Is A Foreigner Allowed To Rent Out His Condo?

Does anyone know if we are allowed to rent out condos we own here?

Normally we are are not allowed to do any business. I see farangs here doing almost a kind of hotel business already. Is this legal and if so how about taxes on rental income?

Thank you for your response.

Let's say I talk to the immigration about renting out my condos to tourists the whole year. I have a retirement extension as visa. What might be their answer?

I think it's a don't ask, don't tell situation, and it would be very foolish to bring this out in the open to an immigration officer.

Let's say I talk to the immigration about renting out my condos to tourists the whole year. I have a retirement extension as visa. What might be their answer?

Return on Investment does not need WP, but income tax has to be paid

having many condos, it could be considered a business, but if you do not have a co ltd or business partnership, Phuket labour department still consider it return on investment, not work

I would seek advice from you local labour department and get the reply in writing

and thai law does not differ between condos, properties you have rented or control in other ways, they are all considered "your" and thus renting them are, again in Phuket, considered ROI

Now if you make them into a hotel or guesthouse with daily/weekly check in and out, thats considered work

search Phuket gazette FAQ for at least one link on this issue

Immigration will tell you to get lost, not their concern. They might show an interest if you tell them you don't have a non-immigrant "B" visa and are working without a work permit.

Immigration will tell you to get lost, not their concern. They might show an interest if you tell them you don't have a non-immigrant "B" visa and are working without a work permit.

Yes but he won't as he is on retirement extensions. So technically not allowed to do any kind of work. Perhaps some on retirement extensions have work permits, but if so, very rare and best to avoid the issue in the first place. I still think it would be very unwise to ask for trouble this way. Telling them what you are doing is making them think. That won't be considered polite. In case you do ask, nobody here can tell you what the answer would be anyway from all immigration officers at all offices.

Edited by Jingthing

if you are just renting out your condo or two, its OK (assuming you are paying taxes, like the House & Land tax (payable to the local district office) of 12.5% on yearly rental...which lots of landlords illegally evade.)

http://bic.thaiembassy.sg/node/93

....but dont confuse Immigration by bringing that up (they are not the Revenue Dept)...

however, if you have lots of units and renting them out as an ongoing apt concern....then it might be considered a business (if ever scrutinized) with work permit requirements, ABL issues etc. etc.

Thanks all for your response.

Of course I would not say anything to the immigration. But perhaps other people would do this for me ;-) In all my years in Thailand I have seen some bar owners getting problems when just talking to customers or removing an ashtray. There is a lot of competition and it is easy to find the wrong friends. So I would like to be on the safe side.

Perhaps the only way to go is really the written permission from the labor department.

And if I understand it from the link from trajan correctly I will have to make tax filings.

http://bic.thaiembassy.sg/node/86

Sure you could skip all this and hope the best. But this is not my approach.

If scrutinised - renting out even a single unit could well be work, even just signing the lease in country (or taking a phone call, meeting a prospective tenant, arranging inspection / repair etc, anything really)

Work permits aren't generic so even if had one it wouldn't cover it (unless specifically refering to these activities and this unit is managed or whatever by the employing company - in which case the foreigner isn't doing the work as owner which sort of defeats the object of self management at any level).

Of course, all depends on scrutiny.

ItI have 17 condos and three houses and a working permit + pay all my taxes.There is no problem.

What are you thinking by going to immigration they will look at you like your ting tong :rolleyes:

Oh and

"

In Topic: 3Bb Maxnet - What Else Can I Do? 1530 Does Not Help

2010-12-15 17:36:13

I think I VERY CLEARLY stated what is going on. Just want to make a monkey out of me here? What a bad board. Will not post here anymore. Just not worth the time."

.............................................................................................................................

:jap:

It looks like your opening post is wondering how can you get someone in trouble

Good luck with that :lol:

Edited by Artas

@Artas

Just want to insult me?! I helped many people with problems in the Thai Visa forum already. But when I needed help one time I got many stupid answers - like yours. Then I really gave up with my 3BB problem and this forum.

And again - I thank all the others of this topic who helped me a lot. This message is just for Artas who wants to get on my nerves.

He does not even understand my question. I did not talk about work permit but if I could get problems if I do this with a retirement extension. But he just wants to insult anyway and nothing more.

Edited by Beggar

Why would you want or need to tell immigration?

I think it's a don't ask, don't tell situation, and it would be very foolish to bring this out in the open to an immigration officer.

Succinctly put.. Gets my vote.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Of course I would not say anything to the immigration. But perhaps other people would do this for me ;-) In all my years in Thailand I have seen some bar owners getting problems when just talking to customers or removing an ashtray. There is a lot of competition and it is easy to find the wrong friends. So I would like to be on the safe side.

Perhaps the only way to go is really the written permission from the labor department.

And if I understand it from the link from trajan correctly I will have to make tax filings.

Has anyone here seen Labor Dept. actually give such written permission? It's very rare that any government dept. officially writes what you "can" do ... they're much more concerned about what you "can't" do. Government officials are always paranoid about making unilateral decisions and esp. putting that in writing ... and that's worldwide and not just Thailand.

Has anyone here seen Labor Dept. actually give such written permission? It's very rare that any government dept. officially writes what you "can" do ... they're much more concerned about what you "can't" do. Government officials are always paranoid about making unilateral decisions and esp. putting that in writing ... and that's worldwide and not just Thailand.

Well, a work permit is framed positively ;) but I take your point.