Makro Stocks Very Low

IEMDavid

went to Makro to get some things for Christmas but everything i wanted was not in stock due to the floods in Bangkok,I asked a member of staff will Makro be getting stocked before Christmas and she said it will be well into the new year 2012 in all Makro stores in Chiang Mai before stocks are normal again.I could not even buy flour the make Christmas pudding,no flour till new year it looks like, A quiet Christmas with mama noodle this year i think ummmm

Maybe you all visit different places or eat different things from me, but I have a hard time noticing any difference whatsoever.

There seem to be a couple chains / franchises that are in trouble as they foolishly created a single point of failure in Bangkok in their supply chain. Hope they learn. But that's in evidence for 7-Eleven, Swensen's and maybe others.

But going to Rim Ping, Makro, Big C.. I'm not seeing it. Fresh seafood and fresh everything.

Go to CM Baker Mart for your flour.

Oh, Diet soda seems to be out. And mostly big bottles of beer instead of small ones. Now I just have to kill myself, life is not worth living. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Yollida yoghurt seems to have disappeared but I have a plan B for yoghurt.

Otherwise not really a problem.

It gets a bit weird as in a week ago went to Lotus and no cleaning products whatsoever apart from a few mops and sponges. All the powders, floor cleaners, dishwashing stuff etc gone. But then went to Rimping and they had them all.

Actually noticed dried cat food in short supply - that will not amuse the local feline squatters!

Do they still have Leo? Mrs. Expatmakmak and I were going to go and stock up for the festive season this sao-atit.

Last time I looked makro was stuffed with Leo and the dreaded Archa.

More importantly are there any sightings of Beer Lao by the case in CM?

Do they still have Leo? Mrs. Expatmakmak and I were going to go and stock up for the festive season this sao-atit.

They did have some at Makro a while ago. Not sure now with the floods.

They did have some at Makro a while ago. Not sure now with the floods.

Just drinking my last bottle of Beer Lao so need resupply now now, are there any recent sightings?

It gets a bit weird as in a week ago went to Lotus and no cleaning products whatsoever apart from a few mops and sponges. All the powders, floor cleaners, dishwashing stuff etc gone. But then went to Rimping and they had them all.

Actually noticed dried cat food in short supply - that will not amuse the local feline squatters!

Indeed dry cat food is in short supply for some reason. It seems all of the pet shops, Big C, Rimping, Tops, and Tesco are in the same boat on that one. I grab some whenever I see it because that is a difficult item to get. Canned tuna is hard to get also and has been for some time now. Was in Tesco today and 2 days before and not one single can available. Just got back back from Rimping Meechok a while ago and the only tuna on the shelf was either pre-mixed with mayo or in soybean oil. :bah:

But those are the only 2 items that I have found that are in short supply everywhere.

Indeed dry cat food is in short supply for some reason. It seems all of the pet shops, Big C, Rimping, Tops, and Tesco are in the same boat on that one. I grab some whenever I see it because that is a difficult item to get. Canned tuna is hard to get also and has been for some time now. Was in Tesco today and 2 days before and not one single can available. Just got back back from Rimping Meechok a while ago and the only tuna on the shelf was either pre-mixed with mayo or in soybean oil. :bah:

But those are the only 2 items that I have found that are in short supply everywhere.

canned tuna? Bought some yesterday at Hang Dong Tesco's, willing to trade you for some Beer Lao. Your moggie against my liver, fair trade?

canned tuna? Bought some yesterday at Hang Dong Tesco's, willing to trade you for some Beer Lao. Your moggie against my liver, fair trade?

LOL I wish I did have some Beer Lao. I probably wouldn't part with it however... It is odd how some places have some things and others don't - sometimes for many days.

Pepsi is gone from everywhere, but plenty of coke

Foreign imports are few and far between

Some shops only had 400g packets of Milo, but I found a Tesco Lotus with plenty of 800g packets.

All the variations on Milk had gone from Tesco, only Meijii brand available, but plenty of it in all sizes.

Beer Lao by the case Huay Kaew - Canal Road intersection. Off licence is on right side just before Canal Road heading Zoo direction. 920 a case of 24. Not sure for Lao Dark but I drink it regularly at the off licence with the tables outside along Nimmanheimen Road. They seem well-stocked for everything. Just a shame more bars don't sell Lao, light or dark. Beats the tasteless Thai beers by a mile and no thumping hangover

Beer Lao by the case Huay Kaew - Canal Road intersection. Off licence is on right side just before Canal Road heading Zoo direction. 920 a case of 24. Not sure for Lao Dark but I drink it regularly at the off licence with the tables outside along Nimmanheimen Road. They seem well-stocked for everything. Just a shame more bars don't sell Lao, light or dark. Beats the tasteless Thai beers by a mile and no thumping hangover

What a star! Many thanks for the tip. Just in time for the weekend too.

Happy with the regular Beer Lao, the Dark I can live without, I'd rather wait for an Adnams Broadside or Fullers ESB, or similar proper beers when the opportunity arises.

Edited by folium

I hit Makro Hang Dong today about 5p and saw the same thing. Honestly was surprised how many things were gone. Alot of sauces, some frozen vegetables n fruits, and some kinds of noodles missing. I'd bet they had about 15% empty shelf space. Also looking up to where they usually have palettes of backstock to replace things when they sell, the shelves were just empty skeletons mostly.

Not scare mongering here. Plenty to buy and eat. But really a noticeable difference to a fully-stocked store. Come on Winnie ! You must see a tiny bit of difference too !

Thanks again for the tip.

Just laid in some serious supplies of both the dark and regular Beer Lao, just so I don't have to start bartering cat food for a decent beer again!

For all other Beer Lao preferrers, the above off licence ("liquor store" for colonial cousins) survived my onslaught and still has 4-5 cases of dark Ber Lao and 2 dozen regular, and that's just in the front of the store. It is a bit more expensive than Makro but still no sightings of any Beer Lao there, so it's more a case of " a beer in the hand is worth....."etc

Just visited Big C in Lampang and their shelves were full. Fresh fruits, veggies and meats. Milk from three different dairies, Tiger and Heineken in cans and bottles as well as all the Thai beers. Things may be returning albeit slowly but surely.

Just visited Big C in Lampang and their shelves were full. Fresh fruits, veggies and meats. Milk from three different dairies, Tiger and Heineken in cans and bottles as well as all the Thai beers. Things may be returning albeit slowly but surely.

Then Big C is bouncing back quicker than Tesco. Hang Dong Tesco today had absolutely no milk of any variety, plenty of veg but no potatoes. Beer choice still very limited, Leo and Archa, with scraps of regular Chang.

Funnily enough they are also selling Alkohol-Frei imported German beer for the same price as the regular pilsner. Someone with a poor grasp of German will be in for a nasty surprise!