Yingluck Must Stand Up And Face The Music: Thai Opinion

webfact

Thanks for standing behind your PM at a difficult time - NOT!

You actually think anyone else could handle this flood better? NOT, again!

Btw, where is the Abhisit flood plan? None.....

Disgraceful political attacks of incredibly bad timing. No wonder Thai society is in the ditch.

+100 :wai:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes no sense to let Abhisit, or an previous PMs, off the hook and to lay any blame solely on the current one.

Again, I ask: where are the flood plans of any of the previous PMs?

It is the duty of government to plan for such natural events.

One simply can't plan for or respond to such a situation when it is happening. It needs, well.....a plan.

I agree ... previous PM Thaksin deserves the most blame. Look how many years he was PM (and did nothing about planning for floods) in comparison to Abhisit.

But he's not only to blame for his PM-ship, he's to blame for this current PM and do nothing cabinet also.

I have no vendetta against Abhisit. I'm simply pointing out that his administration did not provide any flood management plans or implement any infrastructure changes related to flood control during his time in office. Even with that, so many people are criticizing the current PM for her handling of the flood even though she's only been in office a few months.

Why are so many willing to forgive and forget Abihist's over-sight but not for the current PM? Well, because it's happening now, and she's the PM, is the answer some will say.

They miss the point that for events/floods this large, it takes years of planning and preparation to manage the deluge...not a few months. It seems that some people are completely blinded by their hatred of YL (and K. Thaksin) as to be completely irrational in the current situation.

It makes no sense to let Abhisit, or an previous PMs, off the hook and to lay any blame solely on the current one.

Again, I ask: where are the flood plans of any of the previous PMs?

It is the duty of government to plan for such natural events.

One simply can't plan for or respond to such a situation when it is happening. It needs, well.....a plan.

You seem to have a major vendetta against Abhisit. Take a look at a very recent Bangkok Post breaking news headline as to what leading members in Phua Thai think of Abhisit's recent conduct.

Yeah, it might be a bit of a PR stunt to make PT look a bit more reasonable given this latest huge debacle, but I don't think they would hand out such praise undeservedly.

You are Thai, right? I think this because Westerners who have lived in democratic societies would never suggest this. By contrast, Thais, who have never known real democracy, still think military coups are a legitimate political alternative. Pity.

It is about time that the Army kick her out and put AV back in charge.

I have no vendetta against Abhisit. I'm simply pointing out that his administration did not provide any flood management plans or implement any infrastructure changes related to flood control during his time in office. Even with that, so many people are criticizing the current PM for her handling of the flood even though she's only been in office a few months.

Why are so many willing to forgive and forget Abihist's over-sight but not for the current PM? Well, because it's happening now, and she's the PM, is the answer some will say.

They miss the point that for events/floods this large, it takes years of planning and preparation to manage the deluge...not a few months. It seems that some people are completely blinded by their hatred of YL (and K. Thaksin) as to be completely irrational in the current situation.

You would think that a party that had just won an election would know how to communicate and organise groups of people. PT have completely failed with these things during the flooding. That's what most people are complaining about.

Well, again, I make the case that there was no prior planning. Planning for a event this size would necessary include a communications plan. Without any plan, the communication suffers, as well. Recall, if you are American or followed the issue, on Sept. 11, 2001, all sorts of communciation problems occurred. Why, because the 'system' had never experienced that type of event before so there was no response plan, including communication, so there were all manner of problems that day and the days following.

It's similar here. They say this is the biggest flood in over 50 years. 50 years ago was a different world; the communications system here has never been stressed like this. To some, the problems are so obvious, but that's an easy blame to make.

I dare say, in the US, there was certainly nothing near the level of shameless political sniping at GWB then as there is now with YL. Which is one more unaccounted for issue, the deliberate undermining of the PM by other political actors, including the Army. The amount of this may never be known. I mean, there are people, important people, who actually want her to fail. That's a truly repugnant state of Thai politics.

Cut the girl some slack, she's in a tough spot right now. But, it's not just her, it's the whole country. Some people act like it's all hers to solve. Pitiful.

You would think that a party that had just won an election would know how to communicate and organise groups of people. PT have completely failed with these things during the flooding. That's what most people are complaining about.

Edited by Jawnie

Well, again, I make the case that there was no prior planning. Planning for a event this size would necessary include a communications plan. Without any plan, the communication suffers, as well. Recall, if you are American or followed the issue, on Sept. 11, 2001, all sorts of communciation problems occurred. Why, because the 'system' had never experienced that type of event before so there was no response plan, including communication, so there were all manner of problems that day and the days following.

It's similar here. They say this is the biggest flood in over 50 years. 50 years ago was a different world; the communications system here has never been stressed like this. To some, the problems are so obvious, but that's an easy blame to make.

I dare say, in the US, there was certainly nothing near the level of shameless political sniping at GWB then as there is now with YL. Which is one more unaccounted for issue, the deliberate undermining of the PM by other political actors, including the Army. The amount of this may never be known. I mean, there are people, important people, who actually want her to fail. That's a truly repugnant state of Thai politics.

Cut the girl some slack, she's in a tough spot right now. But, it's not just her, it's the whole country. Some people act like it's all hers to solve. Pitiful.

you're missing the most important factor that triggered this disaster. - the mismanagement and political interference in dam control and that was most probably on purpose. Otherwise it wouldn't have happened. There would be some flooding in some areas due to more rain this year, but not as severe as organized by some in THIS govt.

You're comparing a surprise situation that had never happened before, to a situation where they had a months notice AND happens every year.

Yes, the flooding usually on a smaller scale but it's not like they need to do anything different than most years - communicate with people about where the flooding is and what's happening, and provide relief.

And you can't just say "she's only been in power a couple of months and never dealt with it before". She has many ministers that have been through it before. She has access to opposition MPs that have dealt with it before. She also has access to experts who have dealt with it before.

SHE is the one that should made sure the right people were in place to do the job.

Ting Tong Thanong takes the Piss, and Pisses against the wall.

Mistress Lulu, requests that he consider his position.

The alleged hack journalist, Ting Tong Thanong believes, that, by pissing in the flood waters. He can raise the water, to a level, that would embarrass the government.

A man of delusion, a hack journalist who likes a drink. Forget get this fool.

Ting Tong Thanong has quickly found out that his honeymoon period as the country's first hack editor is over.

One of the barometers of Ting Tong Thanong's popularity is the coverage of the mass daily Thai Rath.

Over the past few days, Thai Rath has stepped up its fierce attacks against the hack journalist over his mis-reporting of Thailand's worst flood crisis in half a century. In one of the first columns critical of the Rag The Nation, Thai Rath called for Ting Tong Thanong to "throw up in the water" because he could not manage the sick situation. He makes many people feel sick with the bile he writes. It followed up a few days later by criticising him for having no repentance in spite of many blunders. The article told Ting Tong Thanong to follow in the footstep of the Japanese Harakiri, take lessons by accepting responsibility and resigning. Pissing it up against the wall will not help the situation.

Thai Rath generally has a cordial relationship with the Rag The Nation. But it has a quick arse. The paper has maintained its position as the country's largest daily in terms of circulation because it has a good system to measure public opinion. It knows the crap The Nation hacks write. It knows the talk of the town, good katoeys, what its readers like or do not like, and generally where to get pissed or pissed off. As the floods continue to create massive suffering, it does not seem that Ting Tong Thanong is in charge of the hack situation. Much worse, the Ting Tong Thanong has been telling half-truths all along about the actual threat and degree of the floods. Economy with the truth is Ting Tong Thanong’s style. Thai Rath's readers are getting angry by the day at Ting Tong Thanong's mishandling of the news. Thai Rath, understanding the mood of its readers, has emerged as the first newspaper to dump on the weedy little yellow hack. The social media are also holding Ting Thong Thanong up to ridicule over the weakness of his alleged writing.

Sensing this change in the media tide, the Ting Tong Thanong on Tuesday appointed Dr Icannot Spell and Dr Wotis Grammar to form two committees entrusted with rehabilitating the recovery and managing news resources to prevent future public vomit. Dr Icannot, the former pimp, will help divert attention away from Ting Tong Thanong, who appears to be running the news desk from a brothel rather than his own hack quality and experience.

The committee appointment was followed by the announcement of beer deficit spending of Bt400 billion, Bt120 billion for bladder relief and rehabilitation, and a go-ahead to implement populist policies such as first-sex and first-drink programmes. Dr Icannot is designated as the Ting Tong Thanong's PR person to talk to foreign sex tourists so they will continue to keep their dicks and wallets in Thailand. The first person Icannot plans to talk to is the Japanese yakuza to Thailand. He will also travel to Japan to assure Japanese mafia about Thailand's investment programme and future temperance prevention measures.

All of these political moves are designed to keep Ting Tong Thanong alive – from the shoulders up at least. They border on insensitivity to the suffering Thai readership. Ting Tong T should pay more attention to the plight of prostitutes, salary earners and owners of small- and medium-sized brothels affected by the lack of customers. At the same time, Ting Tong Thanong should vigorously focus on defending Suvarnabhumi Airport and inner Bangkok from idiots in yellow shirts. If Suvarnabhumi and inner Bangkok are overwhelmed by the yellow punks again, that would signal the end of Thailand.

On the contrary, Thais have the impression that Ting Thong is quick to please foreign punters, whose businesses are fully insured, while ignoring the plight of common people like Ting Tong Thanong, who are owners of a dreadful rag newspaper.

Most importantly, the Thai public is entitled to know what has gone wrong with the management of news and why truth is a forbidden word. Mismanagement on this unprecedented scale has to be fully investigated. As should certain women on Soi Cowboy. The findings - of the truth and nothing but the truth - have to be made public so that the culprits, having acted either intentionally or unintentionally, are punished, so that this grave mistake does not happen again. Ting Tong T said he had trouble with ‘truth’ and thought it undemocratic.

Apart from investigations into the mismanagement of beer stored in his house, the see-saw battle over a queue for the toilet , TING Tong T must also probe the widespread encroachment on to pubic areas, which blocks waterways. The beer crisis has been aggravated by violations of zoning and building codes by the developers of industrial estates, golf courses, housing estates and other projects. All of these violations of the zoning law and city planning have to be dealt with decisively so that we don't face the same crisis again. It’s all the fault of the Democraps.

Ting Tong T can't just throw money after the problems. Look at the problems first. Tell the public what has gone wrong. Express sympathy for his financial plight.

Since Ting Tong Thanong's honeymoon period over, he now has to make sure that he is doing the right thing every step of the way. Dramatic beers and lies won't help. Still, he can expect worse to come after the has receded – even though he keeps pissing up the wall .From class-action lawsuits for compensation, to street demonstrations for Ting Tong T’s resignation to accept responsibility for the mishandling of the news room that has destroyed the Thai economy and the people's way of life.

Ting Tong Thanong is 94

Most people? You mean most western expats on this website.

You're comparing a surprise situation that had never happened before, to a situation where they had a months notice AND happAens every year.

Yes, the flooding usually on a smaller scale but it's not like they need to do anything different than most years - communicate with people about where the flooding is and what's happening, and provide relief.

And you can't just say "she's only been in power a couple of months and never dealt with it before". She has many ministers that have been through it before. She has access to opposition MPs that have dealt with it before. She also has access to experts who have dealt with it before.

SHE is the one that should made sure the right people were in place to do the job.

AND happens every year......????

Rainfall in 2011 has been about 42 percent above average for January to September.

This is exceptional, occuring only in 1942, 1953, and 1970.

So as usual your statement is fallacious!

Edited by dmcguire70

You're comparing a surprise situation that had never happened before, to a situation where they had a months notice AND happAens every year.

2011, has been about 42 percent above average for January to September.

Yes. Flooding happens every year in Thailand. That's not fallacious at all.

Did you stop reading after that?

2011, has been about 42 percent above average for January to September.

Yes. Flooding happens every year in Thailand. That's not fallacious at all.

Did you stop reading after that?

No,

Your statement

"Yes, the flooding usually on a smaller scale but it's not like they need to do anything different than most years - communicate with people about where the flooding is and what's happening, and provide relief".

it's not like they need to do anything different than most years??

What have you been smoking?

There hasn't been anything even remotely close to this years rainfall for about 40 years. Surely you must accept that nature is a powerful force and sometimes cannot be tamed, IE Brisbane floods ,Hurricane Katrina etc etc.

and using this as a ammunition for you partisan political leanings is quit frankly ridiculous!

Rainfall graph below,

http://asiapacific.a...rom-average.jpg

Edited by dmcguire70

It is about time that the Army kick her out and put AV back in charge.

It is about time that the Thais kicked out foreigners that advocate illegal acts such as military coups.

Simple question, is it not an illegal act to buy votes too? your answer would be appreciated :)

It is an illegal act to attempt to coerce votes. What's your point? If foreigners were advocating that activity, it would be covered by my initial comment and they should be deported from Thailand.

Happy now?