Canned Insects

dantilley

I was reading through one of my old Lonely Planet books today and it mentions in there that cans of insects would be going on sale and "look set to take the market by storm". Well, looks lilke that prediction wasn't quite accurate, but does anyone know if these can be purchased anywhere? They'd make a great souvenir to take home I think!

I was reading through one of my old Lonely Planet books today and it mentions in there that cans of insects would be going on sale...

Canned/packaged insects are commonly available... they just don't label them as such. Here is a sampling from the U. S. Food and Drug Administration's Food Defect Action Levels. Does Thailand even have such an agency?

ASPARAGUS, CANNED OR FROZEN -- Asparagus contains an average of 40 or more thrips per 100 grams OR Insects (whole or equivalent) of 3mm or longer have an average aggregate length of 7mm or longer per 100 grams of asparagus

CAPSICUM, Ground (excluding paprika) -- Average of more than 50 insect fragments per 25 grams

CURRY POWDER -- Average of 100 or more insect fragments per 25 grams

CHERRIES Fresh, Canned, or Frozen -- Average of 4% or more pieces are rejects due to insects other than maggots

CITRUS FRUIT JUICES, CANNED -- 5 or more Drosophila and other fly eggs per 250 ml or 1 or more maggots per 250 ml

MUSHROOMS, CANNED AND DRIED -- Average of over 20 or more maggots of any size per 100 grams of drained mushrooms and proportionate liquid or 15 grams of dried mushrooms OR Average of 5 or more maggots 2 mm or longer per 100 grams of drained mushrooms and proportionate liquid or 15 grams of dried mushrooms; Average of 75 mites per 100 grams drained mushrooms and proportionate liquid or 15 grams of dried mushrooms

PEANUT BUTTER -- Average of 30 or more insect fragments per 100 grams

PEPPER, GROUND -- Average of 475 or more insect fragments per 50 grams

TOMATOES, CANNED -- Average of 10 or more fly eggs per 500 grams OR5 or more fly eggs and 1 or more maggots per 500 grams OR 2 or more maggots per 500 grams

RAISINS, GOLDEN -- 10 or more whole or equivalent insects and 35 Drosophila eggs per 8 oz.

SESAME SEEDS -- Average of 5% or more seeds by weight are insect-infested or damaged

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...