Business I-Net In Samut Sakhon

OliverKlozerof

I work at a company in Mahachai (Samut Sakhon), about 45 min. south of Bangkok, that has about 12 internet users. Our internet provider is TOT. Even though we are connected to a fiber line, the speed we experience is slow, and I had some questions about our package, so I asked one of their representatives to come in.

According to him, our “2Mbps, ‘Premium 50%’ ” package *shares* a 2Mbps connection among everyone (12 people) in the company. (I think someone had told me that *each user* was guaranteed 2Mbps, but apparently that’s not the case.) The “50%,” he said, means that, for international (outside Thailand), the bandwidth is half, or 1Mbps. The current cost is B9000/mo.

Running speedtest.net today, testing to a server inside Thailand from my laptop, I got 2.28Mbps download; 1.39Mbps upload. That’s not too bad, considering it appears to be the maximum possible per the current plan. But of course, to California (again, on speedtest.net), got only .19Mbps download; .10Mbps upload. Very, very sucky.

On the company’s website ( tothispeed.com ), there is a current promotion for 7Mbps ADSL for B390/mo.

At my apt. in Chitlom I have True ADSL. It’s advertised at 6Mbps. In early days (a few years ago), I experienced speeds that actually consistently approached 6Mbps, but in the last year or so are never close to that fast. (I swore I’d switch to another provider at one point, but hearing many find the others no better, have given in for now.)

Anyhow, there must be a better option than the status quo for a company line. I emailed True through their web contact form today, but haven’t heard back. Maybe no one else provides service here? If so, that sucks. (I was not impressed with the rep, BTW.)

Ideas?

Please remember with an ADSL it is 6M down but only 384kbup so it not the same as 2M/2M which is a symmetrical service and this can bean issue for a business if you send a lot of emails or big emails, just onemore consideration before you make any changes. You may also find that fasterTOT services (because their on fibre and very reliable are not that much morefor 4 or 6M or even 10M). Not sure if you have a cost issue or a speed issueyou trying to fix? Yes the 50% or 75% international bandwidth issue is just afeature for Thailand we all need to work with It means that if most of yourtraffic is international you need twice the bandwidth you really need if mostyou traffic is domestic then not issue!

What you probably want is a leased line, which doesn't share the connection with others.

We have a 2M/2M fibre leased line in Pattaya, same speeds domestic and international.

At first we struggled to get our quoted speeds but after constant complaints they fixed the problem.

We now have very stable and reliable internet, supporting 20 web browsers and up to 10 simultaneous VOIP calls to a UK provider.

Costs us 25,000B per month which was around the standard for this kind of package.

We use Kirz, not sure if they will cover your area.

Check around the different companies (the well known ones, kirz, KSC and a number more).

Make sure to check that international bandwidth is equal, if they provide a backup line, router etc, their SLA and the rest.

Its not cheap but if your business depends upon it its a justifiable cost.