Recording From A Slingbox

bino

A friend from Denmark has a slingbox in his house there, which he has set up for watching Danish TV.

He would like to be able to record sports events that come on during the wee hours of the morning in Thailand, for viewing at a more sensible hour.

Anyone know how to do? What software to use that actually works? How to set up? Any tips and advice greatly welcomed!

He would ideally need a DVR or PVR (Digital Video Recorder / Personal Video Recorder) in Denmark to be able to time shift

There is a program that will allow you to "record" the Slingbox stream that he receives here in Thailand, but I don't know how good or reliable it is since I have a Cable company provided DVR in the US

See this for more information:

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/jaksta-recorder-for-slingbox-slingplayer-review/

BTW. This site gives a lot of information on " place shifting " in addition to the recorder info

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/

Thanks for the links Langsuan Man... the Jaksta software in the first one is exactly what we bought, and can't get going! Won't log in to the slingbox. :-(

Will look thru those forums and see if there is any knowledge to be gleaned from them.

Thanks for the links Langsuan Man... the Jaksta software in the first one is exactly what we bought, and can't get going! Won't log in to the slingbox. :-(

Will look thru those forums and see if there is any knowledge to be gleaned from them.

This is what you're looking for. It works well provided your connection is good.

Bangkok Images if you had read the above posts you would know that the OP already tried your suggestion and reported that it did not work

Bangkok Images if you had read the above posts you would know that the OP already tried your suggestion and reported that it did not work

I see that it was your suggestion too.. It's been working for me for a long time, it used to be called "At Large Recorder" and then "At Large Recorder 2" and while it's never been a perfect piece of software, it does work. I'd recommend calling the company and asking for help. I'm sure they don't sell a product designed for the Slingbox that doesn't work with the Slingbox. A DVR is another option. I accessed my Cable company's DVR as well.

AFAIK there is no other automated recording software for the Slingbox. There are screen capture recorders, but they're cumbersome to say the least.

Gentlemen, thanks.

To be fair, I believe the Jaksta software is trying to do its thing. The problem is getting connected to the slingbox in Denmark. All attempts to log in with the software using the correct slingbox ID, username, password et al end up as "timed out" hence rejected.

Is it conceivable that I'd need to open a port on the Denmark side... to accept the incoming connection?

If I could get logged in and "hooked up" with the Jaksta software, it would work and looks perfect for what we need. Excellent software.

Tried their help / ticket system, without much success. They are good at sending out "canned responses" that aren't really relevant or helpful.

BangkokImages - I did read about AtLarge in the forum links / quest for knowledge about this software. If I finally can't get this going I like your idea of contacting them and asking If I can have a copy of their last version of this instead for the money that we have spent.

Gentlemen, thanks.

To be fair, I believe the Jaksta software is trying to do its thing. The problem is getting connected to the slingbox in Denmark. All attempts to log in with the software using the correct slingbox ID, username, password et al end up as "timed out" hence rejected.

Is it conceivable that I'd need to open a port on the Denmark side... to accept the incoming connection?

If I could get logged in and "hooked up" with the Jaksta software, it would work and looks perfect for what we need. Excellent software.

Tried their help / ticket system, without much success. They are good at sending out "canned responses" that aren't really relevant or helpful.

BangkokImages - I did read about AtLarge in the forum links / quest for knowledge about this software. If I finally can't get this going I like your idea of contacting them and asking If I can have a copy of their last version of this instead for the money that we have spent.

I've used At Large, At Large 2, Jaksta, and even the beta's in between. There is often some obscure setting that doesn't seem to make sense the life help can help you with. Getting ahold of them from Thailand was fairly easy, as it is from the statues.. so keep trying and i"m sure you'll get someone.

Good luck.

If he cannot connect to the Slingbox in Denmark then there is nothing that you can do here to capture the images or stream, since there is no stream to capture

He must have the Slingbox set up in Denmark to allow "remote viewing" which requires that he use a router and it's port forwarding ability

If he does not have anyone in Denmark to set it up for him or at a minimum reboot the Slingbox then he is out of luck since to setup the Slingbox for remote viewing it must be set up via hard wire from his computer (to access the router for port forwarding), Slingbox and the router

I have a Slingbox set up in the US and have a system of an Internet camera and an Internet remote control outlet switch to reboot my Slingbox, router or DVR, but this was all done before coming to Thailand

You are not going to get much help from Sling Media about remote capturing since that is one of the things that they are worried about and don't want anyone using the Slingbox to pirate television programs

And they are also pretty much useless when it comes to problems with the Slingbox, since they expect you to be at the location where the Slingbox is located

If he cannot connect to the Slingbox in Denmark then there is nothing that you can do here to capture the images or stream, since there is no stream to capture

He must have the Slingbox set up in Denmark to allow "remote viewing" which requires that he use a router and it's port forwarding ability

If he does not have anyone in Denmark to set it up for him or at a minimum reboot the Slingbox then he is out of luck since to setup the Slingbox for remote viewing it must be set up via hard wire from his computer (to access the router for port forwarding), Slingbox and the router

I have a Slingbox set up in the US and have a system of an Internet camera and an Internet remote control outlet switch to reboot my Slingbox, router or DVR, but this was all done before coming to Thailand

You are not going to get much help from Sling Media about remote capturing since that is one of the things that they are worried about and don't want anyone using the Slingbox to pirate television programs

And they are also pretty much useless when it comes to problems with the Slingbox, since they expect you to be at the location where the Slingbox is located

a. He states his friend IS streaming sports events already. So it is set up and viewing. It appears his problem is with the capture software which is setup on the remote end.

b. He didn't say, but is there someone at the house in Denmark who can help with settings and firmware upgrades if needed?

c. Smart to have that remote control outlet. I had a son, works almost as well.. :)

d. Absolutely, Sling will not help you with capture software. But they will help as much as they can from a remote location. You'll need the admin password through. You can't do as much remotely because some things require rebooting, but you can update firmware and change settings. Router settings 'can' be done if you have a remote access router like a TP-link or some of the others which allow remote access.