Barclays Bank-anyone Use It?

DJ Pat

Due to a fraud issue currently being dealt with, anyone with a Barclays Bank account will not be able to withdraw cash from any ATM in Thailand for at least another seven days.

I found this out today after trying-repeatedly-to withdraw cash at ATM machines.

You can get cash by going to the counter of any large bank that shows the "Visa" sign and presenting your card and passport to the teller, who would also need to phone Barclays to verify your details, so go to a farang friendly branch otherwise this will be a major problem.

You can still make card purchases within Thailand as well.

Thanks Pat, I'm with BB and didn't know about that.

I would like to change to Nationwide but have found it impossible to open an account with ANY bank in UK without a personal visit.

Any one here managed it ?

Not yet.

I emailed Nationwide and they told me it would be possible. I went through the process, sent them the documents and then they asked me to go in person with some more documents. :o

Pat, does the Barclays thing affect Barclaycard Visa or just the Connect cards related to an account?

As far as i know it only affects those with current or savings accounts.

I know many with Nationwide accounts, whats the craze about Nationwide? Free withdrawls worldwide? Barclays charge 1.50 per withdrawl, the bastards.

Yep free withdrawls mate, and i shouldnt worry about the £1.50, you get charged that in the U.K if you dont use the correct atm. Now thats a rip off :o . I dont mind paying to take money out thousands of miles away in a foreign country, but in the U.K no way should we have to pay. I feel so strongly about this, i will drive to find one that dosent charge, even if it costs me more than £1.50 to get there, just out of principal. <deleted> :D

Thanks Pat, I'm with BB and didn't know about that.

I would like to change to Nationwide but have found it impossible to open an account with ANY bank in UK without a personal visit.

Any one here managed it ?

I managed to open an account without visiting the branch, although that was when I was back in the UK earlier this year...

The trick is to still have an active address in the UK where you are still on the electoral role, and where you can still post them some utility bills with your name on. This worked out OK for me as I have a flat I let out in the UK so card and PIN were posted there, and then got a friend to post them on to me in Bangkok...

If you can do it, it's well worth it - not only are withdrawals commission free, the exchange rates that show on your statement beat the shit out of any rate I've seen both in Blighty and Thailand...

They also gave me a fairly hefty overdraft without asking - wihthout me depositing a penny :o

On a recent trip to Chiang Mai I needed to to take out 20k bt one evening as one does...Red Lion/o mallys etc.

Anyway just to make a comparision I used my Nationwide to take out 10k and my other over the wall "Jockstrap bank" ATM to withdraw the other 10.

The N/w gave me the dosh ...10,000 bt at an exchange rate of 72 and a bit with NO charges.

Jockstrap Bank gave me a rate of 71.60 :D BUT also with a charge of £3-22....AND an ERTF -wtfk is that at £3-34....so not only an inferior rate but a total "contribution"to their profits of ....£6-56.

Need one say anymore.... :o

bb informed me recently that they need to have an outer country address to send my cc because of bank fraud and cardstealing in thailand

and it is true as soon a letter looks like to include a cc it is damaged or even the letter will not arrive

i am waiting for some sportclubmembership card since april be sent twice already and the address didn't change and evwen oversea letters arrive always wirh in a week as long there is no bankcard in or something is looking like