Phuket Prosecutor may appeal Fanelli sentence

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-11423ZMAFVYYXPPqHMjNTJHLgPYZSmb.jpg

Former US Marine Ronald Fanelli was sentenced to 10 years in prison

for murdering Wanphen Pienjai (inset) and stuffing her body into

a suitcase.

phuket-4-11423OlAoIsZricAogixMglxHcTyTLX.jpg

Wanphen Pienjai

PHUKET: -- The Phuket Attorney General’s Office is considering filing an appeal over the sentence of 10 years and three months imprisonment handed down to former US Marine Ronald Fanelli for the stabbing murder of bar hostess Wanphen Pienjai last year.

Fanelli was formally handed down a sentence of 20 years imprisonment for murder and another six months in jail for hiding the body, Phuket Provincial Deputy Chief Public Prosecutor Permgiart Bumrung, the lead prosecutor in the case, told the Phuket Gazette.

“The sentence was halved to 10 years and three months because he confessed,” he explained.

During the trial, the court heard that Fanelli confessed to killing Miss Pienjai by stabbing her, but said it was an “accident”.

Police presented evidence to show that Fanelli disposed of Miss Pienjai’s body by stuffing it into a large suitcase – posthumously breaking both of her legs so he could fold them into the luggage.

“He kept the body in the room for two days before disposing of it,” said Mr Permgiart.

Fanelli carried the suitcase by motorbike to a remote part of Wichit. He dumped the suitcase several kilometers from his rented home, where he was later arrested, the court heard.

Prosecutor Permgiart said Fanelli has until December 1 to appeal the verdict. “We are also considering filing an appeal over the reduced sentence because 10 years is not a long sentence for a case like this,” Mr Permgiat said.

The private lawyer who defended Fanelli in the case, who asked not to be named, on Monday said, “I have yet to discuss [an appeal] with my client. I am also waiting for US embassy officials to discuss what they would do like to do further with the case…

“As for whether or not we will file an appeal, that all depends on my client,” she added.

Prosecutor Permgiat explained that the US embassy had filed a letter to the court through the defense lawyer. “The US embassy explained in the letter that Fanelli is a former Marine who served in Afghanistan for several years. He killed many people during his tour of duty, and this could well have affected his behavior,” he said.

Phuket Provincial Prison Director Rapin Nichanon revealed that the reduced sentence will be further reduced by the 471 days that Fanelli has served in detention.

“As Phuket Prison accommodates prisoners serving sentences up to 15 years, he can stay here if chooses to,” Chief Rapin said.

“However, he has the right to contact his embassy and ask to be transferred to another prison, such as Klong Prem Prison in Bangkok, which would be more convenient for him if he wants to stay in regular contact with embassy officials,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article11423.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-11-12

"Prosecutor Permgiart said Fanelli has until December 1 to appeal the verdict. “We are also considering filing an appeal over the reduced sentence because 10 years is not a long sentence for a case like this,” Mr Permgiat said."

Roger that .... 10 years is not long enough.

The U.S. Embassy pleads his case given his duty in Afghanistan might have altered his behaviour as he killed so many people.

Is the U.S. Government now saying that every staff member that has killed in the name of war is now a potential murderer? If so, they should be warning the general public.

This is one instance when the Embassy should butt out. Ludicrous defense and offensive that they try to plead the case for a man who confessed to an awful crime.

I hope he gets the 20 years and finds a nice boyfriend in jail.

Only pre-meditated murder gets the death sentence.

How many years did that Thai cop get for killing that Canadian bloke and then cold-bloodedly shooting his girlfriend to get rid of the witness?

Oh yeah.......he never went to jail.

How about the son of a very prominent politician whos son shot a man dead in a night-club in front of two hundred witnesses? Oh yeah.......he never went to jail.

What about the son of an important businessman and his wife (ex-Miss Thailand 1996) who deliberately drove his car into a bus queue killing one innocent woman? Oh yeah.......he never went to jail.

Edited by KarenBravo

It is a SCANDAL this statement if the US Embassy! So it is an EXCUSE to be a murderer, because he was a state protected murderer before? What kind of logics stand behind that? So.....have a little mercy with him, because the US GOVERNMENT made him be like that raw piece of sh.. He is? sounds like he should get a kind of bonus for what he did to the afghanis before. GET LOST, US EMBASSY!!!!!!

lol us officials.. guy isnt affected by what he did in afghan.. he himself admited he was far away from combat most of the time. He was on a submarine and never killed anyone directly.

Those stories are all lies. Guy was a simple sociopath with not much brains.

next time they should blame this on the hepatitis that he caught and almost killed him from all the hookers he banged without condom

Edited by thaiIand

How many years did that Thai cop get for killing that Canadian bloke and then cold-bloodedly shooting his girlfriend to get rid of the witness?

How about the son of a very prominent politician whos son shot a man dead in a night-club in front of two hundred witnesses? Oh yeah.......he never went to jail.

What about the son of an important businessman and his wife (ex-Miss Thailand 1996) who deliberately drove his car into a bus queue killing one innocent woman? Oh yeah.......he never went to jail.

Roger that. You could also mention the case of the Canadian lady who shot her farang husband in Chiang Mai and was out and back home to Canada in less than 5 years. Or the case of two other farangs in Chiang Mai who got drunk together ending in a fight with one shooting the other in the face. Guilty party out in under 5 years again. While I'm not defending Fanelli's actions his sentence seems to be in proportion to the other sentences I have knowledge of.

Roger that. You could also mention the case of the Canadian lady who shot her farang husband in Chiang Mai and was out and back home to Canada in less than 5 years. Or the case of two other farangs in Chiang Mai who got drunk together ending in a fight with one shooting the other in the face. Guilty party out in under 5 years again. While I'm not defending Fanelli's actions his sentence seems to be in proportion to the other sentences I have knowledge of.

No the difference is that those case were once in a lifetime mistakes. Ronaldo is a sociopath who was ticking time bomb and now that he has tasted easy blood, it will stick with him and he'll want more.

Im frankly surprised it took him so long to kill someone here. He has a short fuse and a napoleon complex

Odd.

Foreigners that murder other foreigners, such as Margarete Crane and William Thomas Douglas received sentences of 2 1/2 years and 3 years respectively, for committing murder in Thailand.

Yet convicted of murdering a Thai and a foreigner is sentenced to 10 years.

No the difference is that those case were once in a lifetime mistakes. Ronaldo is a sociopath who was ticking time bomb and now that he has tasted easy blood, it will stick with him and he'll want more.

Im frankly surprised it took him so long to kill someone here. He has a short fuse and a napoleon complex

And you know this for a fact? How do you know this? Are you a psychiatrist or psychologist that was assigned to the case? What gives you any more insight into this case than the average punter?

And you know this for a fact? How do you know this? Are you a psychiatrist or psychologist that was assigned to the case? What gives you any more insight into this case than the average punter?

he's threatened to kill me many times for simply stating privately that i dislike him and that he shouldn't give life advices to people when hes poor and full of hooker diseases and a complete mess who only had friends because he was in an area where socially awkward white boys would hang out with anybody that was white and not 60years old..

His advices were quite dangerous and completely false.

Edited by thaiIand

I think this link explains the second one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalerm_Ubumrung

The fact that Dad is now Deputy Prime Minister is rather sad despite the fact that baby son was acquitted when all the witnesses suddenly couldn't remember. Unfortunately a judge cannot put someone away without evidence however compelling circumstantial events might be. Thailand is not the only place in the world where justice is kidnapped by the rich and powerful or simply the criminal. One might have thought the scandal at least might have brought about a political price to pay.

He is currently serving a life sentence for murder.

Yeah, but not I'm not sure it was for that murder. He also killed his pregnant wife!

Thai cop in city man's murder allegedly killed again

The Thai police officer charged with killing a Calgary man two years ago is now accused of clubbing his pregnant teenage bride to death. The 18-yr-old, reported to be four months pregnant, was found dead only weeks after she married Uthai Dechawiwat, who is now in custody, according to reports out of Thailand.

Dechawiwat, a former police sergeant, is awaiting trial for gunning down 25-yr-old Calgary backpacker Leo Del Pinto in January 2008, and wounding his companion, Carly Reisig.

Continues:

http://www.calgarysu...0/15414621.html

Calgary Sun - September 20, 2010

The U.S. Embassy pleads his case given his duty in Afghanistan might have altered his behaviour as he killed so many people.

Is the U.S. Government now saying that every staff member that has killed in the name of war is now a potential murderer? If so, they should be warning the general public.

This is one instance when the Embassy should butt out. Ludicrous defense and offensive that they try to plead the case for a man who confessed to an awful crime.

You clearly have no clue what serving in the military during wartime is like, nor the effects of PTSD, especially from combat.

Of course I'm sure the rest of your OPINION is based on closely following the case and trial in it's entirety.

There are WAY too many opinionated old women on this forum already...

Thank you for that. Well stated. Of course all of the people in those examples were probably also affected from military combat PTSD....or not!

It is a SCANDAL this statement if the US Embassy! So it is an EXCUSE to be a murderer, because he was a state protected murderer before? What kind of logics stand behind that? So.....have a little mercy with him, because the US GOVERNMENT made him be like that raw piece of sh.. He is? sounds like he should get a kind of bonus for what he did to the afghanis before. GET LOST, US EMBASSY!!!!!!

Another shining example of an intelligent individual.

Makes me wonder just how many losers are hiding out in Thailand.

It is so refreshing to see at least some intelligent observations and conversation on this topic. I really get tired of all the ignorant comments and opinions so prevalent on Thaivisa.

Psychiatrist...hahaha, maybe 6th grade is my guess...

Yes........for killing another Thai.

Yes.

My statement is correct.

he's threatened to kill me many times for simply stating privately that i dislike him and that he shouldn't give life advices to people when hes poor and full of hooker diseases and a complete mess who only had friends because he was in an area where socially awkward white boys would hang out with anybody that was white and not 60years old..

His advices were quite dangerous and completely false.

Oh Lord, really? The way you run your mouth I'm not surprised....

BUT THEY WERE THAIS--- TIT.

HOPE they reverse the decision and he gets 20 years, in fact he should get life.

I laugh at the us government saying because he killed people while serving in a war zone he acted like he did-- RUBBISH, that means every soldier is a potential KILLER.

In the US he would have been given life anyhow.

Yes.

My statement is correct.

The point I'm trying to make is that justice for Thai killing farang and farang killing Thai are not the same.

As is rich killing poor versus poor killing anyone.

Yes.

My statement is correct.

The point I'm trying to make is that justice for Thai killing farang and farang killing Thai are not the same.

Yes, very true. A Thai killing a farang is likely to be given a much, much longer sentence than a farang killing a Thai, going by news reports of sentences given.

It is unfair that Thais are dealt with so much worse than farangs in the Thai legal/justice system, but you just have to accept that you will be treated better than the locals and live with it.

Edited by hehehoho

Yes, very true. A Thai killing a farang is likely to be given a much, much longer sentence than a farang killing a Thai, going by news reports of sentences given.

It is unfair that Thais are dealt with so much worse than farangs in the Thai legal/justice system, but you just have to accept that you will be treated better than the locals and live with it.

It depends on the Thai, if a well connected Thai has a ferang murdered they won't be prosecuted and may not even mentioned as a suspect in the first place.

My son in law did two tours in Iraq - he isn't a deranged potential killer & he did see action. Hiding behind all the psycho-babble bullsh1t doesn't wash I'm afraid. The embassy staff should be ashamed of themselves. He's a confessed killer, he should pay for his crime

You clearly have no clue what serving in the military during wartime is like, nor the effects of PTSD, especially from combat.

Of course I'm sure the rest of your OPINION is based on closely following the case and trial in it's entirety.

There are WAY too many opinionated old women on this forum already...