The Passport Law...Does It Exist?

CMHomeboy78

I started this topic on the Chiang Mai forum but was unable to get an answer as to whether or not there is a law saying that foreigners must carry their passports at all times.

Since the late 90's there have been periodic announcements from Immigration implying there is.

Does anyone know for certain?

and so start TV thread number 569483 on the pp issue...

There is nothing in the law which requires you to carry your passport at all times, however it would be advisible that you have some form of offical identification in Thailand if an official asks

• Like 2

The concencus in the past seems to be that a passport must be produced in a rreasonable time and you may be detained until it has been. The New Zealand Government travel advisory for Thailand indicates a New Zealand Drivers licence would be acceptible.

There are several old topics on this. People in Thailand are required to carry an ID, that includes foreigners. For foreigners there is an extra reason, as immigration has the power to detain you till they can determine that you are not staying illgellly in the country.

There are several old topics on this. People in Thailand are required to carry an ID, that includes foreigners. For foreigners there is an extra reason, as immigration has the power to detain you till they can determine that you are not staying illgellly in the country.

That's it in a nutshell, though there is some ambiguity whether a DL (particularly foreign issued) in lieu of PP is acceptable. My guess is that a DL is okay for all purposes unless you are detained by immigration squad in which case you would need to produce your PP in reasonable time.

Wot they all said above.

Even if you have a Thai driving licence, carrying copies of your passport, visa, arrival card, and extension stamp is never a bad idea. Many of us, I think, do that as well. You can copy them back-to-back and cut them out so that they don't take up much space.

Very few, if any, carry their real passport around at all times, for obvious reasons.

Edited by JSixpack

A Thai driving licence has your photo, passport number, and address on it. That is more than adequate for I.D.

Have used it many times when checking into hotels, and never had a problem.

My Thai drivers license doesn't have my passport number.

It was issued more than 20 years ago and it's a lifetime drivers license, which is no longer available in Thailand.

I guess including passport number is a 'recent' addition. It does have a photo, when I was a puppy.

The "modern" licence definitely has your passport number on it.It is just below your name and date of birth. So, for most purposes .I suspect negates the need to carry any Passport details with you, except if Immigration "want" you, then your real passport would be required.

The "modern" licence definitely has your passport number on it.It is just below your name and date of birth. So, for most purposes .I suspect negates the need to carry any Passport details with you, except if Immigration "want" you, then your real passport would be required.

My "modern licence" does not have my passport number; it has the number of my yellow House Book. However, it still serves the same purpose as an ID when collecting mail, for example.

I have indisputable proof that the Thai Passport Law exists.

Below is a photograph of the Thai Passport Law in the wild, roaming freely across the frozen wastelands of Chiang Mai.

pptLaw.jpg

Now that's settled, does anyone have a photograph of an honest Thai politician they'd care to show?

• Like 1

The UK FO advise UK expats in Thailand, not to send their passport when applying by post for renewal of a passport. As they know it can cause problems with officials in Thailand if your are asked to produce your passport.

Not carrying could lead to a night or 2 behind bars untill someone can produce your passport.

• 1 year later...

That's it in a nutshell, though there is some ambiguity whether a DL (particularly foreign issued) in lieu of PP is acceptable. My guess is that a DL is okay for all purposes unless you are detained by immigration squad in which case you would need to produce your PP in reasonable time.

Or detained by the BiB doing their checks around town. Quick money for them. It's rare, but it happens.

I just carry my Thai DL. But l have photo copy of passport in the motor, just in case. smile.png

Ditto, & I carry copies of current extension of stay and passport details in the car and mc.

The photocopy place next to the immigration office here in Jomtien make a copy of your passport and visa, then laminate it. For 40B or so.

I just carry my Thai DL. But l have photo copy of passport in the motor, just in case. smile.png

i do the same . one time the police asked me for my passport and shown him a copy of it with my 12 retirement visa . he was ok with this