2012 Ford Escape

The new Ford Escape has been unveiled in a press pack from Ford:

2013fordescape11.jpg

2013fordescape12.jpg

2013fordescape10.jpg

2013fordescape16.jpg

The new Escape is part of the "One Ford" policy, which means the Thai version is likely to look identical to what you're seeing here (though I wouldn't expect that color to hit the TH market), but with slightly dfifferent packaging to suit the local market/price points.

There's been no confirmation on the engines that will be available on the Thai models - other markets will be seeing Ford's 'ecoboost' (gasoline turbo) engines in the Escape, but Thailand is much more likely to receive more mundane naturally aspirated versions. Also on the card's engine-wise is the upgraded 2.0L diesel from the 2012 Focus, so long as Ford TH don't see that as clashing with their upcoming re-do of the (T6 Ranger based) Everest PPV.

At this stage, a local unveling is expected at the BKK International Motor Show in March/April 2012, with deliveries starting in Q4 2012 - unless next years' natural disasters get in the way..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Would the diesel cost much more than the petrol version, everything else being even? Certainly in the focus the diesel is quite a bit more expensive. This vehicle looks good though - just hope it comes with the diesel! would 1.2 - 1.3 million be a ball park figure?

Would the diesel cost much more than the petrol version, everything else being even? Certainly in the focus the diesel is quite a bit more expensive. This vehicle looks good though - just hope it comes with the diesel! would 1.2 - 1.3 million be a ball park figure?

Commonrail diesels are much more expensive to manufacture than natrually aspirated gasoline engines I'm afraid. Prices will be similar to the current models, plus probably 30-100K Baht to cover the new features (depending on grade).

Commonrail diesels are much more expensive to manufacture than natrually aspirated gasoline engines I'm afraid. Prices will be similar to the current models, plus probably 30-100K Baht to cover the new features (depending on grade).

Thanks, and I;m sure both would be quite different to drive too with their differences in HP and torque. If the vehicle isn't too heavy (and not carrying loads of weight) then the new focus engine should be fine in it.

I have to look again at the new focus but this has a lot of styling cues of the fiesta particularly the rear. It be nice to see diesels in more unibody LOS offerings, with the new ford focus, this escape and the new everest, the gap between prod lines is finally becoming narrower here in thailand which is a good thing. I personally would of considered more sedans and crossover suv's in the past had they a diesel offering. I like ppv's but their disel powerplants were high on my list of relative advantages.

what is the current state of the diesel subsidy fund, heard that was going to dry up soon. wonder what price will float to since its important for logistics and industry, advantages of reliability and efficiency would still remain.

Edited by caphant

what is the current state of the diesel subsidy fund, heard that was going to dry up soon. wonder what price will float to since its important for logistics and industry, advantages of reliability and efficiency would still remain.

There hasn't been any diesel subsidies since the current gov't came in, so what you're paying now is market price.

Gasohol products continue to be subsidized however - 91 E10 (1.40 B/L), 95 E10 (2.80 B/L) and 95 E85 (13.50 B/L), with the only contributors to the fund being LPG (0.9755 B/KG) and Gasohol 95 E10 (0.20 B/L).

There hasn't been any diesel subsidies since the current gov't came in, so what you're paying now is market price.

Gasohol products continue to be subsidized however - 91 E10 (1.40 B/L), 95 E10 (2.80 B/L) and 95 E85 (13.50 B/L), with the only contributors to the fund being LPG (0.9755 B/KG) and Gasohol 95 E10 (0.20 B/L).

Alright thanks for that, I remember the good days when diesel was 12-14 baht/litre. Guess i owe my more economical driving habits like coasting to red lights to the floated rate. I must of been misinformed because i was told by several people a soon to be exhausted fund was responsible for some of the relatively low price of diesel. Yet i would assume its taxation on petrol, and lack of the eco taxes levied on diesel as they did in aus whilst i was there, which meant price parity or diesel being more expensive per litre.

is just my eyes..or does it look similar to a Kia Sportage.. my how times have changed..

Thats about the most cutting and accurate post ive ever read here. Old Wine, New bottle. The appeasers will now tell us its Revolutionary, like a Ford New Ford Old Hat at a mere Million Bht .But it does have Wobbly Control, and an Automatic Gearbox . cheesy.gif.

From one of the shots it looks like the sunroof transcends to the rear seats. The rear aircon and dash definately give an upscale feel to this car, just hope the trims are not that hard tacky interior in our current escape. Thanks for the updates, hope we all get a sniff of new ranger based everest, this new escape if with diesel option and the future everest will likely replace my escape,

Edited by caphant

From one of the shots it looks like the sunroof transcends to the rear seats. The rear aircon and dash definately give an upscale feel to this car, just hope the trims are not that hard tacky interior in our current escape. Thanks for the updates, hope we all get a sniff of new ranger based everest, this new escape if with diesel option and the future everest will likely replace my escape,

Yep, the US market has an option for dual sunroof's - it's highly unlikely we'll see that in Thailand though..

Humm...lots of weird angular stuff going on with the design (including exterior lights and interior air-con vents) Ford may be going a little overboard in imho...can anyone say Pontiac Aztek :whistling:

It's funny - how many times have we all lamented the fact that the production version of a new car lost all of the character and cool design cues/details of the concept model? Now we get something that arguably even nicer than the concept model, and we complain that it's over-designed, hehe :D

Ford Vertrek (Escape concept):

fordvertrekconcept.jpg

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

MRO - did you see the article published today in the eother online newspaper? It implies that the diesel would come 'later', and they mention the 1.6 ecoboost engine initially. So what do you think they will introduce first engine wise? The ecoboost 1.6 or a 2.0 diesel? The article is a little vague.

Edited by culicine

MRO - did you see the article published today in the eother online newspaper? It implies that the diesel would come 'later', and they mention the 1.6 ecoboost engine initially. So what do you think they will introduce first engine wise? The ecoboost 1.6 or a 2.0 diesel? The article is a little vague.

My takeaway from the article was that Honda would probably NOT have a diesel engine option for the Thai spec. CRV...at launch or later.

My takeaway from the article was that Honda would probably NOT have a diesel engine option for the Thai spec. CRV...at launch or later.

Sorry I was referring to the ford escape. Lets hope the 1.6 ecoboost engine will be introduced in it, but I wonder how that engine will run pushing along such a large vehicle. Sounds like the perfect engine for a souped up fiesta:)

It's all just guessing I'm afraid, as Ford TH haven't uttered a peep.

In short, Western markets are downsizing, but the Thai market isn't - so it's a different ball game altogether.

While it's certain there will be ecoboost engines imported and fitted to export models, what gets sold in TH is a different story. The ecoboost engines, being turbocharged are much more expensive to produce than a regular NA 4-pot. In markets where people have normally been buying V6's (US and Aus come to mind), the ecoboost engines make a ton of sense, as they offer similar HP for similar showroom prices, but with much better fuel effeciency.

However, Thailand is not used to paying for V6 levels of power, and it's a market that's incredibly price sensitive. If the new Escape was 100K Baht more expensive than a similarly equipped CR-V for example (which it very well could be ecoboost form), that could be enough to price itself out of the market here. That's also why we get the lazy NA 1.8L Cruze, instead of the 1.4L turbo version that's leading sales in Western markets - we bitch and moan about price differences that you'd hardly bat an eyelid to in the West.

I really hope the BKK journo's guess is right BTW..

If it comes out in a slightly detuned 2.0L ecoboost form (which is the same engine that powers the Range Rover Evoque BTW) I'll be ordering w/out a second thought :)

But given more recent insights, I'd put my money on us seeing it in naturally aspirated 2.5L gasoline form, with the 2.0L TDCi as an outside chance.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis