What Are My Chances

Retired American military, over 80, in Thailand six years with three non-consecutive one year non-immigrant visas... two from Penang, one from California, legally married to lovely Thai widow. Got here before October 1998 not yet put 200,000 in bank account. Bought new car and house for wife... what are my chances?

Retired American military, over 80, in Thailand six years with three non-consecutive one year non-immigrant visas
you need three consecutive one year EXTENSIONS from THAI Immigration to apply for PR.
Got here before October 1998 not yet put 200,000 in bank account

the 200K is one of the requirements for the visa extension based on support

Bought new car and house for wife... what are my chances?

there is a good chance your wife is happy

As Huski says you need to be on "extensions" of a non immigrant visa for three full years before application can be accepted under current policy. What you have been getting are new visas rather than extensions. As the 200k figure is scheduled to increase to 400k this year not sure that and cost of PR filing and book would be cost effective down the road. You might want to just continue as you have been doing..

Will amend my previous advise to: if you can afford the 200k (or maybe less if you have provable retirement income that you certify at the US Embassy or Consulate) before July that might be the best thing for you (extend your current visa one year at a time). That way you will only have to report your address every 90 days and that can be done by mail if you live outside of Bangkok.

You are free to obtain and use multi entry visa and cross border every 90 days after July. What is expected to be restricted are the 30 day entry without visa and tourist visas. But suspect you may get tired of doing this later so I would try to qualify for extension now under current rules. Immigration will try to help you so feel free to ask them exactly what you need. It is really not much and then you are freed from visa runs and only have to appear at immigration once each year to extend your visa.