New Vip Bus Engines

wandrinstar

Cant even recall seeing a V10 anything. Mind you , i asked my friend yesterday what Engine was in his new Benz M Class. He had no idea.. He gets driven around, Some Guys have all the Luck. Ask him about Ducati and you cant shut him up. Hes got a Thing about Metzler Tires, i think he sleeps with one.cheesy.gif

worlds largest passenger mass produced vehicle, Ford Excursion 6,8 liter V10. used to have a 2000, 7 seats suv, red metallic with cream interior, only 300hp but went like a train. 3km/liter

and the most famous one, 8,0liter V10 Dodge. Viper sportscar. Ram pickup, used to have the latter one, 550hp in a pickup :P

Benz M, also called Alabama benz. smallest one was a 4 pot 2300cc approx 135hp, M 230E

most common in TH presently is a 3,0 diesel

and metzler tyres are crap. german bikers love them, but honestly Pirelli, Bridgestone and even some Dunlops are better

VW Touareg had a 5.0L Diesel V10 option up until last year too.. :)

Dodge Viper was the first car I ever hit the 300 KM/H mark in, so special to me in that way, but boy was it a piece of crap otherwise :D

convertible slightly better as you dont get your hair shaved off

and it took one hell of a driver to stay on the road. great fun :D

convertible slightly better as you dont get your hair shaved off

and it took one hell of a driver to stay on the road. great fun :D

The gear shift was awful, the clutch felt like a button type you'd put in a drag car, it leaked, sqeaked and rattled incessantly, and there was so much chassis flex you could literally see the whole car twist. It was a complete POS, but had so much motivation that it eventually went fast, heh ;) Definitely exciting from the point of view that if you just so much as sneezed, it'd probably kill you :lol:

I remember driving my first Porsche only a few weeks later (a 996 911 Turbo), and thinking, 'this isn't just on a different level, it's in a completely different farking universe' :D

I also remember driving my first Ferrari not long after (a 355 F1), and wondering how any sane person could test drive it and not buy a 911 instead :whistling: In fact the 355 F1 was so bad (still in the same universe as the 911 though heh) I thought something had to be wrong, so test drove a completely different example, but same result :(

Times have changed now though - all of these cars feel slow and cumbersome compared to current gen sports/super cars :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Who makes the Gearboxes for these VIP Monsters. Are they Splitter Boxes.?. Some do some cool sounding changes when they pass me. I used a 911 with the Sportmatic Box, i loved it , but no one else did. One slot Pure Auto. then just like a clutchless manual for a fun drive. Hate the 911 seating with my legs stuck out like im sat on the Beach.coffee1.gif. Yes i Know MRO, that was Years Ago , and Boxes are better now , but the seating aint any better , dont like lay down drive position being tall.

So what is it then for a vigo start, pre-heat or ecess fuel?

Seems it's fuel. Tried finding out but no success. Hand book says there's a pre-heat thing/light on the dash but mine hasn't, but it starts in half a second perfectly. :huh:

Seems it's fuel. Tried finding out but no success. Hand book says there's a pre-heat thing/light on the dash but mine hasn't, but it starts in half a second perfectly. :huh:

me to have no idea, but as they start in split second in minus 40C north of the polar circle, at least it works :)

my benz 300D always need a tow start below minus 20C, even with an extra 130A battery in the trunk

and my chevy van with 6,5liter V8 diesel could glow for 2 minutes before starting

me to have no idea, but as they start in split second in minus 40C north of the polar circle, at least it works :)

my benz 300D always need a tow start below minus 20C, even with an extra 130A battery in the trunk

and my chevy van with 6,5liter V8 diesel could glow for 2 minutes before starting

Yep, it really is impressive, the modern stuff. I remember when l drove heavy goods vehicles way back in the UK that the starting procedure was a nightmare :D..

Just had a look round the net and found this site, seems Toyota common rail diesels use ecess fuel but in a different way to what i descibed in my earlier post,

Seems there is a prelimanary squirt before the main squirt of the injector, thus avoiding "diesel knock"

http://sonimotors.net/Toyota-Hilux-Vigo/toyota-hilux-d4d-engine.php

There is nothing new about the common rail diesel system, 1943-'46: The Common-rail (CRD) system was invented (and patented by) Clessie Cummins Wikipedia, of course its been refined over the years, but the original Cummins CRD held on for many years, Camshaft operated injectors on 10 litre engines upwards, turn the key and they start. some had a fuel pre-heat on the bottom of the fuel filter, but usually mainly discarded.

I would think the trucks TA is on about are the old Bedfords and Perkins engined trucks, you had to open the engine acces flap, hold on full throtle and push in the ecess fuel button, if it didnt start from the cab, try again, and sometime a breath of either would help,

OP, bus boxes were nearly all ZF or Eaton twin splitter, Volvo always had there own, the geartronic, but its all changed now,

http://www.scanianewsroom.com/2009/10/15/fully-automated-gearchanging-no-luxury-in-a-luxury-coach/

http://www.enginesandgearboxes.co.uk/makes/mercedes-gearboxes.aspx is still ZF,

Yep, it really is impressive, the modern stuff. I remember when l drove heavy goods vehicles way back in the UK that the starting procedure was a nightmare :D..

was a nightmare ? now a day looking back yes, take the floor panel out of the bus get some rags wrap round the injectors and set the rags on fire, soon warmed up and would start..... :D can you see people doing that now?

As for engines and gearboxes, best by far and loved them was the old crash box + way faster change than anything newer, engines could not beat the 6-cylinder light-weight Gardner, would leave the newer coaches with Turbo's and there semi auto boxes standing..

Perkins sometimes had Key Gas Staring , with this funny little Pump handle sticking out the dash. Old Seddon Atkinson trucks still run in the U.K.. ,the Old Hands still love Em. Gardner Engines i think . I still enjoy an hour mooching round our yard with the Guys , , old memories i guess . coffee1.gif