Dutch Offer Thailand Assistance With Water Management

webfact

Social conditions in Thailand ??? <deleted>! (read excuse for bribery or saving face because farang water expert knows more than thai politician)

The Dutch offer to sort out the water problems and these morons come out with this bs. Maybe the Thai government doesn't understand water management which has its specifics that play a far more significant role than "social conditions" such as a rivers and klongs having limited capacities and when these are exceeded lives are lost and industries ruined.

Spot on. After reading just the first paragraph of the article, it was clear that people here are not interested unless there are big kickbacks to be made. The Dutch are one of the least corrupt in the world, they don't know how to deal with that here.

"FY, we are Thai, we do not listen to foreigners, especially if you know what you are talking about."

Correct together with Switzerland we are on the top on non corrupt countries. But i am sure the Dutch help will also mean that Dutch companies help and that would mean income for our country.

Similar as Americans helping with oil, means work for the US too.

The social part i don't understand and i am Dutch.

Well, I grew up in Holland, speak Dutch as a native, but I can understand the "social" aspect.

Dutch people usually speak very direct, can be confrontational and do not put up with BS in a professional situation.

I know of several situations where there has been serious antagonism between Dutch and Thai workers.

I also firmly believe that IF the Thai government sincerely ask for help from the Dutch, they will help.

This service costs money, of course.

However, I am cynical in this regard. I do not think that anything meaningful will come out of this.

That is why the house we are going to build will be on 3 meters columns. Already planned that months before the floods.

I'm shore there will be some more floodings before anything meaningfull will take place .

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you check a little history, you'll find that on two different occasions Thailand invited the Dutch to come in, do assessments, make recommendations, etc. The Dutch also gave warnings as to what could, and mostly likely would, happen in certain circumstances. Both times they were thanked, sent on their way, and their reports and recommendations tossed in the trash.

The ones to blame for this disaster is EVERY politician of EVERY political party for the past FIFTY+YEARS! It's been staring them all right in the face since the last major flood, but no one has bothered to do anything about it. Not enough in kickbacks and corruption more than likely. Yes, there was 160 million, or was it billion, water management project for BKK, but recently even that has been brought into question as to where the money went, and was actually done. Easy enough to answer. Money? = to private bank accounts. What was done? = Very dam_n little.

Until the "Need for Greed" is replaced by "Purpose for the People", nothing is going to change. A lot of talk, lots of promises, committees with no real authority will be set up, then forgotten about, and it's back to business as usual. Till the next time, and then it starts all over again.

Ahhhh, yes, Amazing Thailand.

Maybe the Dutch can also help with the beer shortage. Well, maybe they can introduce real beer. Not the stuff that tries to pass for beer and when sent to a laboratory for analysis comes back with the statement: "Your horse has diabetes".

The Duch did that already. HEINEKEN

We are living along the river. We get flooded year after year.

There is no time for much talking. If the waters remain high, we are in for a new drama next year.

The yearly use of sandbags as an anti-flooding policy in the north and in central Thailand; and the permanent disposal of garbage into the river, have been silting the waterways, next to the natural silt run-off from the north.

If rivers cannot run deep, they run wide.

The First Aid is to dredge the clogged rivers and canals. Get dredging companies, make contracts and start immediately. Next year could be worse.

All other plans will come too late.

already too late. this would require a logical analytical managed approach oh wait we are talking about Thai methods which start with how much am i going to gain personally. leopards don't change their spots

Would a Dutch super dyke system be able to handle the amount of water Thailand had this year?

I am not so sure!

http://www.nytimes.c...-the-flood.html

Even today Holland and Germany rely on 8 super dams in Switzerland to catch water and prevent flooding to their countries.

Also Thailand is not as flat as Holland so such super dykes would probably have to run through the centre of Bangkok.

Edit: Also Holland does not have a wall stopping the flow of water to the sea.

Edited by monkfish

Hope the Dutch know that Thai water is different from the rest of the world.

Like Thai electricity which needs no grounding, Thai water sometimes flows uphill and exhibits odd behaviour at the sight of money.

If only those big bags were stuffed with money instead of sand, the floodwaters would have evaporated in to thin air overnight. :rolleyes:

It is very clear to me that a lot of posters on this forum have a very low opinion of Thailand and the Thai people and culture. It's amazing how some of you can put a negative spin on everything that Thailand tries to do.

That once again begs the question as to why some of you are living here. Do you feel superior among the Thais of whom you have a low opinion? Or is it because you can't make a living in your own country or can't afford to retire in your own country?

Serious question in the time of such crisis in Thailand, which will have very far reaching economic and social consequences. It may be time to get out of Thailand.

Hope the Dutch know that Thai water is different from the rest of the world.

Like Thai electricity which needs no grounding, Thai water sometimes flows uphill and exhibits odd behaviour at the sight of money.

If only those big bags were stuffed with money instead of sand, the floodwaters would have evaporated in to thin air overnight. :rolleyes:

Not only does Thai water flow up hill but so does English, American, German and even Dutch.

Two requirements are however needed

1) Water start point has be higher than the destination.

2) The water should be contained in some sort of tube object such as a pipe.

Gravity takes care of the rest.

It is very clear to me that a lot of posters on this forum have a very low opinion of Thailand and the Thai people and culture. It's amazing how some of you can put a negative spin on everything that Thailand tries to do.

That once again begs the question as to why some of you are living here. Do you feel superior among the Thais of whom you have a low opinion? Or is it because you can't make a living in your own country or can't afford to retire in your own country?

Serious question in the time of such crisis in Thailand, which will have very far reaching economic and social consequences. It may be time to get out of Thailand.

I think you are taking much to seriously what most of us consider "tongue in cheek humor" in regards to the Thai. That, or you've never lived here for any length of time. Perhaps not all of us, but the majority of us live here because we actually do love the country and the people. However, we also know the Thai people and their attitudes towards many things. Such as:

A - Thai consider themselves superior to all others, regardless of who the others are.

B - Thai are ALWAYS right and foreigners (farang) are ALWAYS wrong, no matter what.

C - It is exceedingly rare for a Thai to take responsibility for ANYTHING that goes wrong, no matter what. From the most simple of things to the most serious.

D - The overwhelming majority of Thai are not taught to think about the future with any sense of reality. The only thing that matters is today. They'll worry about tomorrow if and when it get's here.

E - Graft and corruption are considered okay by the majority of Thai, as long as they are not the ones being screwed, and are the ones benefiting from it, or as long as it doesn't effect them personally.

These are the REALITIES of Thailand that those of us who live here deal with on a daily basis. We accept them for what they are, and while we often joke about them, it does not detract from our love of this country or the people in general.

Edited by Just1Voice

There is no time for much talking. If the waters remain high, we are in for a new drama next year.

The yearly use of sandbags as an anti-flooding policy in the north and in central Thailand; and the permanent disposal of garbage into the river, have been silting the waterways, next to the natural silt run-off from the north.

The First Aid is to dredge the clogged rivers and canals. Get dredging companies, make contracts and start immediately. Next year could be worse.

Your first post since joining in 2008 and you are spot on.

You know, I have ask myself everyday <deleted> I live here. I do have a very low opinion of Thai people IN GENERAL.

I have a low opinion of any Thai government institution.

I have a low opinion of any Thai run business here.

I have a low opinion of the people around us who don't give a flying f*** about anything.

Then, I remember why I live here. I look at my wife and I know why. I look at my parents in law and I know why.

I look out the window of our office and I know why.

What I also know is that this disaster will CHANGE NOTHING in this country.

So, we just have to prepare as well as we can for the next one.

I can tell you we will be prepared.

I do not feel superior to people here, I just feel sorry for them.

I left a nice job in Holland to live here and I am not even close to retiring.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

Social conditions in Thailand ??? <deleted>! (read excuse for bribery or saving face because farang water expert knows more than thai politician)

The Dutch offer to sort out the water problems and these morons come out with this bs. Maybe the Thai government doesn't understand water management which has its specifics that play a far more significant role than "social conditions" such as a rivers and klongs having limited capacities and when these are exceeded lives are lost and industries ruined.

Spot on. After reading just the first paragraph of the article, it was clear that people here are not interested unless there are big kickbacks to be made. The Dutch are one of the least corrupt in the world, they don't know how to deal with that here.

"FY, we are Thai, we do not listen to foreigners, especially if you know what you are talking about."

Correct together with Switzerland we are on the top on non corrupt countries. But i am sure the Dutch help will also mean that Dutch companies help and that would mean income for our country.

mmmm ... pls dont misunderstand my motives, I am not anti-Dutch or anti-Swiss, but...... i think you might be passing opinion on NL and CH corruption based on the Laws passed in those countries. Each country has its own legal framework for 'what is' or 'what is not ' a corrupt practice. There is no universal standard. However, I do support your comments overall.

There must be some water experts here but it is doubtful they are the most expert in the world in that particular field. However they will be sure to have 'local knowledge' which would be necessary and useful to interlace with any solution. it is doubtful that any Thai can set aside his ego to work alongside the, (to their mind), inferior foreigner and actually give any value to the knowledge the more savvy foreigner might be willing to share. Xenophobia in this country holds it back dramatically. Unfortunately Thais do not appreciate how scant their real understanding and knowledge is in so many areas. (How can they understand properly until they experience and learn deeply rather than just learn and copy solutions without sufficient deep and real understanding of the underlying principles). Unfortunately Thais, on the whole, learn rather shallowly and since this is all they experience, cannot begin to understand the whole picture. Hence the whole way business and the country is run is rather immature, concentrating more on personal gain (financial and egocentric) rather than benefit to the whole.

Any water management plan has to be comprehensive and must of course consider all aspects including the effect on local bio-systems and the full ramifications of any solution. Social implications might include the effect on local farmers or communities which might lose a water supply or get in the way of the proposed route of some new watercourse. Obviously any plan has to consider those issues but in any advanced society there is an understanding of the greater good and it is certain any competent expert will be well aware of most of those issues and if not local would be open to learn the intricacies of the problems here in order to integrate them with the solution..

Will anything concrete be done about this problem? Thailand should expect a thorough and competent examination of the issues and a well thought out effective solution dealing with the expected worst case scenario together with a solid disaster plan should the actual worst case exceed the expected. I don't think the mentality of the people in power will provide that. It involves planning and a long term view - neither of which seem to be particular strong points of the average Thai psyche - come to that even the above average have difficulty. Worse than that would be using the flooding as a mask or excuse for usurping the national funds by kickbacks from the contracts that will inevitably be borne of the solutions that will be picked on the basis of graft rather than effectiveness.

The Dutch obviously want to get in to get the contracts before other countries but will it be the best solution for the country or the solution that provides the most kickbacks that become adopted?

I feel so sad for Thailand struggling with out of control corruption everywhere and scant effort to even bring it under control let alone reduce it. So sad.

Your point is well taken. Thailand needs to get serious about fighting corruption, or it's glory days are behind it. Most other countries in the region are making a serious effort to fight corruption (good examples being the chinese developer who was sentenced to death last week) with real anti corruption committees in Malaysia arresting officials weekly, and bringing them to justice, anti-corruption activists like Anna Haraze in India, major battles against corruption in Indonesia, and other efforts being made throughout the region. Thailand is left way behind in all of this, as they do not even have an anti-corruption committee, to any real degree. The fight never started. Zero effort is being made. The Thai government has not even had the courage to admit how much of a problem all the corruption causes. So, the battle against the flooding is going to have to wait. Perhaps many, many years of this kind of tragedy, before they push aside the robber barons, and greedmeisters, who helped all this to happen.

your reference to the Chinese developer sentenced for corruption,,,, maybe true, or, maybe he wasn't prepared or able to pay the appropriate bribe to the Chinese judiciary. The 'going rate' has gone up in advance of Chinese inflation.

You know, I have ask myself everyday <deleted> I live here. I do have a very low opinion of Thai people IN GENERAL.

I have a low opinion of the people around us who don't give a flying f*** about anything.

Then, I remember why I live here. I look at my wife and I know why. I look at my parents in law and I know why.

I could not have better expressed it.

+1

mmmm ... pls dont misunderstand my motives, I am not anti-Dutch or anti-Swiss, but...... i think you might be passing opinion on NL and CH corruption based on the Laws passed in those countries. Each country has its own legal framework for 'what is' or 'what is not ' a corrupt practice. There is no universal standard. However, I do support your comments overall.

I don't think Rob misunderstood your motives.

I am not sure if you saw this, but Transparency International has recently list NL and CH as least corrupt.

Least corrupt does not mean NOT corrupt at all.

The only instance I can remember of serious corruption in Holland was the Parliamentary Investigation into price fixing and inflated costs for public works. This involved millions.

On a day to day basis, I have never in my years in Holland run into corruption.

Cowardice and appeasement, yes, but that is another discussion. CH I know nothing about.

I don't think Rob misunderstood your motives.

I am not sure if you saw this, but Transparency International has recently list NL and CH as least corrupt.

Least corrupt does not mean NOT corrupt at all.

The only instance I can remember of serious corruption in Holland was the Parliamentary Investigation into price fixing and inflated costs for public works. This involved millions.

On a day to day basis, I have never in my years in Holland run into corruption.

Cowardice and appeasement, yes, but that is another discussion. CH I know nothing about.

Thanks Evil and yes i was referring to those lists. The Dutch might have been cowardice a times. I am no patriot or flag waver so i don't really care. If someone says something bad about the Netherlands and its true why would i deny it.

Your posting makes for interesting reading. Granted many postings are negative about Thailand while yours I cannot say is anything positive because you do not list anything of positive nature.

Presumably your positives are:

• Let's start with one of the biggest, the Jump Jet Carrier with the Jump Jets sooo out of date they cannot fly anymore.
  • The out of date Fighter Jets originally from East Germany thrown on the scrapheap when Germany became one again.
  • Big Face talk for Malaysia's sake about buying Diesel/Electric Submarines, also from the scrapheap.
  • Siemens 3-car Skytrain adding one more car for which the 3-car system electric motors and brakes - was not designed but the Chinese who wanted to sell Bombardier Skytrains said famous last word "It will work" Who cares, it's your problem, which it now is.
  • Shytrain station platforms designed for two 3-car trains coupled together now with 4-car trains I guess people in the two end cars will have to crawl through the end car to get out the doors of the car next to it. Or just forget coupling two trains together during Peak Hours.
  • Maybe your positive is the Thai Electricity which does not need grounding.
  • To make electric equipment change you open the breaker of the unit(s) online throwing the whole shebang of factories in the dark with all machinery stopping. I did not teach Thais to do it that way.
    7 that's a number the Thais like so I will stop at 7 showing anymore positives will not make any difference anyhow.
    You know from searching the Forums it is obvious that Thailand is finally coming to the realization that for years it has been attracting and absorbing a lot of undesirables from the world. Health undesirables I refer to. How Thai medical is going to deal with this overflow for which it never had programmed, facilities and money wise, will be interesting to observe.
    As for living in Thailand, I can live in a home the same as in Thailand on a golf course in France for 1/3 of what I did pay in Thailand for the home. By living in Thailand on the golf course 5,000 Baht a month maintenance Fee I provide employment, that Thais are lazy / unwilling to work turns in to Cambodians being illegal brought in to Thailand to do the work that is available for Thais.
    On the other end of the spectrum there are the farang Khoa San Road Backpackers who work for a song and a dance and free food taking jobs Thais should do.
    Some people regard all this as negatives other people regard them as positives, all depend were you went to school, if you did go to school.
    You want me to leave, no problem, have your bank put 15 million Baht together and I will bring the Property Deeds and will leave you the furniture.

Edited by swerver

No need to fret, as many are in the same boat, which I would apply to most of the negative posters here on TV.

If you are a pragmatic westerner, the dream of living in a tropical paradise with friendly, smiling natives and low cost of living can very quickly turn into a living hell once you start peeling back the layers. Either you accept things that you cannot change -or- whinge about anything that attacks your sensibilities as going against the grain of simple common sense.

I used to just chuckle and wag my head when I ran across things in Thailand that made me wonder if the Thai authorities were dealing with a full deck, now I don't wonder anymore. Sadly, it appears the rest of the world is going the same way as Thailand. A huge Cluster F_uck just waiting for someone to light the fuse.

I normally don't complain about Thai tomfoolery, but the "can not understand Thailand" in this specific case given the current conditions is particularly, hilariously egregious. It seems that the only people who don't understand Thailand well enough to prevent flooding are the Thai politicians themselves.

I like your signature.

You could have added the difference between "its" and "it's" and between "lose" and "loose".

Would a Dutch super dyke system be able to handle the amount of water Thailand had this year?

I am not so sure!

http://www.nytimes.c...-the-flood.html

Even today Holland and Germany rely on 8 super dams in Switzerland to catch water and prevent flooding to their countries.

Also Thailand is not as flat as Holland so such super dykes would probably have to run through the centre of Bangkok.

Edit: Also Holland does not have a wall stopping the flow of water to the sea.

Dear Monkfish, during the floods of 1995 in the Netherlands the River was carrying 12,000 cubic meters per second. Bangkok is now flooding because the Chao Phraya is carrying a measily 4000 cubic meters per second. So yes a super Dutch dyke system would have been able to handle 3 times the volume of water that hit Thailand.

W

I am no patriot or flag waver so i don't really care. If someone says something bad about the Netherlands and its true why would i deny it.

Which is in stark contrast to Thailand.

If you say something bad about Thailand to most Thai, and it is true, they will probably fly into a rage and deny it.

Why? Well, they lost face, of course. :rolleyes:

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

Already during the flooding in the south the Dutch Ambassador offered Dutch help and knowledge to the former Thai government, as specially to mister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Never heard anything about it anymore. I really hope this time the Government is more willing to except this offer.

But the reaction of mister Anond Snidwong gives me little hope.

I like to remind some members here the Dutch also have helped the US after the terrible hurricane flood in New Orleans.

A Dutch embassy spokesman stated in an interview with channel 99 Thai TV on the 6th of this month I think it was, that the Dutch had been helping Thailand with flood management for some years already, and were consulting with Thailand on this flood, this can be checked by phoning the TV station or the Dutch embassy.

I am sorry if this comes as a shock to you.

I normally don't complain about Thai tomfoolery, but the "can not understand Thailand" in this specific case given the current conditions is particularly, hilariously egregious. It seems that the only people who don't understand Thailand well enough to prevent flooding are the Thai politicians themselves.

No one could have prevented this flood, no politicians of any country, they can not control the weather, every flood in every country can be handled better. saw on CNN last night that the Thai PM has a 75% approval rating with the Thai people on her handling of the floods, and that her government could not have handled the floods any better. that is the report on CNN not me. she only has to please the Thai people not Farangs.

I suspect from the abbreviated grammar of your post that English may not be your first language - if not you must be awesome in your first language because you summed it up to a Tee. "If a river cannot run deep it runs wide" poetic to say the least & oh so true. Maintain the water ways and they will operate at 100% efficiency. If that isn't enough enlarge them - its not rocket science. Maintenance is not fixing it after if breaks - its fixing it before it breaks, then the breakdown never happens..... think about it.

quote name='JoeLeTaxi' timestamp='1321335894' post='4848173']

:jap: I like this guy.