Nearly Attacked By Local Dogs 2 Times, What Can I Do?

kitiya1980

That monster in your house....and I am not talking about the english one....learned to roll over like that because it gets nice things from you. On second thoughts it could also apply to the english one too.

If you carry a little bit of nice food in your pocket and stop and give it to the dog when you pass in a few days it will be rolling over when you come just like the one at home.

This is the trick postmen use un australia to stop dogs chasing their bikes.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Talk about making a drama out of a crisis!

So you've never actually been bitten but, realising that all dogs have rabies, spray pepper spray into their eyes if they get too close.

My advice given previously to those on bikes or motorbikes that find a dog/dogs chasing them- just STOP - works. Try it and see.

No drama in it all I can assure you, and seeing as we have established spraying a dog with pepper spray does no harm, no big deal...doggie goes away and if doggie is stupid enough to come back and try again, they will get sprayed again.

If you want to play dog whisperer up to you...I have my method, you have yours, but seing as you object to using pepper spray as a safe deterrent, I could always fall back on plan "B" and get a big stick out...thiat works as well...:whistling:

As I said before - I carry pepper/mace spray myself, but spray it IN FRONT of the dog rather than in their eyes.

If you think it does no harm, try spraying it in your own eyes....

Yeah but there is a difference Im sure Soutpeel doesnt go around biting people but I can see that some people FAIL miserably to understand this.

Don't ride your bloody bike past the dogs then. Dogs ALWAYS chase bicycles. The locals, having espied a likely run at you just for the hell of it dog/s, dismount and walk their bike past, remounting when coast clear.

Were they carrying machetes?

kin ridiculous answer, lets hope a dog bites u soon.

Many posts have been removed for advocating killing dogs by extremely unpleasant and painful methods.

If these are your thoughts, please keep them to yourselves, we do not want them published on Thai Visa.

And a bunch more and their replies removed.

I'm curious. Several people have suggested I should "take care" of these dogs in... well, lets say less than strictly legal ways, and the moderators have removed those posts for obvious reaons.

Has there be any disucssion of this type concerning the Crocodiles that are suspected to have escaped during the floods in the south around Bangkok, and if so did people here suggest similar measures to the ones that have been suggested here?

I realise it's not quite the same thing, Dogs vs Crocodiles, but nonetheless I'm still curious about how those disucssions (if any) went.

Dogs roaming free= irresponsible owners, crocodiles roaming free= irresponsible govt.

I wouldn't recommend ammonia because it would likely cause permanent damage to the eyes. The pepper spray option is the best. It causes temporary pain and the dog will recover. The dog will NOT forget you and will avoid you when it sees you.

Yes, I believe that those 3 dogs will not forget me that's why i am sitting here thinking about papaya salad in fresh market near where they are LOL sigh... cant live without papaya salad :) u know i love dogs but i more pissed off at the owner duh i'd like u guys to see her reaction when she had let the dog chasing me...she didnt do anything except calling the dog's name from the inside not even open the gate and follow her dog.

Edited by kitiya1980

I wouldn't recommend ammonia because it would likely cause permanent damage to the eyes. The pepper spray option is the best. It causes temporary pain and the dog will recover. The dog will NOT forget you and will avoid you when it sees you.

Yes, I believe that those 3 dogs will not forget me that's why i am sitting here thinking about papaya salad in fresh market near where they are LOL sigh... cant live without papaya salad :) u know i love dogs but i more pissed off at the owner duh i'd like u guys to see her reaction when she had let the dog chasing me...she didnt do anything except calling the dog's name from the inside not even open the gate and follow her dog.

Pepper spray the owner as well...:)

GOOD ADVICE! now i'm gonna bite u!

Agree totally, trouble is owners dont learn dogs do...........what does that tell you about owners?

Good grief! It happens to us all now and again, but all you have to do is STOP and look at the dog.

They were either playing (enjoying a chase) or looking for someone to bully. Once you stop they realise there is no 'fun' and/or you have not been bullied away - so they stop chasing.

I can't believe how many people out there think its a good excuse to spray something harmful in their eyes!

I carry pepper/mace spray when I walk my dogs as ONCE a dog owned by a Thai was determined to get at one of my dogs (didn't back down) and actually bit me. The next time I saw him (and he was after my dog again), I sprayed it IN FRONT OF HIM. Understandably, he didn't like the smell and ran away - with no harm done.

This is a woman on a bike vs a 50 kilo dog. One of 3 dogs at that. You want her to stop the bike, put it on its stand, get off the bike and stand in the middle of the road saying, 'Nice, doggy. Good doggy?'.

Obviously not.... just stop your bike without turning it off, and look back at them.

It has ALWAYS worked for me - they stop, look non-plussed for a few seconds and then saunter away.

OK (sigh) - admittedly I live on Phuket so do not have to worry about rabies.

After being bitten by a dog that looked like a golden retriever (owned by a Thai) that was only trying to make me back off so that he could get at my dog - I bought a pepper/mace spray.

Testing it at home (a short spray to see if it worked), a tiny amount came back onto mine and a friend's skin. It stung like crazy and we spent the next 5 mins washing it off. Which is why I would NEVER dream of spraying it into anything's eyes!

Which is why next time the same dog tried to get at mine, I sprayed it IN FRONT of him. He ran and has never bothered me again. AND wasn't hurt, just quickly took in the obnoxious substance and never wanted to encounter it again.