PM Yingluck's Tears Not Helping Us: Thai Poll

webfact

SURVEY

PM's tears not helping us: poll

The Nation

Photo : Thanis Sudto

30169804-01.jpg

About three in five people say the sight of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra crying undermines their confidence in the government's ability to tackle the flood crisis, Suan Dusit Poll said in a survey released yesterday.

The survey said crying was perceived as a sign of weak leadership, dampening the hopes of flood victims.In a survey by Abac Poll, however, seven in 10 people did not think another politician would handle the flooding any better than the prime minister.

More than 90 per cent of respondents said the only way to overcome the flood crisis was for Thais to unite.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-14

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The headline could have better been:

Most people would like to see unity

or

Most people think no other politician would have been better than Yingluck

but the nation decided on the negative to Yingluck one as usual. The other two didnt go with the get PTP out agenda even if they had higher respondent positives than the chosen one and even considering most of these polls oversample the middle class

I suppose people would rather be ruled by robots. How refreshing to see a human being in politics for a change.

Her oft-repeated sobbing spells make her look weak. Weak people cannot be in a position as high as hers.

Agreed. She needs to be strong for the people watching her. Get the flood situation under control, help your people and when this is all over and back to normal, go on a chat show and have a good cry. But right now, do your job.

Also, if this really is so sad and distressing for Yingluck, she should give up some of those millions of dollars she has to help 'her' people. I'm sure a few million dollars would mean nothing to her. Same as every other filthy rich Thai in this country who claims Thailand is a 'family'. I don't have much, but If my family needed it, I would give it all to them.

Edited by rkidlad

I suppose people would rather be ruled by robots. How refreshing to see a human being in politics for a change.

She is like a robot. "please be patient" sob sob "we are doing the best we can" sob sob (repeat as needed)

or

but the nation decided on the negative to Yingluck one as usual. The other two didnt go with the get PTP out agenda even if they had higher respondent positives than the chosen one and even considering most of these polls oversample the middle class

You're free to post media articles on those topics or add to posts in the threads that do cover those topics.

/

Tears are a sign of weakness in a national leader, unless something truly extraordinary and horrible has happened. Such as if the dam had burst and killed 10,000 in a day.

A slow moving flood that's killed 450 in 3 months is not that heart wrenching to call for this show of extraordinary emotion, and makes it seem a sign of weakness, not of ' the rock ' needed for all to cling to in their need. It is a truly sad and melancholy thing in so many ways, and should cause controlled emotion to be seen.

Would they accept it if she cried if a plane with 450 Thais crashed and all lost? No they wouldn't. They would expect she was upset, and talked of the steps being taken for their loved ones, not break down in tears. Strength in a leader is what they need and expect.

A leader MUST show STRENGTH to lead,

crying is not a show of this strength,

regardless of is shows humanity.

Edited by animatic

or

You're free to post media articles on those topics or add to posts in the threads that do cover those topics.

/

The rules of the forums effectively make the nationmultimedia group the sole source of print media information. We are not allowed to reference the newspapers that account for the other almost 90% of the market. (I believe Pattaya One and Phuket Gazette are acceptable). As such, the forum readers essentially are treated to one viewpoint. The international media isn't really covering the local aspect of the floods except to show the water with captions such as Thailand Drowning. I do note the hypocrisy of the condemnation of the PM's infequent signs of emotion. If she didn't do this, she would be accused of being a heartless b*tch. I do think she cares. The assumption that all Thais are insensitive is just plain wrong.

I find that my newsfeed from soidog both uplifting and depressing and I am sometimes reduced to tears as I see images of Thais helping the critters and the humans that are helping them. It's an aspect of the floods that I suppose most readers are unaware of. Thailand has some very kindhearted decent compassionate humans, both Thai and farang. Have a look at some of the pictures and you will see today's story of an old man that saved a dog from nearly drowning. Soidog made sure he was given some food, water and assistance. I suppose if I had to see and hear stories like that 24/7, I too would be showing compassion and concern in public. Instead, I am dry and have lots of food and refreshment. I am contributing to the relief efforts both human and animal and will issue another donation in December for the soidog humans doing wonderful work..

Edited by geriatrickid

Do you mean Nostitz is wrong about Matichon; the newspaper that published it?

neither the Nation nor the Bangkok Post have ever been proponents of modern journalism. Thailand has far better publications in the newspaper genre anyhow, such as Matichon or Thai Rath.

The question is always"Is it real or Reuters?" wink.gif

Remember the scandal over images in Iraq

Do you mean Nostitz is wrong about Matichon; the newspaper that published it?

neither the Nation nor the Bangkok Post have ever been proponents of modern journalism. Thailand has far better publications in the newspaper genre anyhow, such as Matichon or Thai Rath.

The question is always"Is it real or Reuters?" wink.gif

Remember the scandal over images in Iraq

oh ok, I'll have to reconsider the validity of Nostitz's assessment then.

Perhaps monkfish can provide another of his illuminating assessments on photographic genuineness.

Tears are a sign of weakness in a national leader, unless something truly extraordinary and horrible has happened. Such as if the dam had burst and killed 10,000 in a day.

A slow moving flood that's killed 450 in 3 months is not that heart wrenching to call for this show of extraordinary emotion, and makes it seem a sign of weakness, not of ' the rock ' needed for all to cling to in their need. It is a truly sad and melancholy thing in so many ways, and should cause controlled emotion to be seen.

By far the most tearful politician of them all was Sir Winston Churchill. Harold Nicolson kept a diary throughout the war years; as an MP, he was able to see Churchill close-up in the House of Commons.

He often witnessed his tears. On May 13, 1940, Lloyd George gets up and, writes Nicolson, ‘makes a moving speech telling Winston how fond he is of him. Winston cries slightly and mops his eyes’.

Then on January 18, 1944, Churchill, who has been convalescing from pneumonia in Marrakesh, makes an unexpected return to the House of Commons.

‘I was idly glancing at my Order Paper when I saw (SAW is the word) a gasp of astonishment pass over the faces of the Labour Party opposite,’ writes Nicolson.

‘Suddenly, they jumped to their feet and started shouting, waving their papers in the air. We also jumped up and the whole House broke into cheer after cheer while Winston, very pink, rather shy, beaming with mischief, crept along the front bench and flung himself into his accustomed seat.

He was flushed with pleasure and emotion, and hardly had he sat down when two large tears began to trickle down his cheeks. He mopped at them clumsily with a huge white handkerchief.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1251807/CRAIG-BROWN-Churchill-tearful-politician-all.html#ixzz1dfF18N4t

<br />
<br />Tears are a sign of weakness in a national leader, unless something truly extraordinary and horrible has happened. Such as if the dam had burst and killed 10,000 in a day. <br /><br />A slow moving flood that's killed 450 in 3 months is not that heart wrenching to call for this show of extraordinary emotion, and makes it seem  a sign of weakness, not of ' the rock ' needed for all to cling to in their need.  It is a truly sad and melancholy thing in so many ways, and should cause controlled emotion to be seen.  <br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />By far the most tearful politician of them all was Sir Winston Churchill. Harold Nicolson kept a diary throughout the war years; as an MP, he was able to see Churchill close-up in the House of Commons.<br /><br />He often witnessed his tears. On May 13, 1940, Lloyd George gets up and, writes Nicolson, 'makes a moving speech telling Winston how fond he is of him. Winston cries slightly and mops his eyes'.<br /><br />Then on January 18, 1944, Churchill, who has been convalescing from pneumonia in Marrakesh, makes an unexpected return to the House of Commons.<br /><br />'I was idly glancing at my Order Paper when I saw (SAW is the word) a gasp of astonishment pass over the faces of the Labour Party opposite,' writes Nicolson.<br /><br />'Suddenly, they jumped to their feet and started shouting, waving their papers in the air. We also jumped up and the whole House broke into cheer after cheer while Winston, very pink, rather shy, beaming with mischief, crept along the front bench and flung himself into his accustomed seat.<br /><br />He was flushed with pleasure and emotion, and hardly had he sat down when two large tears began to trickle down his cheeks. He mopped at them clumsily with a huge white handkerchief.'<br /><br />Read more: <a href='http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1251807/CRAIG-BROWN-Churchill-tearful-politician-all.html#ixzz1dfF18N4t' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1dfF18N4t</a><br />
<br /><br /><br />

You are trying to equate Yingluck with Churchill. Not even remotely close... or relevant.

Churchill made the hard decisions during a time of war. Yingluck cries because she cannot and is ineffectual.

or

Thanks for highlighting a classic example of how opinion in this news forum is regularly funneled in the direction which the Nation often wants readers/posters to go.

You are trying to equate Yingluck with Churchill. Not even remotely close... or relevant.

Churchill made the hard decisions during a time of war. Yingluck cries because she cannot and is ineffectual.

I think most people will manage to grasp the point.

Winston Churhill teared up on more than one occasion. So has former US President Bill Clinton and it was not over a "death of 10,000" as one childish poster wrote. Even hard- nosed former US President George Bush teared up. Get over it. Thailand's past Prime Minister showed a genuine lack of emotion and the first flood issues were on his watch. If PM Yinglick had shown no emotion during this crisis, the other side would no doubt be calling for her head for not caring.

Put your politics aside people as the world will pass Thailand by if you don't.

Anyone ever think that maybe she actually cares for people? IMHO smugness and condescending facial features shows zero compassion.

Even her political enemies don't suggest she lacks compassion.They criticise her ineffectiveness and lack of leadership experience.