A Farang Beggar

BambinA

here's a video of the guy

I usually give money to farang beggars, unless they are serial ones.

I've been there and know what it's like to be penniless/hungry in Thailand. If they're alkies, I might buy them a drink and discuss how they can break their addiction. Does me good. I thank the Buddha that beggars are there to give me the opportunity to show some compassion.

:D Respect your compassion and opinion, but I find it hard to really feel anything approaching something similar for that guy in the video.

I wonder if there is some mafia guy handler waiting around the corner for his money? :o If he is on somebody's "turf" already, then he is in big trouble. Either way, he looks able enough to walk to his nearest Embassy. Unlike most of the Cambodian landmine victims I've seen begging....

Sad.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the video,I am sorrry to say but..... :o ........If you look into his eyes,and if you look at the drug addicts,in holland,the same kind of aura,same kind of looking,just look at him.Clearly a heroin drug addict.

So he proberly thinks,beg,will get more then in Holland,drugs easy to get in Thai,cheap to consume etc etc.

If he goes on like that,not surpise me a oneway ticket to monkeyhouse.I could be wrong,I wrote down earlier do be careful what to think,I have to be careful,but addicts just seem to have similar appereances don't they?

What you think?

I saw that that Dutch "beggar" 5 weeks ago...obviously still trying to get his airfare together...unless it was the same guy I saw over a year ago :D

I'm obviously in the wrong line of work :o

RAZZ

Depends on what you call work, Razz. I wouldn't swap careers with him, would you? Imagine depending on the charity of people 24/7. And it's risky; begging anywhere is a territorial thing and I can't believe he's squared it with the local mafia.

Ive always followed a simple rule. Kindness and generousity are mine to give (by the grace of god) to those whom i so choose. Anyone who asks me for money i tend to just pass on by, no matter where i am in the world. But if i see someone down and out on their luck, i would much rather walk up and give them a few baht/dollars than the person who stops me in the street and gives me a hard luck story.

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2007-03-18 17:53:28)

If they're alkies, I might buy them a drink and discuss how they can break their addiction. Does me good.

Eh? That would be like seeing a house on fire and thowing some gasoline at it. You're joking, right?

I'm serious, and have done so in the past. One guy, a very good friend now, was begging for money for a beer, so I said I'd buy him something to drink if he ate something. I ended up buying him 2 beers, sorted out some debts he had with his apartment, took him to the hospital for some medication, and took him to an AA meeting the same night. He hasn't had a drink or a drug since. That was 3 years ago, and since he has paid me back all the money. It does me good in the sense that I remember that I was in a similar position once. I am eternally grateful for someone who took me to hospital and paid the bill and sorted me out. I am simply doing what someone did to me - the guy I helped has helped someone else in a similar way.

Never lose hope in the hopeless.

Remember too that ANY one of us could end up on the streets due to bad luck/sickness/addiction etc.

On a recent trip to Edinburgh I saw a wino on the street begging, with a bottle of whisky sticking out his pocket. I used to drink with the guy 15 years ago. He had 3 kids, all at the top Edinburgh private school, owned 3 antique shops in the city, racehorses and had a mansion worth about 1 million pounds.

Once I found myself on a Bangladeshi Biman flight to Calcutta - the worst airline in the world. I had been travelling round Asia and the money was almost gone. The flight was delayed for a day, then got stuck in Dacca for another day. When I got to India they wouldn't let me in as my visa had expired by one day. I was deported, marched onto the plane last by two armed policemen. The looks I got from the others in the plane was as if I was a serious criminal. Arriving back in Bangladesh, my money/credit card were stolen. The British Embassy was closed for the weekend plus another muslim holiday. I was penniless. What could I do apart from beg for money. Many people at the airport said "**** off", until one guy said he'd give me $10. I lived on bananas for 3 days and slept on the Muslim prayer mat- better than starving.

I saw him ahwile back when I was out with my fiance'. I stoped and just stared at him and his sign, because I knew who this guy was I saw him almost a year back at a different station. Then I just pointed and laughed and said, look at this Kee Nok Heeeya Farang, get a job you scaming bum! and walked away he couldn't even look me in the eye...pathetic.

At least this guy isn't forcing a copy of the "Big Issue" on anyone. Man, them guys really hack me off :o

Has anyone seen the Farang Jahova Wittness guys around Korat. Suit and Ties, name tag and of course a 10 speed Bike. :D They seem to push me off my Buddist path and I would love to tell them where to go. :D

I saw him ahwile back when I was out with my fiance'. I stoped and just stared at him and his sign, because I knew who this guy was I saw him almost a year back at a different station. Then I just pointed and laughed and said, look at this Kee Nok Heeeya Farang, get a job you scaming bum! and walked away he couldn't even look me in the eye...pathetic.

Your girlfriend must have been a bit embarrassed too.

On the other hand we seen a ot of people give this dude shit coz hes a farang beggar but there's also a lot of Thai beggars on the street who don't need to be there as well. What's the opinion of those?

This topic has been done and usually gets cut off by the mods. So I'll get my boot in before it does.

This guy is a fake. No! I am not being mean or lack compassion. I lack the ability for someone to take the pi$$ out of me.

I saw this guy for the first time at least 2 and a half years ago. When I related his story a Thai friend she said that she had seen him 6 months before then.

HHHHMMM! A clean, well dressed, well fed farang with a clean bag and, it would seem, a endless supply of yellow plastic and marker pens STILL needs help. Rubbish! My guess he lives out in the far reaches of Bangkok and 'commutes' to his 'office' to tap up a few soft farangs and some well meaning Thais.

He could teach Dutch, offer to paint farang houses or anything else. after all needs are the mother of all invention.

He should be bundled away by the police.

On the other hand we seen a ot of people give this dude shit coz hes a farang beggar but there's also a lot of Thai beggars on the street who don't need to be there as well. What's the opinion of those?

Yes actualy she was, I mean she was giggleing and all but she wanted to move on quickly. I can curse quite effectivly and rudely in Thai and I wasn't very quiet about you. You know about that whole non confrontational thing, and calling some stranger what I did was about as verbaly confrontational as you can get. But it was funny :o other pepole were laughing and snikering under their breath.

As for Thai Beggers in Thailand that don't NEED to be there I think they are F'ing slimy too. How about the nasty bitch at Asoke station... she buys sleepy new pupies every week and pimps out children to lay on the side walk with them to beg money for her. She I find even more destestable but the difference is simple. The farang I just think is cheasy and weak, this nasty wentch I would like to see delt with seriously as she pimps out children and animals to do her dirty work.

Looks to me the chap has things fairly well sorted. Evidently he is deriving a useful income and remains in a country of his choosing.

Now, how is that so different from all the other farang?

I suspect most of the indignant take exception for no other reason than it shows the Thai what they know already but the farang don't like admitting.

I have just seen the 'beggergate' video and would like to change my stance.

I too have met hard times.

I arrived here in BKK with high hopes, but fate has been crule to me. My story started when I met a foul harlet that leached my money away at 150 baht a time and all I received was a mere sip of liquid. As time wore on I found it hard to put a roof over my head. I was forced to stay with strange girls in dank hotels. Even they wanted me out after just a couple of hours.

When my money was gone I took to the streets. Often I was only welcome on plastic chairs along Sukhumvit road until the early hours before I was forced on, into the night.

If you could help I would be grateful. Please send money to me and my African pals at the bank of Nigeria.

Account no. 696969scam-2007con.

Thankyou.

Yes actualy she was, I mean she was giggleing and all but she wanted to move on quickly. I can curse quite effectivly and rudely in Thai and I wasn't very quiet about you. You know about that whole non confrontational thing, and calling some stranger what I did was about as verbaly confrontational as you can get. But it was funny :o other pepole were laughing and snikering under their breath.

As for Thai Beggers in Thailand that don't NEED to be there I think they are F'ing slimy too. How about the nasty bitch at Asoke station... she buys sleepy new pupies every week and pimps out children to lay on the side walk with them to beg money for her. She I find even more destestable but the difference is simple. The farang I just think is cheasy and weak, this nasty wentch I would like to see delt with seriously as she pimps out children and animals to do her dirty work.

Wondering what type of visa he's got if he's allways around, over 2+ years, as some say here!? :lol:too young for retirerment visa!

Edited by SamuiJens