Best Place In Pattaya

skippybangkok

Live music.

Top end of 2nd Road on the left hand side heading to the Dolphin roundabout has 4 places with live bands. two that stand out are the Tattoo rock bar and the new Cosy Bar both near each other and both close to BigC.

Tattoo bar will play Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones, AC/DC and a lot more besides including slower music. They start about 10 p.m. and are often on until 2 or 3 a.m. 75 Baht a beer for Leo / Chang.

Poker Bar near soi 8 Beach Road. Not as good as it used to be.

We Are The World Bar Beach road also near soi 8. good but not brilliant. They have a break abt 9 - 9-30 as I recall.

Behind the World bar is Cloud 9. They start abt 11 p.m. Though their music is not brilliant.

Not pop or Jazz so maybe not to your taste.

Out of those listed I think Tattoo and World bar are the better ones.

As mentioned many times on here, The Blues Factory has the best live music in Pattaya without a doubt, but its more rock than Jazz

Yes, I have to agree, but then, it's been a long time since I was in the Blues Factory.

as a musician and musicologist

and only IMHO

i find the way the thais handle the same old tired rock standards

that sound so stale in farang land

really fresh here

to me it is bizarre but speaks

of their culture,

emotional intelligence

and their intuition

totally works for me

i am sure many disagree

and only IMHO

really fresh here

of their culture,

emotional intelligence

and their intuition

totally works for me

i am sure many disagree

Sorry can't agree. I think one of the problems is the range of most of these bands. If I hear one more band, anywhere, cover Hotel California, I think I'll scream, or as a mimimum walk out and never return.

I can see that these tunes are popular with the lot of Pattaya visitors / residents but why not mix it up a bit. When was the last time one of them tried a Velvets cover, or cheap Trick, or some punk / New Wave, Dylan, Van Morrison (apart form Brown-eyed Girl) Neil Young etc etc etc.. There;s such a range of stuff available that it seems a shame to limit customers to a narrow play-book.

BTW, the GO-GO's that concentrate on rock musc are equally as bad IMHO. TQ and Tim for example.

and only IMHO

really fresh here

of their culture,

emotional intelligence

and their intuition

totally works for me

i am sure many disagree

Sorry can't agree. I think one of the problems is the range of most of these bands. If I hear one more band, anywhere, cover Hotel California, I think I'll scream, or as a mimimum walk out and never return.

I can see that these tunes are popular with the lot of Pattaya visitors / residents but why not mix it up a bit. When was the last time one of them tried a Velvets cover, or cheap Trick, or some punk / New Wave, Dylan, Van Morrison (apart form Brown-eyed Girl) Neil Young etc etc etc.. There;s such a range of stuff available that it seems a shame to limit customers to a narrow play-book.

BTW, the GO-GO's that concentrate on rock musc are equally as bad IMHO. TQ and Tim for example.

100% agree with you! We call it the "Pattaya Top 100" - the advantage is, if you can play any of those songs, you get a gig in any beer bar on the spot. So why bothering to learn a great song that your band mates cannot play and as a result would never earn you a living.

I also disagree on deejah-'s statement that the Thais interpret the stale Western songs in a fresh manner. I cannot see any interpretation but rather the attempt to cover worn-out songs note by note with more or less good results. Exceptions apply, Pookie, for instance, t the moment working at Leo's Blues Bar, is an awesome guitar player with enormous technical skills (plays seemingly effortless Steve Vai, Satriani etc...) and still displays musical feelings - something that most high-speed kids completely lack of.

This is actually the reason why I hang out at Leo's so often...there are some real musicians, some of them used to earn a living in the music scene, and the jamming is on a rather high level - unless I enter the stage :D

Here's my list of 10 songs, (that are all fairly pertinent to life in Pattaya), that I have NEVER heard in a bar.

Velvets - Waiting for My Man

Clash - London Calling

UFO - Anything from Strangers in the Night

Neil Young - Powderfinger / Cortez the Killer

Genesis - Follow you - follow me

Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone

Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey

Cheap Trick - Want you to Want me

REM - Rockville

Smiths - Bigmouth Strikes Again

Any bar / music venue that occasionally played songs like this would have me as a customer for life - and I'm a big tipper !

Simon

Here's my list of 10 songs, (that are all fairly pertinent to life in Pattaya), that I have NEVER heard in a bar.

Clash - London Calling

REM - Rockville

Any bar / music venue that occasionally played songs like this would have me as a customer for life - and I'm a big tipper !

Simon

I did the ones in red before ...cool.gif

Clash - London Calling

REM - Rockville

Simon

The song that is most pertinent to Pattaya, (It should be the Pattaya anthem) is of course ' Is She Really Going Out With Him' By Joe Jackson. The opening line, 'Pretty Women Out Walking With Gorillas Down My Street' says it all really! Now i would go a long way to see a Thai band bashing that one out.:rolleyes:

Clash - London Calling

REM - Rockville

Simon

The song that is most pertinent to Pattaya, (It should be the Pattaya anthem) is of course ' Is She Really Going Out With Him' By Joe Jackson. The opening line, 'Pretty Women Out Walking With Gorillas Down My Street' says it all really! Now i would go a long way to see a Thai band bashing that one out.:rolleyes:

thanks for reminding me...this one is on my to-do list for a while...great song indeed!

Clash - London Calling

REM - Rockville

Simon

thanks for reminding me...this one is on my to-do list for a while...great song indeed!

+1 Great pick, love that.

Go-gos that play mostly rock music include Sweethearts (Walking St), Kiss (LK Metro), Las Vegas (Soi Yamato), Nevada (Soi Post Office), Tim (2nd Rd) and TQ (Beach Rd). Champion (Walking St) I hear has stopped playing rock--haven't been there in a couple of years--but it had always had a very limited playlist anyway.

Edited by JSixpack

:thumbsup:

This one would really crack me up as well....

A great song by a great band. Saw them in their pomp a few times and they were the real deal. Shane would surely have been a sexy man in Pattaya ! But i still rest my case with Joe Jackson. Surely Joe must have come to Pattaya on his holidays before he was famous! Any chance of somebody who is more computer savvy than me posting a link to youtube so the TV readers can judge for themselves! I would just love to sit in Soi 7 or Soi Buakhow people watching whilst this song was being played!

I was in a bar opposite Mike on 2nd road maybe 6 weeks ago and listened to an English dude who played Gary Moore (RIP) as good as the man himself. Just brilliant. I couldn't find him again.

The last time I had a moment like that was when I entered a bar in Brisbane, had a beer, looked at the playlist, looked at the sound system, freaked out, and soon found myself being blown away by Floyd the Concept. Fabulous. Sorry, a bit off topic.

A great song by a great band. Saw them in their pomp a few times and they were the real deal. Shane would surely have been a sexy man in Pattaya ! But i still rest my case with Joe Jackson. Surely Joe must have come to Pattaya on his holidays before he was famous! Any chance of somebody who is more computer savvy than me posting a link to youtube so the TV readers can judge for themselves! I would just love to sit in Soi 7 or Soi Buakhow people watching whilst this song was being played!

Make do with this instead, pissed myself laughing,

the good thing about the Thai bands is you dont need to look what time it is, just listern to whats playing and it usually to the nearest minute as the night before, and the night before etc. beer bars near soi 9 are a great palce to have abeer and watch the sunset then the band start time to drink up and go, so as a place not to go to listern, bars near soi 9 monkey house.

I once heard "I can buy you" by Nina Persson in the Beergarden on Sukhumvit Soi 7 Bangkok :whistling: .

Is that guy who can sing opera still doing the bluesy/jazzy set on Saturday nights at Hopf on Beach Road? That's always been a nice (but not cheap) evening for us when we've been down that way.

Agreed, Blues Factory on WS is just about the best place for some rock. Jazz Pit's not bad either.

Found Tattoo on Second Road to have a decent Thai band, they do tend to do the same rock standards but they do them well and the bands that play there get a good atmosphere going.

<link removed - please no links to other forums and blogs, see forum rules>

short review of Tattoo here.

Edited by raro