Crackdown On Alcohol On Retail Display

george

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe there is an upside to this........................a large increase in the sales of barbecues as the Farang community sticks 2 fingers up at the government and takes to charring huge slabs of meat and consuming their legally purchased beer round the pool on a Sunday afternoon.

But this will of course result in increased usage of bottled gas , and therefore reductions in the hours gas shops are allowed to open due to energy saving measures.

Also there are the added health worries of consuming vast quantities of red meat, so the government will have to clampdown on the opening hours of supermarket meat counters. Villa, Carrefour, Tesco are now only allowed to sell red meat between the hours of midnight and 8 am!!!

And so it goes on........and on.........and on....... ad infinitum :o

Seems to be the government is tackling the symptom rather than the cause.

Take two perfect examples. The US and the Netrerlands.

The US also has very strict alcohol restrictions for younger people and yet they have one of the biggest drug problems in the world.

The Netherlands on the other hand is much more relaxed on drug and alcohol use, and has much fewer drug related problems. People are also more inclined to get help, as they won't be locked up as readily.

Why the difference? I believe it is mainly related to culture and education. The more you try and deprive people of something the more they crave it.

A much better policy would be to educate people in the sensible use of alcohol and the dangers of over indulgence. Purely enforcing rules (an almost impossible task that only creates a thriving black market) is just another insult to peoples intelligence and enforces their own feelings of inadequate self constraint.

Now after that intellectual discussion - let's have a drink!

Will the last person to leave please turn the lights out :D

:o We get these comments everytime the drinking laws change. Few if any ever leave, they just make a big noise about it here then do nothing.

At least half the places I drink have no licence... so hours of operation are the least of their worries.

Keep this in mind. It's Thailand and.....

- Prostitution is illegal

- So is driving without a licence

- or riding a MC without a helmet

- and many other things that just don't matter to most Thais.

So lets stop running around screaming that the sky is falling. It's not.

cv

Well, well,

Even though I posted before that this could help me avoiding to drink unnecessarily, I think I'm adult enough to know when I want to buy a few beers, and when not. Formula One is written with "beer" at the end!

Anyway, the two shops I'm buying from didn't give a shit about the 12-11, 2-5 restriction, so my guess is they'll just further increase the price by 5 baht and continue happy selling.

I would think now it's time to ban rice. Rice makes me think of Asian babes and I get horny, which is a bad thing. The rice should be banned from the streets right now.

We support the new rules, not because we are killjoys or don't drink alcohol. But Thailand needs severe measures on a number of issues including unlawful cigarette availability, alcohol consumption hours, driving habits etc. Perhaps after Thailand has conformed to these laws, things can be relaxed a little. But for now it's necessary. Thailand aspires to First World status. It's not the economy and poverty alone which will decide this issue.

Now let's see some severe enforcement of the highway code, punitive punishments for motorcycles driving on pavements, driving the wrong way down one way streets, speeding etc., with the police to set the right example.

The pills necessary to put this country right are hard to swallow, but they are making a start. For one beauracrats are doping a good job. Keep it up.

We support the new rules, not because we are killjoys or don't drink alcohol. But Thailand needs severe measures on a number of issues including unlawful cigarette availability, alcohol consumption hours, driving habits etc. Perhaps after Thailand has conformed to these laws, things can be relaxed a little. But for now it's necessary. Thailand aspires to First World status. It's not the economy and poverty alone which will decide this issue.

Now let's see some severe enforcement of the highway code, punitive punishments for motorcycles driving on pavements, driving the wrong way down one way streets, speeding etc., with the police to set the right example.

The pills necessary to put this country right are hard to swallow, but they are making a start. For one beauracrats are doping a good job. Keep it up.

:o:D:D:D ..............yeah right !

As a non-drinker, I do find these new rules/laws silly to say the least. By stopping the sales at certain hours, hiding the problem that exists behind smoke and mirrors, or banning sales on certain days will not solve the problem at all. People will still find ways, even if it means shutting out the world while they do so. With the current administration screaming about tourism being down, this is one of the last things they may want to do. "Come celebrate New Years on the beautiful Chayo Phrya River, but don't even think about having a drink of alcohol while you do so." Makes no sense. Some of you are correct, the Thai's won't say anything. The whole action is a Thai trait. Let's hide the problem, stick our heads in the sand, and pretend it's really not there.

I'm all for stopping underage drinking, but that should come from the parents and enforcement of laws that prohibit underage drinking. I'm all for clamping down on drunk drivers. Enforce the law to its fullest. Lay heavy fines on stores and people that sell to minors, deny alcohol permits if establishments contribute to them. But, to take away from everyone under the guise it will reduce consumption will never work.

does this mean, no alcohol in restaurants, bars, disco's on holidays and sundays?

maybe men can buy their spirits the day before and bring them in those venues on holidays/sundays and order a coke to drink with the booze...

imagine news years eve without booze...

how old are these people coming up with such ideas? 2-3 I guess, put them in a kindergarten, this will at the same time solving the problem of finding new parlement buildings

there are laws enough dealing with alcohol related problems, just need to be enforced

Until this last announcement, I assumed the recently announced measures were seriously meant. This newest statement makes it clear that we are all the victims of a massive practical joke. Since we were all too dumb to get the joke when it was subtly presented, they have now had to go completely over the top in order to help us dimwits see the humour.

Will the last person to leave please turn the lights out :o

Just what are the politicians trying to do to what was such a wonderfull country to live in.

It does not affect me as i am not a heavy drinker but i am not sure about the tourist trade, with Vietnam opening to more and more tourists it seems that the powers that be are on self destruct.

Mike.

Will the last person to leave please turn the lights out :o

Just what are the politicians trying to do to what was such a wonderfull country to live in.

It does not affect me as i am not a heavy drinker but i am not sure about the tourist trade, with Vietnam opening to more and more tourists it seems that the powers that be are on self destruct.

Mike.

This is all about control.

Never fear though because Mr T is on his last legs, he'll be gone before too long, then things will be back to normal. Bars open all night, girls showing.

It won't be long till the good times roll again! :o

the law will also ban trading of alcoholic drinks during public holidays

This particular bit sounds so ludicrous it is just hard to believe. If there is one time a year people should opt for a drink, isn't it on holidays? So for instance, does this mean new years & the water festival are to be dry from now on?

As witnessed from past laws, these rules should serve to further transplant drinking out of regulated public places and into the private homes, apartments, and shadier businesses. Imagine the problems when all the impromptu drinking binges spring up all over the city during black outs. Who is going tp keep the noise below legal levels, especially considering outdoors or shared walls in residential buildings? Who is going to be checking ages at the door? Who is going to set closing time? Who is going to be watching for drugs? The answer is: not the government! There is simply no way they can be there everytime people decide to lift a glass at a residence or shady restaurant. Thus, the government will find it is no longer in control of the very things they wish to limit. So the sneaky side of me says relax, it may not be such a bad thing in the end.

Do you think any thais actually take any notice of all these daft ideas? I have spoken to many thais about them and they see only us farangs as being concerned. They all just smile and say they will still be able to get access to alcohol 16 or 17 hours a day just as they do now. They just seem to be used to not taking any notice of any laws which affect them financially. The age old profession being a prime example :o

Well spoken Dragonman. The Thais don't even care about the red traffic light, because then they have to brake.

Cheers........kandt :D

:o We get these comments everytime the drinking laws change. Few if any ever leave, they just make a big noise about it here then do nothing.

At least half the places I drink have no licence... so hours of operation are the least of their worries.

cv

THANKS !!!

I am always amazed by expats's expectations for the foreign country they live in whereas if at home they would just keep it quiet and keep shopping on Oxford Street...

Remember… it is THEIR country, they do what THEY like, and if you are not happy, turn off the light or YOUR condo and go in search of a greener bank…

~R

Ther's going to be rioting on the streets over this one

Thursday's meeting in Lumpini is sure to mention this idea

Taksin's just provided the nails for his political coffin (even if he didn't dream up the idea.

Do you think any thais actually take any notice of all these daft ideas? I have spoken to many thais about them and they see only us farangs as being concerned. They all just smile and say they will still be able to get access to alcohol 16 or 17 hours a day just as they do now. They just seem to be used to not taking any notice of any laws which affect them financially. The age old profession being a prime example :o

It's easy to dismiss new laws as having no effect. But look around you, actually they do make a big difference. Not overnight, but over months and years.

E.g. beer bars... do you notice that girls no longer dance around the pole on the bar? No totally naked girls in gogo bars? Sex shows? what sex shows?

Yes, it is possible to find exceptions to this, but there is no doubt that the scene has changed a lot.

Prostitution? of course it has not disappeared. Has it changed? definitely. Sometimes for the good - e.g. it's obviously less child prostitution now than before, even though it has not been completely wiped out.

Upmarket discos... they actually stop serving alcohol at 2am now. Not never, or when the last customer goes home. Things have changed.

Drugs? it is in fact more difficult to get recreational drugs in discos/clubs now than before. they actually do hold piss tests once in a while, frequently enough to discourage most people. not everyone is discouraged, but there is a clear difference to before. Things have changed.

The old ladies may still be selling beer from their coolers on the streetcorners all night long, but there is no doubt that all these laws slowly does change the entertainment scene in thailand.

Is it irreversible? I don't think so. We can see how in Europe countries change alcohol and licensing regulations back and forth, not just back.

-NM

:D We get these comments everytime the drinking laws change. Few if any ever leave, they just make a big noise about it here then do nothing.

cv

THANKS !!!

I am always amazed by expats's expectations for the foreign country they live in whereas if at home they would just keep it quiet and keep shopping on Oxford Street...

Remember… it is THEIR country, they do what THEY like, and if you are not happy, turn off the light or YOUR condo and go in search of a greener bank…

~R

Erm.......

How about no!

I will moan, i will stay, and I will leave all my lights on.....

Sounds like you've just stepped off the plane, still living in your little dream world.:o

Few more years and we might get something sensible out of you.

Erm.......

How about no!

I will moan, i will stay, and I will leave all my lights on.....

Sounds like you've just stepped off the plane, still living in your little dream world.:o

Few more years and we might get something sensible out of you.

Only been there 5 years, have a Thai partner and have previously lived in 4 different counrties inclusing a muslim country where the same rules apply.

May I suggest you leave your colonialism with your shoes... at the door?

~R

A draft law to control the consumption of alcoholic drinks has just been completed, Dr. Narong explained, and the process of public hearings for inputs into the draft is expected to be complete by the end of next year.

Please note that there will be public hearings requesting the public’s input, so for those of you here who feel that Thailand cannot possibly manage without your vast experiences with public health issues and input, please plan to attend one of these hearings.

Also note that this will not be implemented anytime soon as the earliest mention of a draft law being completed is the end of 2006, so there is plenty of time for you to influence your elected officials.

A set of related legal measures will be enforced under the law to restrict children's access to alcoholic drinks, banning sales near schools, temples and petrol stations.

This seems reasonable?

This is a draconian law.  Soon it will become a police state.  One of the reasons we live here is for fredom of choice in a liberal society.

Well first of all it is not yet a law nor has it even been drafted, and even if it were it hardly seems draconian (cruel or severe)? My home state prohibited the sale of alcohol in stores, but not bars or restaurants, on Sundays since the 19th century. That law was repealed a few years ago, although most liquor store owners did not support the repeal. They enjoyed having a day off, and understood that restricting access does not reduce consumption. (But increasing taxes, and prices, does.) (These laws were a vestige of a time when religious authorities held much more sway over our day-to-day lives.) I hardly considered my home state a “police state”, when alcohol sales were banned on Sundays. When/if this law were to be implemented your freedom of choice will not be eliminated. Your ability to purchase alcohol in stores will be reduced by 14%. Hardly a reason to be concerned about a police state?