Import Duties- Madness!

boxergirl

Does anyone have any information source of an adviser to see about the crazy import duties the Thai Goverment charges when clothing and other textiles are sent into thailand? i just sent my staff some clothing from the UK worth £50 and was charged the equivalent of £60 in cutoms duty and VAT. I actually want to import some clothing and textiles from China but am too scared to do it because the Customs department wont tell us anything other than "we'll inspect the goods when they get here and tell you what you have to pay". I don't know where to go to find out some helpful advice. Thanks, Laura.

With regard to importing stuff from China (and some other ASEAN countries) isnt there a much lower rate of import duty, or is that all "smoke and mirrors" like the imported beers saga from near neighbours, like Laos, for example?

They (the Thais) come up with some other way of making the costs prohibitive?

Penkoprod

The system of importing for individuals and small businesses is deliberately designed to be non-viable in order to protect the interests of manufactures and businesses in Thailand and to ensure that the government receives their full quota of tax paid on all goods sold.

This pertains the world over.

I have heard stories where goods have actually been held to ransom by customs officials at the ports of Bangkok. In the end it`s just not worth the hassle.

thanks, finally getting to understand this now. Apparently as long as you fill in FORM E you can import clothing for 5% plus VAT from China. (UK is 60%). BUT you have to remember they put the courier charge on top of the cost of the good! problem i'm worried about is getting all the forms right because we all know what sticklers the thai officials can be for the rules! If u get a form even slightly wrong u can be in big trouble.

By the way footwear carries a 40% duty and labels 20%. All seams quite bizarre. Why 60% to bring stuff from UK??!!

Does anyone know of any advisers about this stuff to make sure it's all done correctly?

Or.... Go ahead and import from China, but make sure that the supplier issues FORM E and then you can clear duty free and VAT of 7% CIF value

Would need to know the exact type of clothes to check for sure but, most qualify for 0% under the ASEA/China FTA

I really think that UPS and FedEx are in bed with the Thai customs agents. The last time I ordered vitamins, they were shipped FedEx and the tax exceeded the cost of the vitamins.

If a vendor can't or won't ship via the regular air mail, I refuse to deal with them. Regular mail often gets through with no tax and when it is taxed, it is not a rip off.

I really think that UPS and FedEx are in bed with the Thai customs agents. The last time I ordered vitamins, they were shipped FedEx and the tax exceeded the cost of the vitamins.

If a vendor can't or won't ship via the regular air mail, I refuse to deal with them. Regular mail often gets through with no tax and when it is taxed, it is not a rip off.

Yes! It's a fact! If Fedex and UPS and other suxxers want to deliver parcels quickly they have to apply tax for customs.

I got stung this week with DVD's imported via DHL. I've had numerous other items sent to me over the past six years , including clothes that I have not paid any duty on. As someone has mentioned, DHL and Fedex are always problematic.

I have said this before in different ways and in different Posts.

Courier Companies are NOT interested in helping you, the consignee here in Thailand (or anywhere else for that matter); they have absolutely no incentive to discuss or dispute whatever Duty Charges the Thai Customs Department imposes - they simply pass all that on to you, their end Customer.

Why would they waste their time on trying to reduce these charges - they simply accept whatever is decided by the Customs Officer.

Patrick