Seafood In Cm

jaideeguy

I've always assumed that the fresh seafood that you see in the superstores comes from either Rayong [in the gulf]or Raynong [on the Andamin sea side] and if that is true, why would there be shortages in the supermarkets now because both places are well out of the flood zone??

Can anyone confirm the sources of fresh seafoods in CM? and why the shortages??

As with so many things, Bangkok is a distribution center / logistics center, and many traders and wholesalers are based there.

It takes some time to find different channels.

Really unhealthy of course to cram so much infrastructure there, and be ao economically dependent on a tiny region.

Let's hope that changes now.

That said, I was at Makro early morning a couple days ago and there was plenty fresh seafood. Some of it still attacking me, Like the crabs. ;)

(A lot of seafood is farmed or imported of course, but that doesn't change the logistics/trade equation. )

As with so many things, Bangkok is a distribution center / logistics center, and many traders and wholesalers are based there.

It takes some time to find different channels.

Really unhealthy of course to cram so much infrastructure there, and be ao economically dependent on a tiny region.

Let's hope that changes now.

That said, I was at Makro early morning a couple days ago and there was plenty fresh seafood. Some of it still attacking me, Like the crabs. ;)

(A lot of seafood is farmed or imported of course, but that doesn't change the logistics/trade equation. )

Agree Winnie about BKK being the distribution point, but some seafood comes directly from Rayong to the smaller vendors. That route should bypass BKK.

Maybe the bigger superstores do come out of BKK and I was in Makro earlier this week and all they had were the tiny little shrimp ad none of the larger deep sea fish like wahoo and my favorite parot fish. Also noticed in Hang Dong Makro that the frozen seafood stocks were down.

always happy to smash some prejudice:

1.source: no, many seafood, esp shrimps and some tabtim, simply comes from ''nurseries'' or farms-simply pools in the country-some even quite near to our city. Every now and then these also get flooded-and the shrimps escape to their habitat! I like those stories!

2.in your mind it may seem easy that from Rayong-and that is just a minor port-it would be easy now to reach our city, but it is not-now. Most traffic will also have to bypass BKK via same-same roads=jams. And major truck-firms are also stuck with flooded trucks-and with demand for more essential transport as some farang foodies crave. Much more fresh seafood comes from the south-west of BKK=if you had followed the floods, you might have noted these are far harder to bypass now.

1.source: no, many seafood, esp shrimps and some tabtim, simply comes from ''nurseries'' or farms-simply pools in the country-some even quite near to our city. Every now and then these also get flooded-and the shrimps escape to their habitat! I like those stories!

2.in your mind it may seem easy that from Rayong-and that is just a minor port-it would be easy now to reach our city, but it is not-now. Most traffic will also have to bypass BKK via same-same roads=jams. And major truck-firms are also stuck with flooded trucks-and with demand for more essential transport as some farang foodies crave. Much more fresh seafood comes from the south-west of BKK=if you had followed the floods, you might have noted these are far harder to bypass now.

Ok....makes sense. But, I wonder if any seafood comes from the west coast....Raynong. I would prefer it from there anyway, as less industry/population/polution.....or is Raynong just too far away from CM??

A few weeks back I went to the government seafood market on canal rd after reading about it here and there was not much there (except the fresh fish stored in the freezers). I was told that the seafood come from the Phuket area and is distributed though BKK and there was shipping holdups due to the flooding. They said were expecting another load at 2 pm that afternoon.

I believe the shrimp are fresh water that are farmed around here too. Different areas have their regulations concerning what can be farmed as there is worry about the salt effecting the water tablets etc. And if you want to pick on the guy it's shrimp, not shrimps, just a pet peeve of mine (and no I don't have any pet shrimps named peeve!!)

I believe the shrimp are fresh water that are farmed around here too. Different areas have their regulations concerning what can be farmed as there is worry about the salt effecting the water tablets etc. And if you want to pick on the guy it's shrimp, not shrimps, just a pet peeve of mine (and no I don't have any pet shrimps named peeve!!)

I prefer prawns :D

As much as I like the story of the gung returning to wild, like a free willy noi. I'm afraid it's not true. Well not for gung talay anyway. Yes, there are fresh water nurseries around the Chiang Mai area but no talay! Huey Tung Tao is often referred to by tourists as Chiang Mai beach but it's a 'fresh' water reservoir. Seafood comes from the sea. As winniethekwai rightfully said, most of it has to pass though BKK and at the moment it's not possible. Kab pom.

The restaurants on Huy Tung Tao, some which have lovely little individual private bamboo salas, serve "Dancing Shrimp", a wonderful dish of a spicy salad with live baby shrimp (is the opposite of jumbo shrimp, shrimp shrimp??). When one opens the top of the dish they jump right out and off your spoon too if you don't mix it well. It's delicious, fun and of course very fresh! Anyway they keep them in nets in the pond and I was told that they are also harvest from the lake. It's such a great place to spend the day, go for a swim and relax, you'll feel like your nowhere near the city.