San Sai Mt. Bike Race On 20/11/11

junglechef

Just found out there's a Mt. Bike Race in San Sai this Sunday. It's a early Father's Day event which has 3 different lengths (44 km/33 km/ fun ride) with 26 categories in all. Trophy and cash prizes etc. I have extra entry forms which includes a route map (it starts at the Tessaban goes to Mae Kuang Dam and back) if anybody is interested. I have found difficulty finding info on events like this (luckily my GF heard the village speakers announcing it as I live 1/2 km from the course) so wanted to share. Get in touch if your planning to go and you'd like to meet up for a chat as I'm sure there's lots of hanging about before as I've experienced at these events before. With this weather it should be a fun day for the whole family!

It'salmost totally on pavement with a little hard packed dirt. A Mt. Bike isrequired as is a helmet. No road bikes or aero handlebars (the kindtri-athelets use). A hard tail with no front suspension would probably be thebest (a Thai guys I know who live around here who rides the course a lot andhas a 1/2 doz. diff. bike of diff. configurations choose this set up forhimself) to save weight as there in no technical riding. It's free, just showup at the San Sai Tessaban at 5:30 am on Sunday for registration (that's whatthey are saying but I'm sure a bit later will be fine) That is the start andfinish line. Not sure what time the races will start. I've heard that they areexpecting 1000 ppl.!!! All the information is only what I've heard but even 1/2that and it will be quite an event. I posted more info on the Chiang Mai Forumpage. If you want to ask me anything else just post today, I'll chk. in here asI'm home today to rest day before the big race (lol- I just ride in them forfun and always have a blast!). Feel free to PM me w/your telephone # if youwant to ask in person and I'll call you back

Nice race with far more than 1’200 participants.

Organization at start/finish area (registration/labeling, rest rooms, free beverages, traffic control, finishing line a.s.o.) as well as along the route was professionally done.

Already looking forward to San Sai 2012.

Thanks a lot to all people involved!!!

Nice race with far more than 1’200 participants.

Organization at start/finish area (registration/labeling, rest rooms, free beverages, traffic control, finishing line a.s.o.) as well as along the route was professionally done.

Already looking forward to San Sai 2012.

Thanks a lot to all people involved!!!

Brilliant morning out. Good to meet JungleChef (you can meet good peeps through this board). Hard race in the over 60s but what was so nice in all the B events was the spread of abilities - some guys finishing up to an hour behind the winner.

Next race from the big lake near the 700 stadium. Goes towards Mae Rim, then up to the lephant camp and onto the Queen's Botanical Gardens. Finishes at the top of the gardens and I can tell you that is a mighty steep climb! December the 4th organised by Tum at SpinBike.

• 3 weeks later...