The Best Family Insurance At Thailand

Erikmonsy

I am a foreigner living and working at Thailand, married with a Thai woman and we are also expecting a baby in March.

We are looking for the the best (price/quality) insurance of Thailand.

Anybody had experience with any kind of private company's or with bank.

Any advise would be very welcome.

I wish you well.

You will have to find your answer by understanding insurance better and examining policies by yourself. That's not very hard these days, given the internet.

The best that a place like this can do for you is casual opinion that may or may not meet your circumstances. There are all sorts of people who post here who have had different experiences and have varying expertise.

I suppose that people could name insurers here not worth speaking with (to put it mildly!), but "Name and Shame" posts make site mommies very nervous, and understandably so, I suppose.

The bottom line: This is not the place to ask strangers for guidance about insurance...

...or, actually, about a lot of other important things! But it is still a useful place to check out from time to time! Especially for the best hamburger! :D

.......Oh Yes! I should add --- since I might seem harsh --- that the recent (partial) compilation of medical practitioners is (in my view) quite good. It is incomplete, but only because there are more good physicians and surgeons in Chiang Mai than have appeared on the list. We are all fortunate to live here for that.

Actually I will not follow anybody I am just on the look for information about any kind of insurance. If have any advice about this topic you can tell me.

Taking this response at face value (regrettably difficult from time to time on this forum), I think you can manage very well by accessing various websites focusing on educating people about insurance. After you have some basic knowledge about what you need, then you can approach various agents selling insurance in Chiang Mai.

Study well! There are many scoundrels selling insurance in Chiang Mai! Or, should I say all insurance salespeople are scoundrels !!! No, I really shouldn't say that! But there are indeed some scoundrels in Chiang Mai in the "best" of circles."

My advice would be to talk direct to the Major local players if your looking local coverage or international players if you need international coverage.

Personally i went last time with William Russel for international coverage.

BTW, your wife's pregnancy is not going to be covered. Too late now when the deed is done rolleyes.gif

Edited by MJo

William Russell is a good general source --- but their job is to act as agents for a lot of insurance companies, not teach you about insurance.

I should have added given the reply before: There is no "MAJOR" player in Chiang Mai --- even in the best of circles. Each one is interested in your premiums paid. The ones who work with expats are arguably the most greedy.

Edited by Mapguy

Rubbish, Bupa, AIA and others are all in Thailand and in CM.

You don't need agent to teach you about insurance. Get quotes direct, what comes to health the main issues are visible and easy to compare.

I really have no idea. There is a department in the Ram that can direct you to various companies. I would think they have reputable companies.

As for understanding the insurance if you want to sell it you should study it. For the most part health insurance is pretty much cut and dry not rocket science.

To purchase it you just have to see if it has the items you want. You can know insurance inside and outside and still wind up with a policy that will not deliver. As pointed out earlier there are rascals in the business.

I am looking for a family insurance.

I have already a car insurance and next year will have a house insurance as well.

What my idea was to maybe do it all with the same agency.

Also my thought was that the banks are more reliable in Thailand then the private company's.

I have already a car insurance and next year will have a house insurance as well.

Also my thought was that the banks are more reliable in Thailand then the private company's.

The banks only sell insurance companies policies, they are not allowed to underwrite their own, eg: K-bank sells Thai life as their bank assurance product. All insurance companies in Thailand must be registered with the Insurance Ombudsman and are more regulated than the banks are.

Using a broker can be a benefit, they charge no more than buying direct and can help find the right policy to suit your needs, where as a bank are only interested in selling the product they support and not interested in meeting your needs, remember their day to day job is banking, insurance is just an add on and the service they provide will reflect this in most cases.

the main issues are visible and easy to compare.

Sorry but no. They are rarely easy to compare, and I doubt this is any accident. It is not simply a matter of seeing the maximum payout and then comparing this to the premium for your age.

You need to look at what conditions are or are not covered ... are these important to you? Applicable waiting periods before being eligible? Then you need to look at the definition of each medical condition for each short-listed company ... so will be more inclusive than others. Which hospital can you be treated in? Do you need to get the OK from the insurance company before admitting yourself? If really sick, will the policy pay you to fly back to your country of origin for treatment? if you die will they fly your body back? Will they boot you out when you reach a certain age? What is their policy on pre-existing conditions? Will they cover you outside of Thailand or not? and on it goes.

Of course, some might shrug and say this is being fussy ... until time comes to make a claim. And all this before looking at companies track record for customer service and ease and speed of payouts.

The OP's thread title says he wants family insurance. One of the features of most of the health policies I have seen in Thailand is that (mostly) only individual policies are offered. In other words the OP will probably need 3 separate policies .. not one as is usually the case in (for example) Australia. There are a few exceptions to this but you will have to hunt them down if this is an important factor.

Edited by chiangmaibruce

What exactly do you mean by "family insurance"?

Is it life assurance to protect your wife and family in the event of your early death. Then you need Term Life assurance (Not easy to obtain as there is not much commission for the agents). Don't let the buggers sell you investment life assurance - not needed!

Health insurance for the wife and child to come?

Be specific, and members can help.

Your best best obviously be via a Broker - would ask for the ACS plans from AA Ins Brokers as I have been told they are underwritten by Allianz