Need Help Finding Very High Quality Optician

claaay

Hi everyone, new member here. This is my first post, and I'm preparing for my second trip to Bangkok in two weeks. I have been searching this forum for information about eyeglasses, but have not found what I'm looking for. I'm not so interested in "cheap"--this seems to be what everyone is interested in. I won't purchase online. I've tried inexpensive eyeglasses many times here in the states, and never had a pair that worked for me due to a complex prescription. I'd like to wear contacts but I cannot. Neither am I a candidate for lasic. Eyeglasses have always been a rather large expense for me, so I would like to try and save some money on a pair or two of eyeglasses by having them made on my next visit to Thailand...but I'm just a little apprehensive about getting something that will work for me. I would greatly appreciate anyone's help in finding the best optician in Bangkok.

I'm in the same (or similar) situation. I also have a very strong prescription, with astigmatism, and I've not been able to find anything decent here in Thailand. I have one pair of glasses that I had made here recently, which I rarely wear, due to the poor quality. Last time I needed new glasses, I just waited until I went home to the states to get them done. Both better and cheaper.

I don't know what kind of prescription difficulties you're up against - but if you are severely myopic like me (I am well out of the range of regular contacts), I would highly recommend checking into the custom-made toric contacts from Coopervision. My doctor in the US turned me onto these a couple of years ago, and I've never seen better. Really cuts down on the lens distortion introduced by high-script glasses. I've been trying to find a way to get these in Thailand, but so far I've only been able to get them in the US.

I didn't think about the hospitals in the area...I know Bangkok is a center of medical tourism, but that didn't occur to me. Contacts won't work for me because I'm cross eyed, among other things. Grinding in that kind of prism seems to be a very tricky thing. I already have the prescription, just need to find a place that is quite rigorous in quality control and has superior customer service.

Two people have recommended Rutnin Eye Hospital. As somebody who has used its doctors' services for 28 years, I can vouch for it as the best place in Thailand to take your medical eye problems. However, the optician on the ground floor is a separate business and I do NOT recommend it. It is mostly a place to get money out of you for expensive frames and has very poor consultation facilities.

If you only want correct eyeglass lenses and good frames, then I highly recommend Boonteng Optical at 593/11-12 Sukhumvit Road, on the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 33/1. Tel: 02 258 5053. They have a website, which tells you about their pedigree among other things. They are the opticians located within the highly-rated Samitivej Hospital also, but the Sukhumvit branch is the main one.

I repeat: for medical eye services, Rutnin is the tops, as any knowledgeable person will tell you, but their optician lets them down.

Edited by spr&q

Thanks to everyone for the excellent comments. It's unanimous that Rutnin is the place to go for medical services, and one dissenter on the quality of the optician available there. I contacted Rutnin, and found that they would require me to have an exam and new prescription before they can have glasses made for me. Fair enough....but since I have a recent prescription from my long time optician, I'm leaning towards taking that to Boonteng Optical and try to get them to fill it.

Edited by claaay

• 2 weeks later...