Paragliding / Paramotor Club - Ubon.

SuperGers

I've seen a guy using a Paramotor ( Paraglider with motor and propellor strapped to his back ) several times. He appears to be flying it near Ubon airport !! - but i assume he has permission.Anyone else see this or know if there's a club in Ubon ?Cheers

I do not know for this Guy in Ubon, but yes there are few thais flying paramotors in Issan.

1 In Nakhon Phanom,in a small garage ,located in front of Nakhon Phanom university headquarter, you can find two enthusiasts making their own stuff. They told us that they export their handmade propellers.

they are flying their paramotors in the region.

2- In Na Wha (nearby Sakhorn Nakhorn), in the middle of nothing, you have a very nice airfield, runway 400 meters long 8 meters wide, beautiful in the middle of woods, peaceful area. The owner nicknamed "Tiger" has now migrate nearby Pattaya. 3 years ago it was the intention of Tiger to develop the VLA and paramotor activities from his airfield. I will look on google to give you the location of this airfield. I do not have Tiger contact but you should get it easily through the Thai Flying Club.

Edited by Jerrytheyoung

Picture of the airfield,

(We were looking as an alternate for training but runway is too small for General Aviation, however the place is so peaceful and relaxing that VLA people should not miss it)

Many thanks Jerry for your reply.

I just looked these sites up on Google Earth but both are over 400km from me and just a bit too far for convenient travel.

Enjoy your flying !!

Cheers, SG :jap:

I've seen the pick up with the paramotor too, and here's a pic taken 3rd of September near Ubon prison but don't know if the glider had an engine..... :unsure:

Edited by bergen

One of the guys who flies one, I think woks at Ubon Airport. I go to the airport daily and see his pickup at the main office on the left just before you enter the terminal drop off area. Maybe you could pop in there and make the enquiry.

I believe most of the guys who do this in Ubon are associated with military. I have seen both at Wing 21 Air Base and around the Border Patrol Police Base. There are threads at guideubon.com forum regarding paragliding but all in Thai.

Many thanks Guys, i'll ask at the gates of Wing 21 Base next time i pass.

Cheers SG

I believe most of the guys who do this in Ubon are associated with military. I have seen both at Wing 21 Air Base and around the Border Patrol Police Base. There are threads at guideubon.com forum regarding paragliding but all in Thai.

Many thanks Guys, i'll ask at the gates of Wing 21 Base next time i pass.

Cheers SG

Looks like it is popular all over Thailand. Here is a YouTube from one of the Chiang Mai flying sites.

I have seen a few flying , out of Nang Rong. 4 of them spent a half day ,flying over Ban Kruat ,just recently. They often seem to fly close to the border ,fly for maybe 3 to 4 hours. One of the "pilots " is a very successful "Legal Eagle"

Edited by afarang

The last time they had air balloons in some kind of a function based at Thung Sri Muang there were some paramotors involved. Maybe they have some contact info.

And in Sawang Daen Din there is also a Airport that does Ultra lights, Sky Diving etc

• 1 month later...

There's also a guy in Sisaket, nothing to do with the Army, near the Sun Heng Plaza. You can see his homemade glider at his motorcycle repair shop. His nick name's "Matthew", he'll tell you everything you need to know. jap.gif

Edited by sirchai

• 4 weeks later...

The last time they had air balloons in some kind of a function based at Thung Sri Muang there were some paramotors involved. Maybe they have some contact info.

Sounds like the air show they do every year. Here is a link to the one that happened just last week. Has a few photos as well.

http://www.guideubon.com/web/viewtopic.php?t=36590

For anyone interested :-

Turns out the guy who paramotors over the airport is called "Den" and he's one of the Air Traffic Controllers there. I met him by coincidence last week.

Very nice guy and speaks excellent English. He's an instructor at a club where members fly on Saturdays at various locations around Ubon. They also meet on Sundays to train new members at Warin, where Den is one of the instructors, .

For club insurance purposes anyone interested needs to be a "resident in Thailand, not a tourist " ? His words not mine.

New members need to pay THB 5000 which covers training and the use of the club equipment up until you're competent to fly alone. After this you can continue to hire the clubs gear or if you prefer buy your own gear. wai.gif

• Like 1

Turns out the guy who paramotors over the airport is called "Den" and he's one of the Air Traffic Controllers there. I met him by coincidence last week.

Very nice guy and speaks excellent English. He's an instructor at a club where members fly on Saturdays at various locations around Ubon. They also meet on Sundays to train new members at Warin, where Den is one of the instructors, .

For club insurance purposes anyone interested needs to be a "resident in Thailand, not a tourist " ? His words not mine.

New members need to pay THB 5000 which covers training and the use of the club equipment up until you're competent to fly alone. After this you can continue to hire the clubs gear or if you prefer buy your own gear. wai.gif

Seems like a spare time option for some suicidal fun............crazy.gif

Yes Bergen, this is the quick suicide option.

The slow option is to run around the Sun baked countryside of Ubon until you're exhausted then drink yourself into oblivion once a month ! clap2.gif

Wait a minute sounds like fun ! - when's the next HHH meeting again ? licklips.gif

Yes Bergen, this is the quick suicide option.

The slow option is to run around the Sun baked countryside of Ubon until you're exhausted then drink yourself into oblivion once a month ! clap2.gif

Wait a minute sounds like fun ! - when's the next HHH meeting again ? licklips.gif

Ubon Hash House Harriers next run will be on Saturday 4th of February.

Details to be posted soooon! partytime2.gif