Gary Speed R.I.P

Lite Beer

Wales manager Gary Speed confirmed dead

Wales football manager Gary Speed died.

His death was confirmed in a statement by the Football Association of Wales.

The statement said: "We extend our sympathies and condolences to the family. We ask that everyone respects the family's privacy at this very sad time."

Speed took over the Wales job in February, and earlier this month, said the side's rapid improvement had exceeded all expectations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15909277

Wales boss Gary Speed found dead

speed_2067742b.jpg

The Wales manager Gary Speed has been found dead at his home after apparently committing suicide.

The former Leeds, Everton, Newcastle and Bolton midfielder was found hanged at his home in Chester this morning.

Police say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the 42-year-old's death.

The Football Association of Wales confirmed the news, saying that Speed's family had authorised the release of the information.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8918628/Wales-boss-Gary-Speed-found-dead.html

Manchester United striker Michael Owen on Twitter: "Just cannot believe the news regarding Gary Speed. We waved at each other a couple of days ago dropping our kids off at school. I'm numb."

Former Wales midfielder Robbie Savage on Twitter: "The world has lost a great man in Gary speed I'm devastated spoke to him yesterday morning why ! Why. Why !! I'll miss him so much

Former Wales international Dean Saunders: "I just can't believe it, I spoke to him last week, I roomed with him all the way through our careers with Wales, I can't get my head round it. I knew him really well and he was always level-headed, I never saw him down in the dumps. He was so fit as well, he was one of those who stayed behind after training doing press ups and sit ups."

Former Wales manager Bobby Gould on BBC 5 live: "Very stunned, still shivering, cold, a few tears have been shed. I've seen John Hartson and asked if he had heard the news. He looked at me in disbelief. He was due to be working on the Swansea game for 5 live but he had to go home. Speedy was such a great lad, my skipper. He had a tough time when he first took over but the last few months have been brilliant for him, he was starting to turn the corner very quickly. Welsh football was on the way up and that's what Gary created, he led from the front. I had my ups and downs with Welsh football but he was always there for you and never turned away."

Former Wales player and manager Mark Hughes: "I'm devastated by the news. Gary was a fantastic player and a top professional but, most importantly, a genuine guy who it was a privilege to work alongside and call a friend. My thoughts are with his family."

Former Leeds United manager Howard Wilkinson: "It's unbelievable, I've known Gary since 88 when I joined Leeds and I've rarely come across a better balanced genuine person. I watched him yesterday on the television and I find it unbelievable, I cannot start to try and understand what his family are going through. He had a life of success to look forward to."

Everton defender Phil Neville on Twitter: "Horrific news about Gary Speed my thoughts and prayers are with his family"

Everton midfielder Tim Cahill on Twitter: " Gary Speed was the ultimate pro on and off the pitch. So sad to lose someone so special to Football,Friends,Fans,Family Rest in Peace mate."

R.I.P.

It's always confusing when rich people that has been successful to a degree that they will be named in 'Hall of Fame' lists to be found committing suicide at an age where they are still active and could have many more successful years ahead of them.

I watched the friendly match between my country Norway and Wales only 2 weeks ago . They won it 4-1

In a few months as a manager he changed Wales completely into a winning side.

I also had a lot of respect for him as a player during his time in Everton.

Very tragic news. R.I.P

Gary Speed death: Inquest to open in Warrington

_57003829_013412536-1.jpg Tributes left at Leeds, one of Gary Speed's former clubs

An inquest is to open later into the death of Wales manager Gary Speed.

Speed, 42, who died at his family home in Cheshire on Sunday, leaves a wife and two children. It is understood that he was found hanged.

Cheshire Police confirmed that the inquest will open at Warrington Coroner's Court at 15:00 GMT.

Politicians in the Welsh Assembly are to observe a minute's silence in his honour later after the manager's death stunned Wales and the sporting world.

A tribute is also expected before Tuesday night's cup tie between Cardiff City and Blackburn Rovers.

In a statement issued on Monday afternoon Speed's family said they had been overwhelmed by the support they have received following his death.

'Overwhelmed' Speaking outside the family's home Hayden Evans, Speed's agent, said: "Gary's family would sincerely like to thank all the people that have sent messages of condolence and tributes in what is a very difficult time.

"We have been overwhelmed by the support and it really has helped.

"We would ask that the family are now given the respect of some privacy to just grieve on their own."

Mr Evans later told BBC Wales that the support had made a difference "albeit a small difference".

He said there was no indication anything was wrong.

"We spoke on Friday, everything was normal," said Mr Evans. "We speak regularly and meet regularly and there were no tell-tale signs and that's what's made it all the more shocking."

Tributes to the former Leeds United, Everton and Newcastle United midfielder, have continued to pour in from public and sporting figures.

On a visit to Manchester, Prime Minister David Cameron said: "I think it has been incredibly moving.

"I was watching Match Of The Day last night and watching people, crowds, absolutely silent and footballers revering his memory.

"Obviously here in the north, where he played for so many of the iconic teams, I know he meant an enormous amount to people and people feel very, very sad on his behalf and on his family's behalf."

MPs from all parties in the House of Commons tabled a motion offering the House's sympathies to Speed's wife and two sons.

It also demanded a "greater understanding of the pressures placed on those in the media spotlight and of mental health issues in general".

The Early Day Motion hails Wales' "significant progress under his guidance" in the 11 months since Speed was appointed manager and recognises his "inspiring effect on players and supporters alike".

It also calls for appreciation of the "sorrow and loss his death has left among players and football supporters across Wales and beyond".

Flowers The flags outside the Welsh assembly in Cardiff Bay are flying at half-mast as a mark of respect.

_57003989_013412467-1.jpg A book of condolence in memory of Gary Speed at the Football of Wales offices in Cardiff Supporters have left scarves, football shirts and flowers across several football stadiums - including Everton's Goodison Park, at Leeds United's Elland Road, Newcastle United's St James' Park, the Millennium Stadium and Cardiff City Stadium, where Wales played their home games.

Speaking on Tuesday night, Cardiff City manager Malky McKay said: "I'm sure the correct tribute and respect will be paid towards Gary.

"Our fans are fantastic. They will do exactly what I think they'll do in terms of tributes, be it silence or applause."

The FAW has opened a book of remembrance at its offices in Cardiff, which will be open from 09:00 to 16:00 GMT, and online.

Speed enjoyed a long and distinguished playing career which included periods with Everton, Newcastle, Bolton, Sheffield United and Leeds, where he won the First Division title in 1992, the year before it became the Premier League.

He was also Wales' most capped outfield player, winning 85 international caps, and managed Sheffield United before becoming Wales boss in December 2010.

After a difficult start, Wales' 4-1 friendly win over Norway on 12 November was his side's third successive win.

Cheshire Police said on Sunday that Speed's body was discovered at his home in Huntington, near Chester.

Officers said there were no suspicious circumstances.

I don't understand how a person who seems to have everything, no history of depression or metal illness, kills them seem with no suicide note or anything...and the police say there was "nothing suspicious"...? <deleted> how can it be more suspicious? Is there something they all know that we don't?