Exporting, How And Who?

In September 2004, I will be returning to the UK. Not for ever thank God! However, I will need transport while there. Therefore, rather than buy a new motorbike, (I'm a bike person not a car person) I thought it might be an idea to send my present old motorbike home. Is it worth doing? Remember motorbikes in the UK are expensive. If yes, and anyone has done this before, could you advise me on 1. Who can I trust to ship it? 2. How much will it cost me? 3.Can I do it door to door? Many thanks in advance. PETE

3 things to consider

1. The standard to which the motorbike is built may be different With card there are all sorts of standards like for seatbelts, emissions etc

2. The cost of the freight, One of the major companies will cend it sea-freight probably about 6 weeks. If you send it air then expect to pay alot.

3. How much import duty will you have to pay.

In September 2004, I will be returning to the UK. Not for ever thank God! However, I will need transport while there. Therefore, rather than buy a new motorbike, (I'm a bike person not a car person) I thought it might be an idea to send my present old motorbike home. Is it worth doing? Remember motorbikes in the UK are expensive. If yes, and anyone has done this before, could you advise me on 1. Who can I trust to ship it? 2. How much will it cost me? 3.Can I do it door to door? Many thanks in advance. PETE

Cost for sea freight: Abt. 50 or 55 US$ for 1000kgs or per m3 whatever is better for the shipping company. Minimum charge to paid for 1000kgs or 1m3. Assuming you put the bike in a wooden crade volume should be no more than 2 or 3 m3 max.

Handling cost by the forwarding company in charge here in Bangkok somewhere in the area of THB 3000 - 5000.

At the port of destination you could do the customs clearance and transporting the bike to your home yourself which is the cheaper option or have the forwarding company do this for you against payment.

If you have lived in Thailand for more than 6 months and the bike has been in your possesion all the time means registered on your name and used by you customs authorities in you home country may consider it "personal moving goods" the same way as for example your used clothes and/or household items and exempt it from any customs duty/VAT payment. If you receive permission to import the bike free from tax/duty you may not be allowed to sell it for a year or so. (To be pre-checked with your home customs authority).

Have been working with Siam Kargo Logistics Co. Ltd. (www.siamkargo.com) for quite a while and made good experiences with them. Contact Mr. Sittichai Khammas. He should be able to give you a more accurate quote.

Good luck.