Best Location In Chiang Mai?

seasider

No need to book accommodation. Just go to a road called Loi Kroh Road in the centre of the city. There are many, many female "tour guides" who will let you stay at their place for very reasonable rates. You can't miss them. They stand out the front of their "shops" and are so friendly that they will generously invite you to have a drink with them.

Been there , done that in the nineties when i was living ,working (and playing) in Bangers.

Ideally i would like the company of a nice (good) girl which i will have and then some time to wander and explore around the centre and night bazaar area by myself and see where it takes me.

Dave2 : I did mean the Suriwongse Hotel. Well thats what it was called on Agoda. Flash sale and rooms inc breakfast for about 1100 Baht + tax. Not bad for a 4*

The hotel by the riverside that looked interesting was the 'Scorpion tailed Boat village'. Anybody know about this place?

It looks likely i will be staying in Doi Suthep now although i am delaying a bit before booking.

Anyway, thanks for all the good advice, i will let you know what i think of Chiang Mai in a few weeks :)

stayed in the suriwongse many years ago,very old hotel,eat alive by mossies i rember, far better hotels in cnx,cnx plaza, empress,changria la,to name a few

Advantages to renting a motorcycle:

- cheaper to rent and drive (fuel cost) than a car

- easier to find a parking spot

- 'Born to be wild, wheels of fire' feel

Advantages to renting a car:

- Much safer to have your body protected by steel than your body protecting the steel

- Can go longer distances more comfortably - explore more than just the area surrounding CM.

- Can drive even during torrential downpours

- You look less of a <deleted> (large farang with ugly helmets on small bikes are not a pretty sight)

- Less likely to be stolen

- Less likely to be stopped by police

As for accommodation, if you are in CM for the ambience or more of a backpacker type of tourist, pick a nice guest house or boutique hotel near the moat area, not to far from Tha Phae Gate. If you're here as a sex tourist or if you really like American fast food, stay near the Night Bazaar and Loi Kroh Road. The Duangtawan is a good deal, but it's not very cosy and it's very busy.

I used to recommend the Montri Hotel - which is now the M Hotel - near Thapae Gate, which is a convienient location, but last summer their rack rates had trippled in price.

I just looked at their website and they seem to have removed the prices completely. Does anyone know what they are asking now if one contacts the hotel directly?

When I moved to CM I stayed there for over 6 months. At that time it was around 500 Baht/Night standard rates. Just saw their prices and a bit confused. Don't quite understand their pricing structure. Does the 1,299 mean online/call in reservations and the rack rate walk in rates? The 1180-1299 is close to the range I paid a couple of years ago.

Room Name: #216

Bed: 2

Rack Rate: 4,000 Baht SMOKING

Superior room

• 1 Nov 01,2011 - Feb 29,2012

1,299 THB/Exclude breakfast.

• 1 May - Oct 30, 2012

1,180 THB/Exclude breakfast.

I would stay at the Central Duangtawaan Hotel near the Night Bazaar. It is a good, reasonaby priced hotel with a gym and swimming pool in a busy area for tourists with lots of restaurants and bars and such.

the duangtawaan hotel for the price range is the best in town i stayed there for a month a few years ago could not fault it

I used to recommend the Montri Hotel - which is now the M Hotel - near Thapae Gate, which is a convienient location, but last summer their rack rates had trippled in price.

I just looked at their website and they seem to have removed the prices completely. Does anyone know what they are asking now if one contacts the hotel directly?

When I moved to CM I stayed there for over 6 months. At that time it was around 500 Baht/Night standard rates. Just saw their prices and a bit confused. Don't quite understand their pricing structure. Does the 1,299 mean online/call in reservations and the rack rate walk in rates? The 1180-1299 is close to the range I paid a couple of years ago.

Superior room

1 Nov 01,2011 - Feb 29,2012

1 May - Oct 30, 2012

I'm not sure, but the M Hotel website only mentioned prces above 3,000 baht during last summer and as far as I can see, they are not mentioned at all on the website now.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Superior room

• 1 Nov 01,2011 - Feb 29,2012

• 1 May - Oct 30, 2012

1300 is also pretty much the rate on Agoda.

I'm not sure, but the M Hotel website only mentioned prces above 3,000 baht during last summer and as far as I can see, they are not mentioned at all on the website now.

I got that information from their website by going part way through booking a room. The prices came up then.

Any where in central Chiang Mai as it is easy to get around and many things in walking distance. Doi Sethup noway unless you want a 30 min. drive both ways each day.

I second this. But what would be nice too if we could do a map of Chiang Mai with the roads colored according to their complexity for pedestrians. Such factors could include, whether there are real sidewalks and if none how many vehicles you are sharing the road with, where the best places to cross the street are, and maybe where the street vendors like to setup.