Fibre 2U Download Speeds

Valentine

Here in Phuket the download speeds for Fibre 2U supplied by TOT have dropped by 80 to 90% beginning on 7th October. Wondering if Bangkokians are having the same experience but please use the following website to check http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1 (use the link to L.A.) as I believe many of the other speed test sites are cached thus giving a high but false reading. In Phuket we are compiling data from all ISPs using this website as our guide & in order to be consistent. Thanks in advance.

Do you guys have any info? Would like to know more about this thing!

(from Chiang Mai as well)

In Phuket TOT are now offering Fiber 2U 10Mb down 1Mb up for 1,490 per month. You have to pay for the receiver but the fiber optic line is free up to certain length from the port (forget how far) but longer you have to pay. It does not seem to be affected by rain.

Do you guys have any info? Would like to know more about this thing!

(from Chiang Mai as well)

TOT likes to keep this one quiet. It's like a best kept secret.

I went to the TOT shop in Pantip Plaza Chiang Mai. There were no brochures or anything like that. The name "Fiber 2U" was not mentioned anywhere. I asked one of the ladies there and to my great surprise, she said, yes, we have it. She had to call somewhere to get info so this took a while but after about 30 minutes we had a hand-written piece of paper with available speeds and prices, details about sign up and cancellation, modems, yada yada yada. Available in my moo baan too. There are about 10 different packages. I got a 12/2 connection as it was pretty reasonable and upgrading to faster speeds is free, while downgrading to slower speeds costs quite a bit. So I am going to try this - if and when it arrives - and if good upgrade to 20/2.

Oh yeah there was a 20 page contract to sign too... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I checked with the Chidlom TOT office today in BKK...

The internet desk lady there had no idea what we were talking about re fiber internet...

Got her to call around, and finally talked to a TOT engineer out in the field on his mobile phone...

He said... no fiber now around your lower Sukhumvit area... wait another six months.

I checked with the Chidlom TOT office today in BKK...

The internet desk lady there had no idea what we were talking about re fiber internet...

Got her to call around, and finally talked to a TOT engineer out in the field on his mobile phone...

He said... no fiber now around your lower Sukhumvit area... wait another six months.

What the enginner really meant was wait another six months before calling again to get his updated response of wait another six months. I just love Thai time.tongue.png