Where To Live In Bkk

Hi

I am in a lucky situation where my work will allow me to work from Thailand for a year or so from around March next year. So I am thinking now is a good time to ask, where are the dry areas in BKK?

Seriously though, I am looking for a house or condo with 3 bedrooms, must have a high speed internet connection (critical for my work) so at least ADSL2+ with 100 or 200GB download per month. Preferably a service with a lowish ping to Australia.

I was wondering if I would get far on 20-30K per month?

Other requirements are, have a daughter who needs to attend pre-school, preferably one that teaches in English but also Thai. Wife is Thai so my daughter understand a bit, (generally when she is in trouble).

What other things/costs should I be considering with a house/apartment in BKK?

All assistance appreciated.

BTW did read through the forums and was hoping to get some more upto date information.

Thanks

Most of central Bangkok is dry.

But don't forget, this flooding is NOT a regular occurrence.....which isn't to say that it won't happen again next year, but it is unlikely. Also, there will be work undertaken to minimize it happening in the future.

So I would concentrate more on "where".

Certainly, for 30,000 Baht per month, you won't get anything 4 or 5 star in Bangkok's better areas. A one bedroom apartment/condo in a good area will cost you at least 20,000 baht per month whereas a 3 bedroom will be a minimum of 50,000 baht. You will get a small house out of the centre for 20-30,000 but it may not be where you would want to live. After all, you are only talking about $650 - $1000 AUD (I assume that you are Australian) per month.

Equate central Bangkok rentals at about 50% to 60% of say Sydney or Melbourne rentals. A good 1 b/room in a good area of Sydney or Melbourne will cost around $300 ++ per week, so in BKK it would be equivalent of $190 per week. A good 3 bedroom condo/house in Australia would be a minimum of $750 a week (22,500 Baht), so for a month, expect to pay around 50,000 baht +++.

Internet isn't an issue...although it can be slow at times.

Schooling for your daughter isn't an issue. Many very fine schools in BKK.

Only additional costs are water and electricity.....apart from your living expenses.

Please be aware that Asia is becoming more and more costly to live comfortably. Don't expect to live well on $500 (AUD) per month (rent excluded). Those days are gone.

Really, the most important thing is to find the area where you and your family will be happy.

Good luck

Yep we live on the riverside as well-for us its ideal cause we have a young son and my party days along sukhumvit and other areas are done.

We rent a two bedroom for less than 25k.

Not our place but one I pass everyday and worth checking out for a 3 bedroom is watermark chao phraya.

Yep we live on the riverside as well-for us its ideal cause we have a young son and my party days along sukhumvit and other areas are done.

We rent a two bedroom for less than 25k.

Not our place but one I pass everyday and worth checking out for a 3 bedroom is watermark chao phraya.

In Watermark you will definitely not get a two bedroom for less than 25K. Why don´t you try the neighbour "Supalai River Place"? It´s a very nice place with river view, pool and gym.

Right now there is not many condo´s available for less than 25K. Due to the flood situation, many owners rent out short term to help the flood victims. But definitely possible to find a 2 bedroom for less than 25K, when the situation is back to normal. Also a few owners don´t accept short rentals, even during this terrible flood situation in the country.

I like the sukhumvit area close to BTS Phrong Pong- you have Emporium/Villa markets for groceries and Sunday afternoon hanging out in the mall (if thats your thing), a very well kept park (Benjasiri park) with small lake, jogging tracks and amazing new kids playground areas; 4 good British/irish pubs within walking distance (Dubliner, Ship Inn, Robin Hood, Londoner,), Coyotes mexican restaurant. Plus its far enough away from Nana so none of the beer Singha singlet vest /beer belly sex tourist crowd. It is expensive- the families i know who stay there are paying 120,000 baht per month for 3 bedroom condos, but im sure there are bargains to be had in the area.

Please be aware that Asia is becoming more and more costly to live comfortably. Don't expect to live well on $500 (AUD) per month (rent excluded). Those days are gone.

Really, the most important thing is to find the area where you and your family will be happy.

Good luck

Very true. A sexpat slumming it can get by on a 10,000bht room and street food but a quality life with a child like your used to back home does not come a lot cheaper in BKK

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah I have noticed prices creeping up over there.

I am going to be there for around 12 months, maybe longer if I can find another contract.

I will have a look around the Riverside area. Suhkumvit is fine if you are chasing tail, not so good to raise a family.

I have been looking at international schools over there and some are more expensive than some private schools in Sydney and Melbourne here. Anyone have feedback on the international schools around Riverside?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah I have noticed prices creeping up over there.

I am going to be there for around 12 months, maybe longer if I can find another contract.

I will have a look around the Riverside area. Suhkumvit is fine if you are chasing tail, not so good to raise a family.

I have been looking at international schools over there and some are more expensive than some private schools in Sydney and Melbourne here. Anyone have feedback on the international schools around Riverside?

For international schools check our the family and children thread. As for Riverside Schools, take a 2nd mortgage and call me in the morning.

Now if budget is no option, move into Chatrium Suites and send your kid to million baht a year school below and left of it.

With family and kids i would not consider condos, riverside or elsewhere. With the sky train extension now operational i'd be looking some nice townhouse along Sukhumvit sois On-nut onward where 20 - 30k will get you plenty of space and good safe place for kids to play outside. And when there is need to be in downtown it's 30 mins away even in rush hour. 15 mins if you are within walking distance from sky train.

Not to mention you have access to Bang Na shopping facilities + Ikea (if you like meatballs) not to mention Seacon and Paradise Park. So no need to shop in downtown if you really don't want to.

Load of international schools around for every budget.

And there is condo's as well for those who do not like townhouses. Prices a fraction compared to soi 24 etc.

I moved here here about 4 months back to do my MBA and have been exploring the BTS Stations ever since. I agree that for work and play living close to one, especcially if you don't drive is best. I am no expert but learning along the way. I actually recently set up a FREE site for Expats in Bangkok and English Speakers here in general called www.BangkokBTSCondos.com . I DONT MAKE ANYTHING AND IT IS NOT FOR PROFIT. Just a way to share what I learn about the condos at each stop and amenities offered at each location along the Bangkok BTS Skytrain. Anyway, if your wanting to compare Condos near the BTS check out my little hobby and click like to share it if you find it useful. I am also looking for tips of places to add so if you know of any share them with me here or at the site link to FB. Thanks! P.S. I love OnNut BTS. Great values in this area and still very close in!

What's your budget for your child's schooling? As your child is bilingual, perhaps try and english / bilingual program in a private Thai school - that's if your serious about her developing her Thai skills. I would guess those schools would mostly be in the region of 50-150K baht a year (mine is 120K, but I'm in Nonthaburi, out of town). The curriculum followed in these schools is the Thai curriculum, but we mostly use books from Singapore (which are actually very good and challenging - following their version of the British system).

Is there any real need to be in town? Move out of town you can rent a nice house for 10-15K a month or less. I live among ricefields - don't ask about the flooding, just on my way out to do more cleaning:) Even though I bought a house, you can still rent in a nice serviced village, where you have open spaces, a park, gym, etc. The air is relatively clean too:) Just another thought...

What's your budget for your child's schooling? As your child is bilingual, perhaps try and english / bilingual program in a private Thai school - that's if your serious about her developing her Thai skills. I would guess those schools would mostly be in the region of 50-150K baht a year (mine is 120K, but I'm in Nonthaburi, out of town). The curriculum followed in these schools is the Thai curriculum, but we mostly use books from Singapore (which are actually very good and challenging - following their version of the British system).

Is there any real need to be in town? Move out of town you can rent a nice house for 10-15K a month or less. I live among ricefields - don't ask about the flooding, just on my way out to do more cleaning:) Even though I bought a house, you can still rent in a nice serviced village, where you have open spaces, a park, gym, etc. The air is relatively clean too:) Just another thought...

Thanks for this, I had thought about this and there are a couple of issues. If I lived out of town, the missus would probably want to live up in Sakon Nakhon and I have no idea if I can get the quality of net connection or the Quality of School that I want for my daughter. The other issue is that the deal with work is only for two years. So I was hoping over that time to cultivate contacts within BKK and pick up some contracts locally. Something I don't know if I could achieve out of town.

I have been looking at schools and looking at the 100-300K mark depending on bilingual or international....

I am making progress in my decision making and will post back here what I did and why in the effort that it will help others that may be making a similar move.

Try the Bang Na area, east of the city.

A few international schools in the area, right on the motorway, a few farang style moo baans that are cheaper than the city.

Certainly would get something for 25-30k per month.

I dont live there so cant answer any questions, will have to do your own research.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, im pretty much in the same situation and moving there in April. Just a question, do you get a work permit, or just hope nobody finds out? We are looking for something around On Nut, or on the other side of BTS. It is just a few minutes into the CBD.

Found any good places?

Hi, im pretty much in the same situation and moving there in April. Just a question, do you get a work permit, or just hope nobody finds out? We are looking for something around On Nut, or on the other side of BTS. It is just a few minutes into the CBD.

Found any good places?

"do you get a work permit, or just hope nobody finds out?"

Puleeeez, dont tell me you are yet another ELT, boiler room operator or timeshare tout.

Found any good places?

Puleeeez, dont tell me you are yet another ELT, boiler room operator or timeshare tout.

hehe not really. Work as an fire engineer.

Found any good places?

hehe not really. Work as an fire engineer.

Never met a fire engineer, no idea what it means, does it mean you make fires?

Probably best asking the question in the visa forum, do you have a job to come to, or are you moving over to look for a job?

If you have a job to come to the employer should sort out your WP.

Good luck, at least you have a sense of humour, much needed here.

I can highly recommend the Huay Kwang area. There are a few international-ish schools, the best being KSI (I think that is the name). Our finnish neighbors daughter goes there and they say she does more homework and has a much better education than back home in Helsinki.

Around here you can rend a 2 bedroom for 21-25,000 if you go directly to the buildings. Lots of nice condos next to the MRT ... Life, Ideo, Rythem, Diamond, etc...

Skip the online ad prices, at the juristic office they usually have direct owner contact info. Sometimes they have to pay 1 month to the juristic office but 2 bedrooms arent as much in demand around here as its mostly 1 bedroom and studios farangs want. I negotiated our 2 bedroom asking 28,000 to 22,000. 50sq. 2 bedroom.

Also, this area is a bit more thai but has everything you need and 12 min to asoke via mrt. Billions of shopping centers and restaurants and much cheaper prices than the typical farang ghettos.

I can highly recommend the Huay Kwang area. There are a few international-ish schools, the best being KSI (I think that is the name). Our finnish neighbors daughter goes there and they say she does more homework and has a much better education than back home in Helsinki.

Around here you can rend a 2 bedroom for 21-25,000 if you go directly to the buildings. Lots of nice condos next to the MRT ... Life, Ideo, Rythem, Diamond, etc...

Skip the online ad prices, at the juristic office they usually have direct owner contact info. Sometimes they have to pay 1 month to the juristic office but 2 bedrooms arent as much in demand around here as its mostly 1 bedroom and studios farangs want. I negotiated our 2 bedroom asking 28,000 to 22,000. 50sq. 2 bedroom.

Also, this area is a bit more thai but has everything you need and 12 min to asoke via mrt. Billions of shopping centers and restaurants and much cheaper prices than the typical farang ghettos.

Sorry but 50 sqm and 2 bedrooms unsure.gif

With family and kids no thanks.

25k per month will get you three times the space and three bedrooms on townhouse in Sukhumvit (On-nut - Bangna area). In a closed mooban which is very child friendly environment and still you are 15 to 30 mins from Asoke depending on how close you are to Skytrain.

More schools, more shopping, more everything and close to airport.

Actually, in the new IKEA they have a model apartment, 2BR/50 sqm. Full with IKEA furnitures as a demonstration, how to fit 4 people into such a crammed space.

Nothing I would consider for a second, but interesting: "that's how many Thais live".

Actually, in the new IKEA they have a model apartment, 2BR/50 sqm. Full with IKEA furnitures as a demonstration, how to fit 4 people into such a crammed space.

Nothing I would consider for a second, but interesting: "that's how many Thais live".

Very true and that's how many live in where i come from as well. I used to be one of them. Hated it but could not afford anything else. Now given a choice never again.

You need to make a decision the same as anywhere in the world – price vs. location. For 25k, you are not going to get a great location for the size of property you are looking for. Places mentioned like Bang-Na, and out past On-nut are not city center, but they are cheaper. Personally, I don’t like the On-Nut area itself, as others have said “it’s a bar girl slum”. I also do not like riverside because it is a mass of humanity and getting around is difficult (unless taking the skytrain to get in or out of the area). It’s an interesting place, but I cringe whenever I have a meeting or an event there due to the congestion. Obviously, this is my taste and others will disagree.

Many townhouses in city center can be had for less, but they are dumps and not near the skytrain/subway and won’t have 24 hour security. With a small child, you also want to be walking distance to the skytrain/subway and not taking a motorcycle to get to it (it’s not always easy to get a taxi on the back sois, and it can take a long time in traffic to get to the skytrain). If there is one thing a decade of living in Bangkok has taught me – live somewhere you can walk to mass transit (this goes for people working for a living and need to be somewhere on time).

My suggestion is to look at the new condos along the skytrain on the Thon Buri side of the river. Though not central, they are close. They are also much better value for money. You can get a 70-80sqm two-bedroom place right next to the skytrain for about your 25-30k budget (just note, they won’t be laid out with a big kitchen, though bathrooms are usually nice). I almost rented one, but then decided to spend more money for a very central location.

You need to make a decision the same as anywhere in the world – price vs. location. For 25k, you are not going to get a great location for the size of property you are looking for. Places mentioned like Bang-Na, and out past On-nut are not city center, but they are cheaper. Personally, I don’t like the On-Nut area itself, as others have said “it’s a bar girl slum”. I also do not like riverside because it is a mass of humanity and getting around is difficult (unless taking the skytrain to get in or out of the area). It’s an interesting place, but I cringe whenever I have a meeting or an event there due to the congestion. Obviously, this is my taste and others will disagree.

Many townhouses in city center can be had for less, but they are dumps and not near the skytrain/subway and won’t have 24 hour security. With a small child, you also want to be walking distance to the skytrain/subway and not taking a motorcycle to get to it (it’s not always easy to get a taxi on the back sois, and it can take a long time in traffic to get to the skytrain). If there is one thing a decade of living in Bangkok has taught me – live somewhere you can walk to mass transit (this goes for people working for a living and need to be somewhere on time).

My suggestion is to look at the new condos along the skytrain on the Thon Buri side of the river. Though not central, they are close. They are also much better value for money. You can get a 70-80sqm two-bedroom place right next to the skytrain for about your 25-30k budget (just note, they won’t be laid out with a big kitchen, though bathrooms are usually nice). I almost rented one, but then decided to spend more money for a very central location.

Interesting advice.

What are you thoughts on living up near Don Muang?

RAZZ

Interesting advice.

What are you thoughts on living up near Don Muang?

RAZZ

Depends on whether travel to the city centre is required each day.

There are some nice moo baans with some really nice houses up that way, last year we looked at some in the Sai Mai area.

The recent flood events dont exactly inspire confidence, but thats just me.

The lack of a BTS/MRT link may be a concern for some.

Horses for courses

Razzell,

I never really looked at it due to the lack of BTS/MRT. If communing to CBD (as I do), I would avoid it.

For me, key points on location include – 1. immediate access to BTS/MRT, and 2. a maximum 40 minutes commute to my office. This rather limits where I can live and means I have to pay more for comfort, but it’s worth it to me to save time commuting.