Nearly Attacked By Local Dogs 2 Times, What Can I Do?

kitiya1980

Do what my brother in law did ,buy a pellet gun and shoot them ,seemed to work for him.

pepper spray works very well

LOL believe it or not! im allergic!!! i went to see doc last week...er not sure about that kinda spray would work for me even perfume/hair spray, lotion i have to avoid -_- by the way thanks for all comments ka :)

Kitiya

Your not suppose to spray pepper spray on yourself..:lol: ....its to spray at the dogs (s)

To put salt and pepper on yourself might give the wrong message.....

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Allow me to share an experience . My son was bitten by a dog running around our village . He had to take the rabies course , it was a very unplesant thing to happen and we were all scared shitless . We had to wait and observe him in case he started to show symptoms of rabies . The dog was destroyed by its owner . So don't get bitten by dogs , even little cute ones .

edit ; even little cute ones with personality and little cardigans .

Edited by onionluke

Do what my brother in law did ,buy a pellet gun and shoot them ,seemed to work for him.

pepper spray works very well

LOL believe it or not! im allergic!!! i went to see doc last week...er not sure about that kinda spray would work for me even perfume/hair spray, lotion i have to avoid -_- by the way thanks for all comments ka :)

Kitiya

Your not suppose to spray pepper spray on yourself..:lol: ....its to spray at the dogs (s)

c'mon! me and my allergies so sensitive! i think i would sneeze too lol how about anchovy spray? since i love thai anchovyyyyyyyyyy:P

When a dog has rabies, doesn't it eventually become quite mad and uncontrollably aggressive ? Or is that a myth ? If it's true, stopping is not a good idea.

Yikes ! I just found this on Wikipedia : "Three stages of rabies are recognized in dogs and other animals. The first stage is a one- to three-day period characterized by behavioral changes and is known as the prodromal stage. The second stage is the excitative stage, which lasts three to four days. It is this stage that is often known as furious rabies for the tendency of the affected animal to be hyperreactive to external stimuli and bite at anything near".

Edited by Latindancer

Don't ride your bloody bike past the dogs then. Dogs ALWAYS chase bicycles. The locals, having espied a likely run at you just for the hell of it dog/s, dismount and walk their bike past, remounting when coast clear.

Were they carrying machetes?

Edited by silsburyhill

Allow me to share an experience . My son was bitten by a dog running around our village . He had to take the rabies course , it was a very unplesant thing to happen and we were all scared shitless . We had to wait and observe him in case he started to show symptoms of rabies . The dog was destroyed by its owner . So don't get bitten by dogs , even little cute ones .

edit ; even little cute ones with personality and little cardigans .

Sawasdee ka!

I totally agree with u! i have changed the direction today ridden bike another Soi near school where i used to work haha of course every Sois have crazy dogs this new soi have too but i chosen to go out get food in the same time that school ends (3pm) guess what! no any dog! but students! haha got it! coz those owners would keep dogs well since they 100% dont want their dogs to bite students or they'll be in BIG trouble.

I try my best to avoid that soi i wont take a risk! thai phrase "If the dog bite, Do not bite back" huh! but some of people in thailand the province near by wouldnt bite but eat! i wish those ppl were here!

OK now i added pics me+my bike.

Kitiya

post-84154-0-19890100-1321437405_thumb.j

post-84154-0-17047200-1321437495_thumb.j

Don't ride your bloody bike past the dogs then. Dogs ALWAYS chase bicycles. The locals, having espied a likely run at you just for the hell of it dog/s, dismount and walk their bike past, remounting when coast clear.

Were they carrying machetes?

OK no riding bike then I WILL WALK! (sarcastic!) wait til i win thai lottery ok? million! i'll get BMW duh! by the way lottery today resulted ...7777 -_- anybody have luck?

I am not trying to bite someone, well except Mrs soutpeel on occasion.... :rolleyes:

Be careful, biting her too often could give her rbabies. :D

What a nick "Payboy" LOL i think its karma...what goes around comes around...I used to bite BF very often and course he got hurt! farang skin -_- when he came back to the UK his mum seen it and asked him what happened? guess wot he replied to her? LOL well i will get him to say here when hes back from work ka!

Kitiya

F1fanatic, you do realise that rabies is alive and well in Thailand? If a dog bites you, in play or for real, unless the owner can show a current valid rabies vaccination certificate, you'd be well advised to report to the local hospital for a precautionary course of anti rabies shots. These days they are quite painless, though several visits are required. In my view, prevention beats the possible nasty alternatives.

OK in Thailand

1. If u got bitten by dog (outside) then owner must pay for treatment in hosp. dont laugh! coz my dog bit a boy who came inside my yard to pick football ..my dog bit him at leg but we had to pay!??! <deleted> is that? i asked dad why did u pay dad? he turned to me and said "moral"

2. The owner must also pay for wot we call "Kha tam kwan" or reparation? right? start 2,000 baht last case in my village a man got bitten by rottweiler (he sees dog everyday and nothing ever happen) right owner paid 5,000 and the case before like i said a man lost left ear and that crazy dogs owner paid 100,000 baht.

3. Crazy dog survived and ready to bite another people.

Kitiya

Good grief! It happens to us all now and again, but all you have to do is STOP and look at the dog.

They were either playing (enjoying a chase) or looking for someone to bully. Once you stop they realise there is no 'fun' and/or you have not been bullied away - so they stop chasing.

I can't believe how many people out there think its a good excuse to spray something harmful in their eyes!

I carry pepper/mace spray when I walk my dogs as ONCE a dog owned by a Thai was determined to get at one of my dogs (didn't back down) and actually bit me. The next time I saw him (and he was after my dog again), I sprayed it IN FRONT OF HIM. Understandably, he didn't like the smell and ran away - with no harm done.

This is a woman on a bike vs a 50 kilo dog. One of 3 dogs at that. You want her to stop the bike, put it on its stand, get off the bike and stand in the middle of the road saying, 'Nice, doggy. Good doggy?'.

Good grief! It happens to us all now and again, but all you have to do is STOP and look at the dog.

They were either playing (enjoying a chase) or looking for someone to bully. Once you stop they realise there is no 'fun' and/or you have not been bullied away - so they stop chasing.

I can't believe how many people out there think its a good excuse to spray something harmful in their eyes!

I carry pepper/mace spray when I walk my dogs as ONCE a dog owned by a Thai was determined to get at one of my dogs (didn't back down) and actually bit me. The next time I saw him (and he was after my dog again), I sprayed it IN FRONT OF HIM. Understandably, he didn't like the smell and ran away - with no harm done.

This is a woman on a bike vs a 50 kilo dog. One of 3 dogs at that. You want her to stop the bike, put it on its stand, get off the bike and stand in the middle of the road saying, 'Nice, doggy. Good doggy?'.

Now u made me want to hug u MC! u know how i feel right -_- put it this way, my BF visits me next time I want to stay pretty for him LOL!

Talk about making a drama out of a crisis!

So you've never actually been bitten but, realising that all dogs have rabies, spray pepper spray into their eyes if they get too close.

My advice given previously to those on bikes or motorbikes that find a dog/dogs chasing them- just STOP - works. Try it and see.

No drama in it all I can assure you, and seeing as we have established spraying a dog with pepper spray does no harm, no big deal...doggie goes away and if doggie is stupid enough to come back and try again, they will get sprayed again.

If you want to play dog whisperer up to you...I have my method, you have yours, but seing as you object to using pepper spray as a safe deterrent, I could always fall back on plan "B" and get a big stick out...thiat works as well...:whistling:

As I said before - I carry pepper/mace spray myself, but spray it IN FRONT of the dog rather than in their eyes.

If you think it does no harm, try spraying it in your own eyes....

Is this a legal product in Thailand?

Many posts have been removed for advocating killing dogs by extremely unpleasant and painful methods.

If these are your thoughts, please keep them to yourselves, we do not want them published on Thai Visa.

And a bunch more and their replies removed.

To the OP, you've got three options that don't involve hurting the dogs.

1. Buy a Dog Dazer II from Amazon, they work and you'll never be bothered again.

2. Buy a bigger dog, those mutts that are annoying you will bow down to pack superiority.

3. Go and bite the dog owner.

If you choose option 3 can you post the results on Youtube??? :whistling:

Many posts have been removed for advocating killing dogs by extremely unpleasant and painful methods.

If these are your thoughts, please keep them to yourselves, we do not want them published on Thai Visa.

I'm curious. Several people have suggested I should "take care" of these dogs in... well, lets say less than strictly legal ways, and the moderators have removed those posts for obvious reaons.

Has there be any disucssion of this type concerning the Crocodiles that are suspected to have escaped during the floods in the south around Bangkok, and if so did people here suggest similar measures to the ones that have been suggested here?

I realise it's not quite the same thing, Dogs vs Crocodiles, but nonetheless I'm still curious about how those disucssions (if any) went.

1. Buy a Dog Dazer II from Amazon, they work and you'll never be bothered again.

2. Buy a bigger dog, those mutts that are annoying you will bow down to pack superiority.

To answer 3 questions

1. I would...me and BF discussed this before i think he found one on amazon.uk

2. I've got big one his name is Lotte 10 year old and BIGGER than those 3 dogs but i dont want to end my life in thai jail cause mine so wild!

3. Not gonna happen coz i only bite male

This is my dog pic always keep him inside house! why dont they think the same?

Kitiya

post-84154-0-81502400-1321447886_thumb.j

I'm curious. Several people have suggested I should "take care" of these dogs in... well, lets say less than strictly legal ways, and the moderators have removed those posts for obvious reaons.

Has there be any disucssion of this type concerning the Crocodiles that are suspected to have escaped during the floods in the south around Bangkok, and if so did people here suggest similar measures to the ones that have been suggested here?

I realise it's not quite the same thing, Dogs vs Crocodiles, but nonetheless I'm still curious about how those disucssions (if any) went.

I think once the 1000 baht per croc reward offer was made the croc problem disappeared. There are a few Thais that thought that was good value. The crocs had no chance :D

I think once the 1000 baht per croc reward offer was made the croc problem disappeared. There are a few Thais that thought that was good value. The crocs had no chance :D

Darn inflation how many day can u survive with 1,000 baht? (20 GBP/30 USD) in the past i've visited fresh market to buy dinner wow with 100 baht i could get plenty of food but now haha those curries like Masaman, red/green curry cost 35-40 baht (in the past it costed 10 baht 5 years ago) i dont know about other people but for me 1,000 baht/5 days i can survive. bleh in my opinion i think the reward for croco hunter should be around 5,000 baht up.

Kitiya

To answer 3 questions

2. I've got big one his name is Lotte 10 year old and BIGGER than those 3 dogs but i dont want to end my life in thai jail cause mine so wild!

Kitiya

To be fair your neighbours dogs would probably die laughing at that photo :D

ps don't be saying you like to bite male, you'll end up with loads of pm's from a certain section of the Thaivisa membership :ermm:

Edited by theblether

Lots of suggestions how to react to this problem, but prevention is another option. My wife (English) is 4'10" and a couple of local dogs were giving her problems. I noticed that she sped up and raised her voice pitch. This WILL excite the dogs natural instinct to charge. The better approach is to talk LOW and confidently at the dogs and slow your pace (I'm afraid your heart-rate will rise, but this is not the main problem). This has worked wonders for all the women in my soi with these dogs. Another poster indicated not showing fear, this is true. I now tell these dogs that I am coming by talking low and loud towards them as I approach on our soi, they all run away and hide until I have passed. It is difficult , but you must stamp your authority.

Good luck with this problem.

Sawasdee ka!

Thanks for ur reply! haha guess what 2 days ago around 6 pm one of those dogs (same house) was attacking me and nobody was there but me and the large dog around 60 kg i was so afraid and i yelled i swore..."fuc_k off" (in english) eventho i am a thai supposed to swear in thai guess what it didnt work coz the dog got real mad even more...erm.

It takes more than just shouting abuse at them :) As you said you were afraid. Dogs can hear it in your voice. Screaming/shouting at them is too excited and aggressive. You don't want to fight them, you want them to have respect. Watch an Alpha dog walk through a pack of dogs and you will note that he doesn't run. When another dog is in his way he will growl in a low pitch, but not bark. This is how you have to behave. It is difficult to get right, but bar physical violence or avoiding it is your best option.

I am afraid that I have to level a criticism of dog ownership in Thailand here. Too few people have any level of control over their dogs. I have trained my friend's harmless, but large and unruly dogs to not jump up by just constantly praising them for good behaviour and not acknowledging them when they do something bad. As a result they will not jump up at anybody any more. It is this "pack" mentality that all dogs are craving. If they think they can bully you then they will.

Sorry that this isn't an easy answer. The only easy answer is high-frequency emitters, but I have not seen any for sale in Thailand that are suitable for dog deterring.

To answer 3 questions

Kitiya

ps don't be saying you like to bite male, you'll end up with loads of pm's from a certain section of the Thaivisa membership :ermm:

Let me guess ur from UK right? by the way i got more... 1st pic me and my avatar LOL and the black dog is my dog we always keep him inside.

post-84154-0-81922300-1321450887_thumb.j

post-84154-0-47303500-1321452424_thumb.j

Edited by kitiya1980

Now u made me want to hug u MC! u know how i feel right -_- put it this way, my BF visits me next time I want to stay pretty for him LOL!

You hug me while I kick the dog for you :blink:

That's good idea ok i hug u while u kick the dog for me when my BF isnt around and what next? what reward u would ask for?:P

To answer 3 questions

Kitiya

Let me guess ur from UK right? by the way i got more... 1st pic me and my avatar LOL and the black dog is my dog we always keep him inside.

:o How you know???

That's good idea ok i hug u while u kick the dog for me when my BF isnt around and what next? what reward u would ask for?:P

Hmmmm.

You could start by rubbing something soothing into my sore foot (The foot I used to kick the dog because it's teeth are so sharp)............ :unsure:

Then, my being a Gentleman, I'd get you to stop at the ankle :lol:

I wouldn't recommend ammonia because it would likely cause permanent damage to the eyes. The pepper spray option is the best. It causes temporary pain and the dog will recover. The dog will NOT forget you and will avoid you when it sees you.