Suvarnabhumi Airport Director: Floods Scare Off Foreign Tourists

webfact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you say, consider Mexico, where the worst that happens to you is that you end up riddled with bullets, caught in the crossfire of a devastating drug war. The first time that I went to Mexico (for a whopping 3 days) I was robbed - by the police - long story, but, either I hand over all my cash, or be hauled to jail for cocaine posession - cocaine which I didn't posess, the police did.....

So, I wonder if the Royal Thai Police learned that trick from the Mexican Federalis or vice versa. :whistling:

When I look back at when I was just a tourist considering my first visit to Thailand, I realize that your average first time or even repeat tourist probably doesn't care much about any of the local problems (cultural or otherwise).

I came here, and before I could even leave the airport, I was scammed by the approximate 100 USD BMW 7-series 'taxi'. You know, I should have been more cautious, but it didn't matter to me because I had money and it was 'part of the experience' of going to a third world country.

Now that I live here, I hate this aspect of the culture, but I doubt average tourists will be affected by this unless their safety is threatened in large enough numbers and, most importantly, unless major traditional and new media outlets report on it.

I mean, people from the US STILL goto Mexican resorts in fairly high numbers even with their civil drug war affecting much of that nation.

So, sadly, Thailand will probably not change much because the equation is not much affected by the many unscrupulous people here who prey on foreign tourists ...

I live here too and, although the Thai mentality is frustrating and annoying, Thailand is still a relatively ideal vacation spot. If the worst that happens to you is you pay $100 for a taxi ride in a BMW 7-series, then things aren't so bad. (May not have even been a ripoff. How far was the ride? Bear in mind, that car probably costs $100k+ in Thailand, gotta recoup serious capital cost). I've lived in Thailand for roughly 3 years, and never been ripped off a single time - it is surpising, actually, but Thais rarely 'double price'. Yes, there are exceptions - the jetskis are a major 'avoid'.

Like you say, consider Mexico, where the worst that happens to you is that you end up riddled with bullets, caught in the crossfire of a devastating drug war. The first time that I went to Mexico (for a whopping 3 days) I was robbed - by the police - long story, but, either I hand over all my cash, or be hauled to jail for cocaine posession - cocaine which I didn't posess, the police did.....

That said, Mexican tourism IS suffering. Check out Rocky Point - once a major destination for weekend travellers from Phoenix area. Now dead. Completely. (although new passport requirement, and collapsed Phoenix economy, are equally strong contributors).

$100,000+ for a 7 series beemer? Guy I know paid 15 million baht for his M6, which at the time was $469,000.

http://www.one2car.com/search/Search_Result.aspx?Body=D2025&Brand=B0006&Model=S0634 ---------- 250 K for a basic 1 yer old 7 series, so 100 $ ride is ok, like travelling a maybach or a super limo in uk or usa

As usual the press is misleading the public and tourists, the only pictures you see in the australian press is flooded don maung airport, no mention of swampy being ok. I came thru swampy sunday night, couldn't park in the short term parking at midnight but parked next door. I imagine peak time would be murder as the roads are congested.

The majority of posters on this thread would frighten off any number of tourist. I have been in Thailand over two weeks now and the only flooding I have seen is the inland ocean at 30,000ft on my way to Chiang mai. Really a few of you should give it a rest, most tourist who come to Thailand will never see any flooding unless they intentionally go looking for it.

Jeez, if you saw an "inland ocean" in the last 2 weeks while flying at 30,000 feet on the way to Chiang Mai, that means there's still an awful lot of water to come down? No?B)

Went through Suvarnabhumi this morning about 7am.

Seriously quiet.

My taxi driver showed me his entry chit stamped at 0130. He had waited for 6 odd hours for a fare.

So much for the ascertain that 100,000 people are still arriving at Swampy every day.

Same old trick to get sympathy tips. I have seen that many times before.

Average 100,000 passenger per day???

That is 36.5 million/year, but assuming he is both counting arriving and departuring passenger, it is really 18 million visitors/years.

Still far more than TAT 15 million and that include CM, Phuket and border crossings. What is not adding up?

1. Yes, he talks about arrivals and departures combined.

2. November is the beginning of the high season.

So when he compares to normal - that means the high season numbers.

3. Suvarnabhumi handles the domestic flights as well (instead of Don-Muang), so this might be included.

4. The expected number of tourists for 2011 was 18-19 million

Hi, I have just had a text from ThaiVisa. If you are going to Suwarnabhumi today, there may be many trying to remove their

parked cars from the bridges nearby. They will be getting towed soon but I think not for a week.

Have a good journey.

Does anyone know if parking is still a problem at Suvarnabhumi? I am due to go there later today.

Thanks

Driving around Bangkok this morning in the Don Muang Airport area and noticed that cars,buses,trucks etc are starting to be towed away from the bridges in that area....:angry:

I could not help notice when they continue to push for tourists to come to Thailand saying many other areas are unaffected. Well that is true,i live koh phangan and so far the flood situation is not affecting, Other than out of Singha, prices increasing on rice,vegetables etc. We were not mentioned in the article but Koh Samui which is 35 minutes boat ride WAS!. Pushing the fact that it's "HIGH SEASON" well for those who are thinking Oh let's go to Samui they say that's clear,Well bring a rain coat just in case!! When they mention these areas to visit,should they not remind them that we are in Monsoon down here!! It came late down here,even starting to think that maybe the POOR north got all ours,but rain,heavy bursts at times are now showing.It is the Thai and even western bar restaurant owners who call the High Season period the build up to Xmas,what they are talking about is it's Xmas,you want a holiday come spend your money here!! What they!! and all the travel books do not include is that the south of Thailand (The South Gulf) comes out of monsoon middle of December,this could now go to very late as it came late. They often refer to Thailand as Dry,Wet and Monsoon seasons,well like most countries that experience 4 seasons,Thailand is no exception,there should be included 2x Wet seasons. Down here we do not just come out of Monsoon and then pile on the sun cream,it can break yes,but also heavy rain can be about late into December. I remember clearly 2 years ago that the sun had returned by middle of December,but by 24th December we had nothing but heavy rain,and temperatures had fallen to me having to wear a long sleeve jumper. I checked forecast and Phuket,not anywhere near a favorite of mine,but showing clear blue skies. I jumped in the car leaving many unhappy holiday makers moaning where the sun is. For 5 nights and days on Phuket not a cloud in sight (Yes correct for West of here) they are compleatly opposite to our weather pattern . This has happened many times during my 8 years living here,still as i speak tourists showing up down here and moaning where is the sun,and comments "Why is it raining"? When informing them that Koh phangan is Monsoon season,they look in disbelieve.No it's not they say!! It's HIGH SEASON!! the BOOK says so unsure.gif Really it about time that somewhere,so how,some travel book should point out that for not such a big country,there is one hell of a weird weather pattern.

I could not help notice when they continue to push for tourists to come to Thailand saying many other areas are unaffected. Well that is true,i live koh phangan and so far the flood situation is not affecting, Other than out of Singha, prices increasing on rice,vegetables etc. We were not mentioned in the article but Koh Samui which is 35 minutes boat ride WAS!. Pushing the fact that it's "HIGH SEASON" well for those who are thinking Oh let's go to Samui they say that's clear,Well bring a rain coat just in case!! When they mention these areas to visit,should they not remind them that we are in Monsoon down here!! It came late down here,even starting to think that maybe the POOR north got all ours,but rain,heavy bursts at times are now showing.It is the Thai and even western bar restaurant owners who call the High Season period the build up to Xmas,what they are talking about is it's Xmas,you want a holiday come spend your money here!! What they!! and all the travel books do not include is that the south of Thailand (The South Gulf) comes out of monsoon middle of December,this could now go to very late as it came late. They often refer to Thailand as Dry,Wet and Monsoon seasons,well like most countries that experience 4 seasons,Thailand is no exception,there should be included 2x Wet seasons. Down here we do not just come out of Monsoon and then pile on the sun cream,it can break yes,but also heavy rain can be about late into December. I remember clearly 2 years ago that the sun had returned by middle of December,but by 24th December we had nothing but heavy rain,and temperatures had fallen to me having to wear a long sleeve jumper. I checked forecast and Phuket,not anywhere near a favorite of mine,but showing clear blue skies. I jumped in the car leaving many unhappy holiday makers moaning where the sun is. For 5 nights and days on Phuket not a cloud in sight (Yes correct for West of here) they are compleatly opposite to our weather pattern . This has happened many times during my 8 years living here,still as i speak tourists showing up down here and moaning where is the sun,and comments "Why is it raining"? When informing them that Koh phangan is Monsoon season,they look in disbelieve.No it's not they say!! It's HIGH SEASON!! the BOOK says so unsure.gif Really it about time that somewhere,so how,some travel book should point out that for not such a big country,there is one hell of a weird weather pattern.

On a rainy day you should read: http://www.wvlln.ac.uk/uploads/whyuseparagraphs.pdf

On a rainy day you should read: http://www.wvlln.ac....eparagraphs.pdf

Well i am very sorry if you can not read at your age? Got your glasses ON!!

Why are you wasting your time on here,or sitting in some bar full of thai girls when surely you could be teaching English in UNI!!

With all the tragedy going on,and you go on about how to PARAGRAPH !! Seriously get a LIFE.... you sad pathetic waste of space