Poor Restaurants

DGS1244

On Friday 11 th. November for Loy Kratong I took the family to a restaurant on Charoenrat Road, surprisingly parking was no problem but the service was. We eventually got a waitress to take our order, the drinks took about 15 minutes and starter 16 minutes, one main course arrived then a second some 10 minutes later, warm fish but cold chips. We were then informed that another main course we had ordered was not now available so we changed it to a Carbonara/Spaghetti, by the time that arrived, another 10 minutes, the first serving was finished and the fish less cold chips was almost consumed. The Carbonara turned out to be a tasteless lump of overcooked spaghetti and after a couple of mouthfuls was left for the rats to eat. Asking for the Check Bin and telling the waitress that the food was inedible became a daunting task, after agreat deal of discussion we were offered another 'meal' but by then everyone else had long finished anyway. I managed eventually to find the 'manager' to discuss the problem, by this time my partner. being Thai, just wanted to pay up and leave but after a lot of haggling I managed to get the bill discounted reasonably. I appreciate that it was a very busy night, but having run major restaurants in the past I know from experience that is no excuse for poor food and service. If they have complaints then they should be able to deal with them promptly. Guess where I will not be going again. Maybe there should be a forum where complaints regarding restaurants can be aired for all to read.

Edited by sbk
name and shame

If you've read the various posts about restaurants on this forum you'll probably realize that for every person who has a bad experience at a particular eatery there's another half a dozen or so who claim that restaurant is the greatest place on the planet for food! In your case you went and had a poor experience, in partial mitigation you do tell us that it was during the Loy Kratong holiday and also that when you complained you received a "reasonable discount". I would have thought those things might have been sufficient for most people rather than to try and publicly condemn the place to one and all, that is however your prerogative. I live fairly close to this restaurant and have visited there many many times. I think the place is known more as a music/pub venue that also serves food rather than a specialty restaurant of any type, as such their food is generally OK rather than a spectacular dining experience, having said those things I have never had a real problem with their food quality and would likely eat their again without any difficulty.

Edited by sbk
name removed

Name and shame is not allowed on this forum. Thailand has very strict criminal defamation laws and Thaivisa does not want its members or the forum to be caught up in a criminal investigation should owners read defamatory comments.

If you really need to get it all off your chest, write up your gripe and save it.

You can then post "PM me for my latest experience at XX restaurant"

Just cut and paste your gripe to those who are interested enough to PM you.

I think that's OK unsure.gif......is it sbk?

If you've read the various posts about restaurants on this forum you'll probably realize that for every person who has a bad experience at a particular eatery there's another half a dozen or so who claim that restaurant is the greatest place on the planet for food!

Excellent observation. :thumbsup:

Or get around it like everyone else in Thailand, by describing the place close enough for people to figure it out, but without stating the name.

Thais are forced to go to a level of childishness that's really quite silly. "I went to this restaurant starting with the letter '...' and is well known for XYZ, and ..."

There was another post on this forum that went to three pages without being closed, as it stopped just short of the 'defamation' border spot on, I was very impressed with that. (Before anyone asks, I forgot exactly which topic, but it started with 'N' and was about printing and is currently on page 2 of the topics list.

Or get around it like everyone else in Thailand, by describing the place close enough for people to figure it out, but without stating the name.

Thais are forced to go to a level of childishness that's really quite silly. "I went to this restaurant starting with the letter '...' and is well known for XYZ, and ..."

There was another post on this forum that went to three pages without being closed, as it stopped just short of the 'defamation' border spot on, I was very impressed with that. (Before anyone asks, I forgot exactly which topic, but it started with 'N' and was about printing and is currently on page 2 of the topics list.

TIT :lol:

Having run major restaurants in the past ? Than at least you should know that this is Thailand where you order your starter first, when your starter arrives that is the time when order your main course.

When living in Thailand forget about being in a hurry, everything goes sabai sabai , just relax when you go for dinner or else order a pizza delivery.

In Europe the maximum waiting time for your dish would be 20 minutes, 15 minutes is not something to complain about , its surprisingly fast.

Cheers

Having run major restaurants in the past ? Than at least you should know that this is Thailand where you order your starter first, when your starter arrives that is the time when order your main course.

When living in Thailand forget about being in a hurry, everything goes sabai sabai , just relax when you go for dinner or else order a pizza delivery.

In Europe the maximum waiting time for your dish would be 20 minutes, 15 minutes is not something to complain about , its surprisingly fast.

Cheers

Actually, most service in Thailand is quite fast in my experience. Also in my observations, Thai's don't like to wait any more than Farang.. They just handle it better when they have to. If a place has terribly slow service, Thai's will mention it, just as much as farang. Why do people act like everything here is super chill and laid back? Most successful restaurants hussle their @ss of to make sure their customer doesn't spend the evening waiting for their dish.

Have you seen Thai's drive? Have you seen Thai's wait in line? Just curious.

Name and shame is not allowed on this forum. Thailand has very strict criminal defamation laws and Thaivisa does not want its members or the forum to be caught up in a criminal investigation should owners read defamatory comments.

So how would its members get caught up in a criminal investigation on an anonymous forum? Thai visa I can see your point but not its members.

So how would its members get caught up in a criminal investigation on an anonymous forum? Thai visa I can see your point but not its members.

Ah, so you DON'T recall being carried out of The Red Lion and waking up with a micro chip implanted in the back of your neck? wink.gif

Edited by uptheos