Can A Foreign Business Employ People Here ?

tebee

I live in France and my Thai wife lines in Bangkok. Now we don't get to see each other as often as I would like because my French based business doesn't really make the sort of money needed to support a lifestyle of frequent international jet travel.

Now I'm a sole trader and do everything in my business myself and there aren't enough hours left in the week to enable me to expand the business beyond my current turnover.

My wife is suggesting I should think of employing a couple of people in Thailand to do the drudge work, finishing things off, assembling and then packing them. It would probably make sense to dispatch direct from Thailand too - I sell online an most of my sales are to the US anyway.

But the first question that comes to mind is could I employ people directly from my French business or would my wife have to start one here for that?

I'm not looking at this as a way of getting a work permit - long term our aim is for her to move to Europe, but at the moment we can't afford to lose her salary.

It would be easier for her to start a business here in Thailand. The safest option for you and that offers you the most protection would be that you both start a Thai limited company with you as a shareholder. Since you don't need a work permit, the company does not need the usual 2-4 Thai employees at the beginning. You will be a minority shareholder, but you can weight the shares in a way that offers you greater control if you wish.

Sunbelt Asia has alot of experience setting up these kinds of companies and our lawyers speak both English and Thai if your wife wishes to contact us for a consult

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]