Neighborhood Bar, And Live Music In Cm

californiabeachboy

I am heading over to Chiang Mai in a couple of weeks for the first time (I have been to Thailand before) and I am looking for some suggestions as to a good place to have an early evening/happy hour drink, and also later on some live music.

As for the drink, I am looking for a place that has maybe a mix of tourists and locals, friendly place to sit and have a drink and maybe a chat with people from Chiang Mai or other parts of the world. My preferred area is Changpuak, Old Town, or West of Old Town - North or South of Huay Kaew road. In the old days we would call this a neighborhood bar.

My rule is if I walk into a bar alone I walk out alone so I am not looking for anything else, and I don't want to be pressured to buy a drink for anyone other than myself.

As for the live music, I like jazz, blues, and, as my young neighbor calls it, stone age rock and roll. I surfed the net a bit and saw a place called the Playhouse that has something called Jazzmatazz outdoors on Sunday evenings. Is that still going? Should I just walk over to the river and wander around?, as I am told there are several places with live music there (La Brasserie?).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Try the North Gate Jazz bar, always seems like a friendly place. For 'stone age rock' try Guitar Man, though it's under new owner ship and I haven't been since the last night of the old owner.

Brasserie does have great live music also, just north of the Riverside, and later at night develops a bar attitude.

If you want a nice bar try Doo-Dee unfortunately or fortunately no live music but they have a nice sound system and will play what you like. The owner is a Thai lady and the bar draws locals Thai and farang also tourist staying at the chiang mai gate hotel across street. Bar located south of chiang mai gate on Suriwongse Rd.

I was at the Halloween party at the Playhouse. They announced that Jazzmatazz will move to Saturday nights. I was impressed with the Jazzmatazz band. Good musicians. I really enjoyed the guitar player. They had a guest singer that night. I'd have to see their regular set before I could give you an accurate review. I'd say it's worth checking out though. I plan to go back. I'll post again after I do.

Do you have rules when you walk into supermarkets too? :)

he does seem very strict on what he wants dont think he will like it here much as most of us live here to be a bit free and bit more open to new things

maybe try the 7/11 a few beers and run back to your hotel before you see something you wont like lol

Do you have rules when you walk into supermarkets too? :)

he does seem very strict on what he wants dont think he will like it here much as most of us live here to be a bit free and bit more open to new things

maybe try the 7/11 a few beers and run back to your hotel before you see something you wont like lol

well said very articulate