Kanchanaburi Mission Hills Or Evergreen Hills

JAS21

Guys..we are off today to Kanchanaburi today and looking to fit in a stay and play. We have been quoted almost the same price for either place....any views on which place is best...has anyone played either course recently....thanks

Played Evergreen last Saturday (12 Nov), very quiet for weekend. Did not stay, as hotel in Kan.

Course in nice condition and generally an easy track, well from the white forward tee's!!.

Much easier to play than Blue Sapphire which we did a few days before.

Thanks to both of you..I had already read those on TG..........one is this May and one last year. Have already booked Evergreen 800Baht Green Fee each and 1200Baht for the room and breakfast. Had a bit of a struggle but kept quoting their web site and eventually got it at that price (probably due to my wife helping out). Mission Hills slightly cheaper so guess will try there the day after....I'll give an update

Thanks to both of you..I had already read those on TG..........one is this May and one last year. Have already booked Evergreen 800Baht Green Fee each and 1200Baht for the room and breakfast. Had a bit of a struggle but kept quoting their web site and eventually got it at that price (probably due to my wife helping out). Mission Hills slightly cheaper so guess will try there the day after....I'll give an update

Like to see an update from you, those reviews on Thaigolfer are mostly very old. Almost nobody seems to give their opinions anymore.

Like to see an update from you, those reviews on Thaigolfer are mostly very old. Almost nobody seems to give their opinions anymore.

So we turned up at Evergreen Hills about 11am for what I thought was just a Stay and Play, however they gave us a Green Fee each for that day and a Green Fee each for the following day and charged us a total of 2600Baht including the room and breakfast...is that some value or what.

We went straight to our room which was quite large, very clean and would be described as about three stars...more than adequate... then off to play.

The course was in really good condition with no rubbish lying around, the greens were in excellent condition although they were not all the same speed .. fast and more fast! The reason given by the caddies was that some extra top soil had been added to some greens, I guess to raise them up a bit. Interesting to note that at each hole was a list of the caddie numbers who were responsible for tidying and weeding that hole...maybe that is why the course looked so good.

I was happy with my caddie..she didn’t say anything unless I asked..Unfortunately she also didn’t tell me that there was water at the side of one green...which was not visible from the fairway, we keep the same caddies for both days.

On the first day we caught up with a group of five at hole seven, but they let us through after nine fortunately, as they were gambling. We had a guy playing with us who we bumped into at the reception so weren’t held up a huge amount.

That evening we ate in the clubhouse restaurant. The meals were good sized portions, very impressed with the taste and we were only charged 285Baht and that included a large bottle of coke which was only 35Baht!

We started our second round at about 6:30am the next day, it was lovely and cool at that time. As the course is a bit short from the Whites, that day my wife played Whites and I played Blues. I found it much more enjoyable from those tees and we didn’t see anyone else on the course for the first nine.

After nine holes we stopped for breakfast as we had arranged that the previous evening. By the way breakfast finishes at 9am. As it was then warming up we took a buggy for the second nine, just 300Baht and you can take it anywhere except on the greens.

So to sum up ... excellent value for money, really pleasant smiling and helpful staff throughout the whole resort coupled with a very well maintained course. I forgot to mention, a very large swimming pool which we put to good use on the first evening.

Next week we have to go again to Kanchanaburi for another family thing (someone is going to be a monk) however we have already booked a stay and play at Evergreen Hills before we have to do our duty. Anyway we are going to have a few extra days there, especially as its The River Kwai Bridge Festival of Light and Sound and have arranged to stay at the Felix, we just love that hotel.

Talking Hotel prices the Dheva Mantra are offering a Flood Special, finishes on the 28th, for 1800Baht/night inc breakfast! (min 5 days stay) We looked there earlier today as have often considered staying but it’s normally a bit pricy. It’s five stars and can only be 2-3 years old, but it was like a ghost town today and they said that they are not even doing a buffet breakfast.

Now Mission Hills, I was again told that it’s not that good there at present, so we decided to give it a miss. I recall going to look at that course, with a view to joining in about 2003 and it did look good then.

Now as regards dual pricing at Evergreen Hills, I understand that it can happen, but it didn’t happen to me.

ps...I'm going to play a few holes off the Blacks next time...providing no other golfers are watching...just incase I slice it!

Excellent report John. ThaiGolf should employ you to report on all courses throughout Thailand. . . BTW, does it really matter that the caddy did not tell you about the water hazard beside the green ? You would have found it anyway . . .laugh.gif

Excellent report John. ThaiGolf should employ you to report on all courses throughout Thailand. . . BTW, does it really matter that the caddy did not tell you about the water hazard beside the green ? You would have found it anyway . . .laugh.gif

Len....I did find it...I was pretty unlucky though, if the ball hadn't hit a tree first it wouldn't have gone into the water just straight into the bushes :( You missing Thailand then?

Evergreen Hills is a good course and resort, if a little out of the way. The guy we played with was using taxis to go from course to course, a different one every day. He did have a nice young lady from Surin with him thought...guess it helped with directions and ensured that he never got bored :whistling:

Edited by JAS21

Very good report, hope you add it in thaigolfer.com reviews too.

Yes...I'll add in TG later.

We have just got back from a week at Kanchanaburi. On the way up we called in at Mission Hills, from what we could see the course looked nicely cut, the accommodation and pool OK. So we booked a stay, for later in the week, through Bangkok as knew that way you get a better deal than walk in, cost 1200Baht. They don’t do a play and stay package. Then off to Evergreen Hills to play/stay/play for the same deal as before, 2600Baht.

We then went to the Felix Hotel for a few days. They enquired for us about playing Nichigo but were told that there was a group of one hundred staying at present ... so decided no way. They ended up booking Mida for us (previously called Lion Hills) for 1700Baht included green fees, caddy fees and one buggy. Incidentally that is where my wife learnt to play some ten years ago. Then it was called Green Garden.

The place does favour Korean groups, we were lucky in that the next group weren’t coming until the following week. It is just about one year since we last played there. What a change, the place is immaculate, the locker rooms would not be out of place in a five star hotel and even included a bottle of mouth wash solution and clean glass, at each wash basin. The clubhouse furniture was pretty plush. The course itself was in great condition with the greens looking good and nicely cut. Everyone there was very friendly. The curried fish that we had was fine.

So on the Sunday afternoon of last week we booked in at Mission Hills, the course looked disserted but there was no late afternoon nine hole offers, silly I thought, so we spent the time around the pool. The hotel was spotlessly clean and the staff couldn’t do enough to help. Unfortunately it was all a bit run down, but still quite nice. As an example the hardwood pool chairs were well bleached by the sun, it wouldn’t have taken many baht to renovate then.

While it was still light we ordered food from the restaurant and they delivered it to the hotel. We ate by the lake, very scenic and with a lovely cool breeze. post-17329-0-95167900-1322548257_thumb.j

Next day, following breakfast we played, they offered us, green fees, caddy fees and one buggy for 2300Baht. Now playing the first nine holes I couldn’t understand why I had received so many adverse comments. Fairways were nicely cut, bunkers had been dug and the greens in reasonable condition. It wasn’t until the second nine that I realised there hadn’t been a first cut ... just fairway and rough.

The second nine were in poor condition, fairways not cut for a while and greens had bare patches. The what was signature hole, the 17th, the sand in the long bunker was hard and full of stones, wood was falling off the bridge to the island green etc etc. what a pity.

I understand that the place started to get run down shortly after the owner went to the Phuket Mission Hills course. Some effort is now being made to renovate this course, but it’s not going to be a quick job.

So to sum up, worth staying in the hotel, food fine, nice view, pool, staff can’t do enough to help, play the first nine twice if you can. Could be a wonderful course again ... book the room through Bangkok it's cheaper. The price of a bottle of water bought on the course was exactly twice the price we paid for a bottle at Evergreen Hills ... again silly.