Any Members Live On A Floating Home?

I don't mean like the old thread above, but rather a floating house. As there is so much water in the kingdom seems to me there could be potential to build and live on a floating home (not a boat per se, but a moveable home) No taxes? No permits? Freedom to move?

In Cambodia the reputation and perhaps the reality is one of poor minority (Vietnamese and Catholic) fishermen. But I see potential and budget living rentals for farangs in this too

I asked about this three years ago - 0 replies smile.gif

I haven't pursued the idea, but along the lines of the way Dutch barges and canal lighters are converted in the UK to residential useage, I was eyeing those huge silt/sand barges that get towed up and down the Chao Phraya. I've asked a couple of times about river licencing and navigation qualifications but never met anyone who could really answer. For example in the UK you don;t need any qualifications to own and operate a canal or river boat, but you do have to pay a licence fee to the appropriate authorities, pass a periodic safety inspection and have at least third party insurance, very much like a road vehicle.

On the subject of Cambodia's poor minority, I recall taking a tour around a floating village, as we pulled up alongside a traditional-looking wooden riverboat home I got a view of a complete home entertainment centre, big screen flat TV, video/DVD, stereo, the works - Not so poor...cool.gif They have people who make a living paddling around daily collecting discharged batteries, supplying charged ones for the night and charging the old one's for the next day.

Anyway, you can get started on Bangkok's waterways if only you can find a big-enough wok...

DSCF0161.JPG

Edited by phaethon

Which floating village did you visit? I spent several days at the mixed (VN and KH) village of Kompong Luang on the south side of the Tonle Sap. Yes, there are businesses and community establishments. I stayed with the Vietnamese Buddhist nun! I understand there is a more popular with tourists floating village on the NORTH side of the lake, nearer to Siem Reap. When I mentioned poverty I did not mean these thriving (?) communities but rather the fisherfolk on the Mekong and Tonle Bassac near Phnom Penh in the mid-90s. The local Khmer authorities attitude to them seemed to be 'shiftless drifters' even though they had jobs and families. I believe they were 'relocated'. Probably by the same fires as encouraged hundreds of residents of several VN 'slums' to move on.

My idea is similar to yours, possibly converting a barge, like you have knowledge of in Netherlands and UK, but more likely for me, a real floating HOUSE. Did you ever read that guide published about a retired couple who did the canals in theirs?

OT but of some related interest, the Land Code's definition of Land includes swamps, marshes, waterways and lakes.

Then the question arises, if technically waterways are subject to land use laws, is everyone subject to them or just farangs who are perceived to be rich? It doesn't matter what 10000s of sea gypsies might be immune from, the quesion is what would *I* as a foreigner and non-resident be subject to in terms of my own costs, municipal, province and federal taxes, harassment, risks, fees and all-round hassles. It's not like there are books and websites on this subject, as the situation is very rare. I would prefer to go into this eyes wide open with a general idea of what to expect.

Which floating village did you visit? I spent several days at the mixed (VN and KH) village of Kompong Luang on the south side of the Tonle Sap. Yes, there are businesses and community establishments. I stayed with the Vietnamese Buddhist nun! I understand there is a more popular with tourists floating village on the NORTH side of the lake, nearer to Siem Reap. When I mentioned poverty I did not mean these thriving (?) communities but rather the fisherfolk on the Mekong and Tonle Bassac near Phnom Penh in the mid-90s. The local Khmer authorities attitude to them seemed to be 'shiftless drifters' even though they had jobs and families. I believe they were 'relocated'. Probably by the same fires as encouraged hundreds of residents of several VN 'slums' to move on.

My idea is similar to yours, possibly converting a barge, like you have knowledge of in Netherlands and UK, but more likely for me, a real floating HOUSE. Did you ever read that guide published about a retired couple who did the canals in theirs?

It was a community of boat dwelling fish farmers on the northern 'bank' of Tonlesap. It was the contrast that struck me, rather like opening an antique cupboard to find a particle accelerator inside. Back then most of the boats had a TV aerial, probably got satellite dishes now.

What couple in what country? What put me off pursuing the idea on the canals here is the colour and smell of the water along with, on the larger canals, the high speed water buses. You don't see many house boats in BKK, I remember a picturesque one on a verdant green weed coloured pond somewhere around Makkasan, before the new station was built.