Nearly Attacked By Local Dogs 2 Times, What Can I Do?

kitiya1980

I was riding my bike to the local market, about five minutes away from my home, down along road that goes directly there. There is a house along this road where they keep three dogs. These dogs are hardly ever chained up, and the fence that borders the house is so low that it is easy for them to jump over and chase people.

At least one of these dogs has jumped out and leaped at me before when I have been riding past, which was very scary, I thought i was going to get bitten. It also happened again today, and it chased me (I was on my bike) all the way to the market before giving up, and many other people saw this also.

What should I do about this? the owners seemingly don't want to know, even when I tried to talk to them about it. Should I talk to the police about it?, what can I do?

Edited by kitiya1980

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dangerous or nuisance dogs

If dogs become a nuisance or are considered dangerous, complaints can be made to the local government office (Or Bor Tor orThesaban) or, in Bangkok to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's (BMA) Dog Control Department.

BMA Dog Control Department

Tel: 02 328 7460

Stop and stand up to the dog, facing it and looking down on it. Bend down as if to pick up a stone, it'll run away. Show the dog you're not afraid and that you're bigger and stronger than it. Don't turn your back. Don't show fear. The dog will only attack you if it thinks that you are weaker than it. Don't let it think that.

Owners, locals, police? They'll all think you're a crazy Farang who's scared of dogs.

Stop and stand up to the dog, facing it and looking down on it. Bend down as if to pick up a stone, it'll run away. Show the dog you're not afraid and that you're bigger and stronger than it. Don't turn your back. Don't show fear. The dog will only attack you if it thinks that you are weaker than it. Don't let it think that.

Owners, locals, police? They'll all think you're a crazy Farang who's scared of dogs.

Man....I am not a farang I'm a thai girl 31 year old. I am big but not that big and those 3 dogs tag-team! especially today when i was talking to the owner from outside about wot has happened to me yesterday (one of her dog attacked me) she acted like she doesnt care while i was talkin to her one dog jumped out of small wall and chased me..amazingly owner didnt stop it LOL my lord! i was lucky again as i reached market plenty of people so the dog stopped and walked back but still the owner didnt keep it inside but had let it on street waiting for me to come back! now wot to do? i discussed this to my uncle and he said "dogs didnt bite u yet so u can do nothing cant even report to police" woah ok then i replied ( ok then i will have to let them bite me 1st?) <deleted>

Dangerous or nuisance dogs

If dogs become a nuisance or are considered dangerous, complaints can be made to the local government office (Or Bor Tor orThesaban) or, in Bangkok to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's (BMA) Dog Control Department.

BMA Dog Control Department

Tel: 02 328 7460

Thanks a lot for ur advice but the problem is i am not in BKK i am in Udon Thani i tried google for that kind of org. in Udon Thani but didnt see any...then i rekon that my friend used to call up to Thesaban to come pick her dangerous dog (it bit a lot of ppl already) and i think its a good idea but i believe owner will try to keep those dogs inside that time? not on the street? i am not going to hurt them u know coz i know that i could never win..fight back? if only i could! such large dogs!

Pepper spray directly in the eyes at point blank range. They will never forget, failing that hold your ground stick your finger out and say TsssssssT,.. this is a last resort maneuver only

good luck.

I have exactly the same kind of problem as the OP and curiously this black dog only seems to be interested in me

on a bicycle? Why do they not chase motorbikes and only go for bicycles?

I love dogs but I am determined I am not going to be bitten.

Where can I buy some of this paper spray?

Edited by khaan

How big are the dogs ?

Confronting a rottweiler may not be the smartest thing to do.

Unless it's small thai dogs that are easily scared, I would probably follow phaethon's advise.

How big? around 50-60 kg? something like that a lot of ppl got bitten by them! but u know local people? 5,000/10,000 and then shut up? sorry not me..even if they offered to pay 100,000 baht i'd say NO! u know there's 1 man in my village got bitten by large dog he lost his left ear haha that owner had to pay 100,000 baht! sigh i'm so desperated OK i reported this to the president of village lets see what will happen.

Pepper spray directly in the eyes at point blank range. They will never forget, failing that hold your ground stick your finger out and say TsssssssT,.. this is a last resort maneuver only

good luck.

I have exactly the same kind of problem as the OP and curiously this black dog only seems to be interested in me

on a bicycle? Why do they not chase motorbikes and only go for bicycles?

I love dogs but I am determined I am not going to be bitten.

Where can I buy some of this paper spray?

OK i was trying to figure out why must be me? yes i only know how to ride bicycle and of course those dogs also attacked motorbike too! i hate it when ppl made fun of me that dogs seem to interested in me cause i am such a pretty lady and it got jealous...sorry this isnt funny cause from now on i cant go to that market argh feel so mad oops or another reason coz i got rotty dog and those dogs could smell...my legs...trying to protect their territory. me shrug.

good luck.

I think that's good idea! Thanks ka.

Carry a small water gun filled with ammonia. Aim at their eyes.

Yes, I was thinking the same...how about BB gun? LOL ok so we cant do anything to the owner? i meant i am now trying to find the way if i could report this to the authority i want to make a phone call to them u know i got a lot of people who support me cause they're sick of these dogs too.

good luck.

dont do the Tsssst thing that was a joke (dog whisperer):D

good luck.

dont do the Tsssst thing that was a joke (dog whisperer):D

OK ka I mai pai that area anymore -_-

Its the owner thats the problem......

My in-laws are always complaining about their dog chasing motorbikes, bicycles etc down the soi, to which I reply "shut your gate and the problem is solved", so they do nothing...... and he still chases everything in sight. :lol:

Edited by Mario2008
qoute of deleted post removed

It seems to me that a Ultrasonic Dog Repeller may be the answer,

It's a hand held device,that gives off a signal/noise when a button is pressed,

it doesn't harm the Dog,all they want to do is get away from the noise (that only Dogs can hear) Buy on line (there are several companies) and also on Ebay.

And not too expensive,I've seen them advertised at under 900 bahts.

Heres a Demo:

Edited by MAJIC

I find this topic a bit strange. A Thai lady seeks advise from Farangs. Hmmm....... :rolleyes:

OK i just got up and read ur reply and i would like to say...

1. I did ask both thai and farang actually.

2. Some of local people made fun of me like i said .."oh hey those dogs prolly got jealous of u that ur so pretty etc." or "Dont be so panic just bring wood stick" let me ask 3 dogs tag-team could u win?

3. Mai pen rai < mai pen rai and mai pen rai ...does it sound fimilar? so because of they like to say "mai pen rai" some people got bitten or got same problem like me didnt report to the authority.

4. I was mad yesterday when one of her dog chased me and she was there but didnt do anything to stop the dog but had let the dog chased me like 300m. so what to do to the owner huh? so i was desperated and asked away!

5. The reason I asked on here is because most Thais I know are so layed back, and don't really take much notice of the law with regards to this sort of thing.

I thought that here at least, some of you might have a better idea of the legal side of things, as most farangs seem to be very aware of the laws, probably because of being in a foreign land and having to look out for themselves.

Still find this topic a bit strange?

Regards

Kitiya

I had problems with dogs around my area a year back and they would pick on me (maybe cos I am Falang with white skin), they would get real close with teeth showing with a fierce growl and in fact one of the dogs had a snout mask.and would actually push its nose against folk,

Anyway best solution was a nice piece of wood batten 2 feet long with a number of 3 inch nails on one end. one day one who got close to me "kopped' it on its ass, a squeal and off it went, After that incident I got the barking and few growls but these 3 or 4 dogs knew me when I carried that weapon and never came close.

Problem in Thailand there are many dogs who look s if they are wild , badly cared for etc, but infact they are not and have owners who never seem to be around to control them and of course yes they are "badly cared" and guess thats why they can often be agressive

For a girl it must be more frightening, so take care Kitiya

Edited by KKvampire

Man....I am not a farang I'm a thai girl 31 year old. I am big but not that big and those 3 dogs tag-team! especially today when i was talking to the owner from outside about wot has happened to me yesterday (one of her dog attacked me) she acted like she doesnt care while i was talkin to her one dog jumped out of small wall and chased me..amazingly owner didnt stop it LOL my lord! i was lucky again as i reached market plenty of people so the dog stopped and walked back but still the owner didnt keep it inside but had let it on street waiting for me to come back! now wot to do? i discussed this to my uncle and he said "dogs didnt bite u yet so u can do nothing cant even report to police" woah ok then i replied ( ok then i will have to let them bite me 1st?) &lt;deleted&gt;

To add: I wouldn't pull that "bigger and stronger" trick unless you know what you do.

It works well for some dogs, Thai street dogs for example. But on dogs breed for fighting it doesn't work.

Wouldn't try it with 3 Rottweiler (which are also more heavy than you are).

Go to the police and make:

a) helpless girl that need help

B) point out that the dogs maybe bite/kill a small child and the police is responsible as you brought the problem to their attention

c) as this is very very hard work unusual and extra effort and as the Thai police is anyway the safer of the universe you want to give them some money for food so they remain strong fighting for the good (pass money, with let it look like it is not corruption)

I like the reply that suggests... 'Stop and throw your bike at them'... Quite a good response if you can actually land the bike on the dog. I'm sure it would remember you !

It's a shame that this is such a common occurance in Thailand. Some owners are never forced to be responsible for their dogs. This forces some to take necessary action they don't want to take.

To protect my girl on the back of a bike, I too would take extreme measures. But I'd also feel terribly guilty.

I think the best advice for the Op is the pepper spray option. Although how close would the dog have to get for that to be an option? (I suspect +/- 2m).

And, to some other posters comments: Who's cares if the Op is a Thai or a Westerner, She has asked a valid question, the responses to which can provide assistance to many other members facing similar circumstances.

And dogs sense our fear. We generally generate that primeval fear when some snarling, growling animal is approaching or chasing us. That essence of fear we give off seems to drive the dog on even more. The dog(s) need to learn to respect and fear us. For us to show them we are the pack leaders. With a pet dog we would do that automatically when we raise the dog from being a puppy. With a Soi dog it is different because they start to revert to their wilder state. Think of Dingos and Wolves. We are not in a position to train a Soi dog so we need to revert to using our power over them.

That power has to come from the threat of violence to the Soi dog or from actual violence to show the dog who is the Boss. Seems to me that is the only way here as owners do not seem to care much.

How to deal with the Soi dogs that attack / chase?

Most of the suggestions above will work. But never face the dog down unless you are very confident and show no fear.

Ultrasonics work.

Pepper spray works.

A baseball bat works.

Ammonia in a water gun works.

Poison works.

For a woman I would advocate using a method she is comfortable with at a relatively safe distance. To me that leaves 2 options. Poison or the ammonia in a water gun / pistol spraying at the head to get the eyes. A strong bleach solution should work also.

If you do not want to kill the dog with poison use the water gun method. Get a powerful water pistol. The rifle type are more powerful but not so easy to handle on a bike. Practice with the pistol with water only. When you have the knack, go for it. spray the *%$£"*

Personally I would go for the baseball bat or lump of wood method and give the dog a good hiding but I have been around big dogs most of my life, am a big guy and am more confidnt in that method.

Remember that if you are on a bike you need to be able to keep your balance while fighting back or have an accident.

Best of luck.... go for it !!