Translation Of "Frustrated"

luckyfarang

This is one of those English words that will translate into many different Thai words in different contexts, and there is no one perfect translation.

Having said that, I am extremely frustrated with the poor translations found in dictionaries, and would like to hear the forum members' own experiences with its usage.

อัดอั้นใจ, อัดอั้นตันใจ - I have never heard this used in real life or in my reading, so I have only the dictionary to go on. I would be interested in hearing its usage from anyone that has heard it used.

แห้ว - I've never heard this one used to mean "frustrated" either

คัดใจ - This is the one that I have heard used, and I think native Thai speakers would recognize, but I can't seem to find this in the dictionary. I remember it from Sathienpong's dictionary, but not sure of the spelling.

หงุดหงิด - This one I hear commonly, and have seen it translate as "frustrated" in the Becker dictionary, but I think this is a bad translation. In my experience, it means "grouchy", "irritable", "grumpy"

อึดอัดใจ - Here is another "close but no cigar". I would translate this as

"to feel out of place" or "to feel ill at ease" or "feel (mentally, not physically) uncomfortable"

กระวนกระวายใจ - This one is my second favorite from the dictionary, but I haven't heard it used in real life yet, so I'm curious to hear some comments.

คับข้องใจ - This one is my favorite candidate from the dictionary, but I haven't yet heard it used.

ผิดคาด - This one fits the meaning of "to frustrate" (broken expectations), but not to "feel frustration"

ผิดหวัง - This one I would translate more as "disappointed" (broken dreams)

Ideally, one should be able to take the best term for "frustrated", and add the word ความ in front of it to make the word "frustration"

I've struggled with this one a long time & I don't think the perfect translation exists, probably because the English intransitive meaning of 'feeling frustrated' is probably a new connotative short-hand itself... I've tried most of the above, but prefer to de-construct the original English to its transitive meaning of 'raising obstacles' and translate to Thai from that, seems to work, อุปสรรค in one form or another, certainly already has a metaphorical use as exemplified by Carabao's song 'หำเทียม'