seen before, with world wide international repercussion for most people.

5 ) There MUST be a SERIOUS inquiry, or off-shore Investors will not be pleased, the families of the 530+ dead will not be pleased, and there will STILL be more than adequate information to keelhaul dozens of PTP and coalition partners over all this.

6 Not finding the reasons and dealing with it, will be communicated at lightning speed, and NOT FORGOTTEN by those MILLIONS of displaced people. And certainly many reds were in that number in Bangkok too, and of course all over upcountry. The Reds expect their lives to be reconstructed and THEN made better, by those they have backed. Not doing so would be a massive political cock up.

They will need more than the usual spin cycles to bury this 14, Billion Cubic Meter Gorilla sitting in the corner asking for bananas daily.

I have always been a fan of your,s Animatic since I joined TV and have found myself nodding my head in agreement with almost every post you write , this one in particular appeals to me for its non BS reasoning

Punishing him satisfies the desired for revenge for many. I reserve my comment for such reaction. You are entitled yours. Do you think the same problem will not happen in future just because he admitted his mistake and he tendered his resignation? What make we think the other minister to take his position can make the all the right decisions without miss over the next 50 years. This minister, probably the previous one too, had done two gross mistakes related to dams operations in less than 10 years that I can find. You may put better minister that makes one mistake over the next 15 years. But then that one mistake that counts. As what it happened now.

Let me point out the fundamental problem. EGAT in charge for power generation. It likes the dams water level going as higher as possible for higher yields. Agriculture Minister, in charge for agriculture activities. He also wants the dams level to be as high as possible for higher yields. Unfortunately, for a sake of flood control, the dams water levels have to be brought a lot down, No associated yield for doing so. Loss of opportunity due to lower yields in power generation and agriculture and the need to "waste" the water just like that could be TBH billions per annum. My point is that, who is in charge to champion for the so call flood control requirement? Which minister wants to champion this (unpopular) task? As far as I can see it from the recent floods event, it appeared to be nobody.

If nobody is assigned to do the right job you will not get the right result for the right job. This is what happened as I see, over at least the last few months. Thailand is not the only country that has this kind of problem. And it won't be the last.

I certainly wouldn't put YOU in this position, as I would imagine that the first question you would ask is "where is the plug situated and how many people does it take to pull it out"??? or maybe "how many standard sized kettles would all this water fill - assumes that each kettle is filled to the maximum level line (taking the lower meniscus as the point of reference)???

I think you owe it to me to explain what these "put together words mean" as I could read it a hundred times and not be none the wiser!!!:blink:.

Reading it once is enough though as if I read it again then maybe I will spend the rest of my life wondering what it all means - it could be my "quest for life" and I have more important things to consider than this as I only have one life (assumes there is no after-life):D!!!!

I don't think there has ever been a more knowledgable poster here on the subject of flood containment than the fellow you are responding to. I think you may owe him an apology. Just sayin'.

I've had second thoughts on my original posting - maybe he does fit the bill and should apply for the job if he's such an expert as you imply!!

Just replying.

Thank you. But I'm already have a job. Never give a thought to get another job. One of the my JDs is to capture floods using our dams, big or small. Then, turn them to money. We have never failed over the last 7 years in our mission to capture floods. Two of the floods we have faced were very big floods, but we have the edge.

Last week we were told that the big floods will be coming to us expected from this month until mid of January. We are well prepared. We have prepared for this event since the end of the last year's monsoon. Yes. We actually take a year to prepare for this special annual event. We have done this as a matter of routine since 20 years ago. Since the last 7 years I have put a few amendments to our SOP that includes flood control strategy to increase its effectiveness.

No. I'm not saying that we cannot be beaten by floods. We purposely allow the odd that 2% chance that the floods will beat us. Come the floods, we know that we can beat them or if we were to be beaten we know how to lose with least casualties.

2 ) But clearly he was trying to please someone in the new government who discreetly made their 'wishes' known to him; 'save the rice crop right now' being a main candidate.

Whom was he trying to please? Just the implication without a 'direct order' quoted, is very solid tar and feather own goal.

3 ) He acted trying to save his position and the gravy train implied for his keeping it. But now he must worry if his potential testimony is worth the cash to silence him, or will he become Shipping Moo II? The numbers of national losses are so stratospheric, that 'Death By Mis-adventure' surely is not ruled out at certain tables of power...to ensure their survival.

4 ) The levels of water left when the Dems departed were manageable, and nothing approaching the Gargantuan Cluster FROC it has turned into. What was a manageable loss of a crop has become a national disaster of proportions never seen before, with world wide international repercussion for most people.

5 ) There MUST be a SERIOUS inquiry, or off-shore Investors will not be pleased, the families of the 530+ dead will not be pleased, and there will STILL be more than adequate information to keelhaul dozens of PTP and coalition partners over all this.

6 Not finding the reasons and dealing with it, will be communicated at lightning speed, and NOT FORGOTTEN by those MILLIONS of displaced people. And certainly many reds were in that number in Bangkok too, and of course all over upcountry. The Reds expect their lives to be reconstructed and THEN made better, by those they have backed. Not doing so would be a massive political cock up.

They will need more than the usual spin cycles to bury this 14, Billion Cubic Meter Gorilla sitting in the corner asking for bananas daily.

I love the part with the gorilla!

post-9891-0-15748100-1320996658_thumb.jp :rolleyes:

Yeah Thad Mr "Know all" said Abhi is responsible even though he's seen the "ministers confession" after 5 emails I got some what bored read all his <deleted> so challenged him to carry on the argument on TV,so far no cigar :lol: :lol:

I suppose Abhisit is responsible for the Greek and Italian problems as well - not to mention all the world problems and problems of the Universe!!!!:jap:.

As much as I hate him and what he stands for I cannot lay the blame at his feet on this so we still haven't encountered where we agree to agree on something DocN :jap: :D. Keep trying though as I'm sure it CAN happen some day.

Dam_n it! laugh.gif

a NOTE: if you cannot quote without removing the persons post then DO NOT QUOTE. Please do not remove text from within the quote boxes. Post UNDER the end quote .

...Please do not remove text from within the quote boxes....

So, the use of elipses to comment on a specific component of a long quote is no longer valid?

Only if you can't fit all quotes in, but if you leave the quote box in your post please leave the quoted text inside the box,

I have always been a fan of your,s Animatic since I joined TV and have found myself nodding my head in agreement with almost every post you write , this one in particular appeals to me for its non BS reasoning

"Careful son"!! as my mother used to say to me, all that nodding will one day make your head fall off - I have walked around with a perfectly rigid neck ever since, paranoid that the slightest movement would detach my head from my body!!!!!:lol:.

Try winking instead as I've heard that it's the same as nodding but safer - unless you are looking at some enormous guy's gal at the time of doing it - this then becomes as dangerous as nodding with the major difference being that it doesn't simply fall off but is wrenched off!!!:jap:.

Sound advice, I think you'll agree - an understated YES will suffice!!!!

at last they found the scapegote for cooling down the pressure on PM. good move.

Who ordered him to admit he gave the order?

No way he did this out of conscience.

Exactly. IMO he is just the fall guy. He will quit soon, take sole responsibility and the YS govt is out of the woods.

at last they found the scapegote for cooling down the pressure on PM. good move.

Exactly. IMO he is just the fall guy. He will quit soon, take sole responsibility and the YS govt is out of the woods.

And his bank balance will magically increase significantly.

Dam_n it! laugh.gif

Noooooo!!!!!! Please don't do that - OK, to save the good people of Thailand - I agree with you, alright, and for Christ's sake drop this foolhardy idea as it has caused enough problems already???:jap:.

Ooooops...said the bad "d"- / and 4-letter word!

So sorry!

No offense!

+1 me too! :clap2:

You SERIOUSLY think that this is sufficient to brush it all under the carpet and it will soon all be forgotten!!!!!!!

I doooont think sooooooo!!!!!!! Just you wait and see when a post mortem analysis is carried out after the floods have receded.

It's curtains for Yingluck - and the whole shambles of a "mickey Mouse" government that is jokingly running Thailand at the moment.

One can only hope and pray for this as it has created so much misery and turmoil in the Kingdom (and that's barely after 3 months of mismanagement of monster proportions)!!!:jap:.

Its not "Incredible India" - its "Incredible Thailand"!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

a NOTE: if you cannot quote without removing the persons post then DO NOT QUOTE. Please do not remove text from within the quote boxes. Post UNDER the end quote .

...Please do not remove text from within the quote boxes....

So, the use of elipses to comment on a specific component of a long quote is no longer valid?

Only if you can't fit all quotes in, but if you leave the quote box in your post please leave the quoted text inside the box,

Ok.

Sometimes I leave it in the full quote,

but copy it again and highlight it OUT of the box ALSO, in quotes, to make the ONE point obvious.

Clearly the same quote as just above, but not dealing with all sorts of extraneous ideas.

"Careful son"!! as my mother used to say to me, all that nodding will one day make your head fall off - I have walked around with a perfectly rigid neck ever since, paranoid that the slightest movement would detach my head from my body!!!!!:lol:.

Try winking instead as I've heard that it's the same as nodding but safer - unless you are looking at some enormous guy's gal at the time of doing it - this then becomes as dangerous as nodding with the major difference being that it doesn't simply fall off but is wrenched off!!!:jap:.

LOL.

Inspecter Drefuss eye twitches are also in good form!

Yeah alway willing to read other's well meant advice ;) Edited by Colin Yai

LOL.

Inspecter Drefuss eye twitches are also in good form!

If the twitch is not too severe and obvious then this is probaby the best option to choose to display your appreciation or agreement on something!!

Just HOW has this string morphed into a discussion on "the safety of nodding and other means of facial expressions to show your agreement on someone's opinions and points of view"????:blink:.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Not that easy. No one was really blaming her for the floods.

She's still got to find a scape goat for the complete FROC up. I don't think she'll have much chance side stepping that one.

"The government should review its populist policies such as tax breaks for first car and home-buyers. People are now buying their first boats," Wittaya said.

Well said. I like this guy. :clap2:

http://www.watercar.com/

I think they should cancel that order for second-hand German subs and issue every family in Bangkok with one of these magnificent and importantly so, practical toys!!!!

Let Percy Verance be your guide!!

I'm sorry to say it, but if I was the coach I'd cut you off the team.

He seems to have his facts straight, but I particularly liked this "The desperation of the spinners on this one is palpable like rancid butter." Let no political misadventure come that is detrimental to art, would be my motto. If it gives way to citations of buffoonary, so much the better. It's a shame nearly 600 people* have died thusfar to give us this art / truth.

* I expect the true number is much much higher.

I don't know whether the Ag Minister here, who finally made this public admission, is really the responsible party here... I'd wager it's just as likely he's being thrown out as a scapegoat to protect other leaders in the government who were likely the moving parties here.

But what's more important about this article and post, it's that it's finally a public admission from the government that their own actions contributed to the extent of the current flooding crisis...and that this whole national tragedy wasn't just a "natural" disaster but also partially a man-made one.

Then add to that the government's thus far miserable response to coping with the floods, and you have a pretty big pile of .... laid by those currently in charge... But will the Thais who vote understand this and remember it... probably not.

The article doesn't say when the decision was made so it needs to be born in mind that he was also the Minister for Agriculture in the previous administration so was apparently seen by the Abhisit as the right man for the job as well - he certainly has all the right qualifications for it.

I wasn't distinguishing in my comments regarding the handling of the dam water releases between the Abhisit vs. the Yingluck governments. I just pointed out that those decisions were made by the Thai government, at whatever points in time we don't exactly know, and thus the government bears a hand of responsibility for causing the flooding in the way it played out. The whole debacle is/was not just a "natural" disaster.

However, some of the elected politicians who seem to be regarded by the Thai media as likely responsible parties for the handling of the dams issue were part of the Abhisit coalition and then later became part of the Yingluck coalition. So whether their supposed actions occurred during the earlier or later regimes, I don't know, so I didn't say. And whether the Thai media is correct in that speculation about who was involved, I also don't know.

As I mentioned earlier, I seriously doubt that the Ag Minister was really the person responsible for directing or deciding how the dam water retention/release was handled. It may be his name on whatever bureaucratic decisions were made. But I'd bet a fair sum that others were making those decisions and directing the outcome, most likely out of economic self-interest and/or political considerations.

The handling of the response to the floods and relief efforts, however, is an entirely different matter. That miserable mess-up is clearly and absolutely under the responsibility of the Yingluck and PT folks. They can't wash off that stench, no matter how hard they try.

I don't know whether the Ag Minister here, who finally made this public admission, is really the responsible party here... I'd wager it's just as likely he's being thrown out as a scapegoat to protect other leaders in the government who were likely the moving parties here.

But what's more important about this article and post, it's that it's finally a public admission from the government that their own actions contributed to the extent of the current flooding crisis...and that this whole national tragedy wasn't just a "natural" disaster but also partially a man-made one.

Then add to that the government's thus far miserable response to coping with the floods, and you have a pretty big pile of .... laid by those currently in charge... But will the Thais who vote understand this and remember it... probably not.

The article doesn't say when the decision was made so it needs to be born in mind that he was also the Minister for Agriculture in the previous administration so was apparently seen by the Abhisit as the right man for the job as well - he certainly has all the right qualifications for it.

I wasn't distinguishing in my comments regarding the handling of the dam water releases between the Abhisit vs. the Yingluck governments. I just pointed out that those decisions were made by the Thai government, at whatever points in time we don't exactly know, and thus the government bears a hand of responsibility for causing the flooding in the way it played out. The whole debacle is/was not just a "natural" disaster.

However, some of the elected politicians who seem to be regarded by the Thai media as likely responsible parties for the handling of the dams issue were part of the Abhisit coalition and then later became part of the Yingluck coalition. So whether their supposed actions occurred during the earlier or later regimes, I don't know, so I didn't say. And whether the Thai media is correct in that speculation about who was involved, I also don't know.

As I mentioned earlier, I seriously doubt that the Ag Minister was really the person responsible for directing or deciding how the dam water retention/release was handled. It may be his name on whatever bureaucratic decisions were made. But I'd bet a fair sum that others were making those decisions and directing the outcome, most likely out of economic self-interest and/or political considerations.

The handling of the response to the floods and relief efforts, however, is an entirely different matter. That miserable mess-up is clearly and absolutely under the responsibility of the Yingluck and PT folks. They can't wash off that stench, no matter how hard they try.

Well their coalition hopping would prove they belonged to neither side, except for convenience of the moment, and can not morally be assigned to either, except where the leadership failed to exert sufficient control when appraised of their shenanigans.

This was something Abhisit tended to do, often at risk of the coalition, but he got in their faces anyway. If he didn't know they were doing something, he couldn't act on it. I doubt keeping an eye on someone with initial B during the campaign was easy to do.

All in all the shape-shifting snakes pick which ever meal is currently to their liking and can not be attributed more than this for altruism or moral stature. Their success is gauged on the balance sheets... that they show no one.

Coalition governments are by necessity not noted for their moral high grounds.

As to the agri minister being a hold over.

He would no doubt think Damocles Sword hung over his head for EVERY action or non action he took. So the subtlest hints from the powers that be of the day would be enough for him to act and hope this keeps him his position.

We saw the same paranoia and inaction in the Immigration Ministry Staffs around the time of the election. Not daring to move lest that move send them to purgatory at the whim of the new bosses. Caused endless visa cock-ups for months before and after. Waiting to see if policy changes or their desk assignment.

For the upper level ministry staffs:

Here's the new boss, same as the old boss.... or not???

Do nothing till they let us know which way to bob, weave, wei, jump and shuffle.

Edited by animatic

I commented a long time ago, that some of the rice fields that would have been affected belonged to a certain Mr Thaksin, as I heard it from some Thai friends, seems pressure was put on this Minister to wait so Mr. Thaksin and his friends could get their crops harvested.

Correct Beano2274. That's why the water wasn't diverted to Suphanburi. Amazing what people will do to keep their Saudi friends happy even though they can't own the land???

So in this forum we have a huge amount of sound and fury concerning the release of water from the Bhumibol dam.

But-- the dam's capacity is 13.5 million cubic meters, and the water inundating Bangkok is estimated at 14 billion cubic meters.

How much do we really think that the timing of releases from this dam matters in terms of Bangkok's flooding?

We also hear many calls for even more dams. The dams are ineffective against flooding, as has been demonstrated here. Do we think that more dams will help matters?

So in this forum we have a huge amount of sound and fury concerning the release of water from the Bhumibol dam.

But-- the dam's capacity is 13.5 million cubic meters, and the water inundating Bangkok is estimated at 14 billion cubic meters.

How much do we really think that the timing of releases from this dam matters in terms of Bangkok's flooding?

We also hear many calls for even more dams. The dams are ineffective against flooding, as has been demonstrated here. Do we think that more dams will help matters?

Bhumibol dam capacity is 13,462,000,000 m3, or 13 and a half Billion cubic meters.

The flood water is estimated at 14 billion liters.

Managed properly (ie not for the sole benefit of one family and friends rice crop at hugely inflated subsidised prices) this dam, with others, would have been effective in preventing any flooding. But alas, the country is being run for the benefit of the Thaksin amart. In fact as this flood was well under way, the only thing the govt was doing was furiously planning and preparing for his excellency's triumphant return.