Driving Culture

huahinjoe

<quote> and have to tell you 90% of the students are failed</quote> That bit just isn't true..

In that particular case it was true, but i know what u mean, i didn't generalise...

Anyway when im see ppl how they drive they completely loose respect to the other ones, they never wait in the queue, come in front of anyone, specially some who really dont care and just go like a mad man.

I had an expired international driving license (from UK) which for some reason included as standard a motorbike entitlement up to 500 kg if I recall. The lady at the desk said that if it hadn't expired they would have just given me the car and motorbike license with no test whatsoever.

Crazy Thailand eh.

Hi there Roly. This might have been answered in another area of the Forum but can you tell me for sure about the 'conversion' of an International Drivers Licence into a Thai licence?

What are the requirements?

I usually visit for 2 or 3 months at a time so probably useful that I get a local licence.

Any other information you can give would also be appreciated.

Assume that I know nothing about the local procedure for getting a licence.

I have a Thai gf so can use her Family home for an address if required.

Currently based south of Swampy (Airport).

Thanks in advance

OH ... I just found a whole section devoted to the query ... so to have bothered you.

Edited by David48

• 1 month later...

i have found in my time driving in thailand that, even though it feels quite chaotic, and there are a lot more different types of road users to get used to, dogs, young children, hand carts, motorbikes travelling against the traffic flow, ladies shouting at you for a massage etc, after a while you get used to the chaos, and find that it all seems to flow along quite nicely

if you get into the feel for the flow of the traffic, and dont go too slow, or too fast, i have found the traffic system works well here

i have seen very few accidents, never get shouted at or beeped at for my at times useless driving, and find everyone's temperament pretty chilled

(but woe betide if anyone scratches my new Scoopy - i will rip his / her / it's bleeping head off) laugh.gif

You must have missed the 13000 dead a year in the stats then, compare that to "home" Jase!!

It Was the same in eu 60 years ago. No safety belt, no protection againsy rain or crash...

Mothers don't care if baby dies. Their life is shit and worth nothing. This is what they told me. So dying or living poor , they don't care....

Most drivers are on yaba anyway.

Most would be over 50% so that scares me. You obviously have access to government traffic statistics.